Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robsaw
I hope it means something as my legs have a definite physical geometry even if seat backs decrease to 0 thickness.
Yes, it means "something".

But to say you're better off with 31 inch pitch on airline/aircraft X than 30 inch pitch on airline/aircraft Y is a stupid comparison unless you also have full measurements of the seats.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yes, it means "something".

But to say you're better off with 31 inch pitch on airline/aircraft X than 30 inch pitch on airline/aircraft Y is a stupid comparison unless you also have full measurements of the seats.
And anyway, for those of us who can't/won't cut a piece of our legs, there is the option of buying seats that will accommodate our (uncut) legs.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Exactly.

"Pitch" is not a measurement of "knee room" or "leg room". It has a very specific technical definition.

When comparing identical seats, more pitch means more leg room, but if the seats are not identical, it means nothing.
The definition of seat pitch isn't really very technical. It's the measurement of the back of a seat to the back of the seat in front of it. Don't forget that seat pitch does NOT include any objects that might protrude into your leg space such as table trays, IFE screens* or literature racks.

I'm struggling to conceive where adjacent rows of seats may not be identical, as pretty much all seating classes are separated by bulkhead structures or other breaks in the cabin.

*OK, you've gotta have very tall knees to conflict with screens, I admit.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:18 am

har har har

Gee I wonder why AC employees don't post here as much as before.
My reference was to the hard product management has ordered. That decision came down to a few upper management who wanted to cram in more seats than even UA. This is hardly a four star airline, the best in North America quality hard product.

​​​​​this was in no way a jab at the staff that actually work on the aircraft. For the most part they are great.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:16 am
qsh

Programs: AS MVP BR *G
http://beaerospace.com/products/seat...ess-class/miq/
Same as CX A350 Prem Econ...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
These recent posts are great and informational. A couple things I am keen to learn wrt AC's 7M8:
  • If row 1 J has a footwell / recessed storage like some Airbus configs.
  • General feel of privacy in the J seats.
  • What the emergency exit rows will offer over the remainder of premium economy. For instance row 19 on the embraer is still one of my favorites for the pitch but also the shallow ridge running the length of the fuselage that I can discretely raise a leg up on when seated at window.
I'm excited for this new addition, but looking at the seat totals I see no better time for AC to cut the excuses and find a way implement seat blocking. After all, DYKWIA?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
When AC released the Dreamliner 787-9, they posted 31" pitch but then had to change their seating map to fess up that many of the Y seats were really 30".

Now, with the 787max, will seats end up with 28 or 29in pitch?

Nothing wrong with fitting in more seats at all... For a 1 or 2 hour flight.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
When AC released the Dreamliner 787-9, they posted 31" pitch but then had to change their seating map to fess up that many of the Y seats were really 30".

Now, with the 787max, will seats end up with 28 or 29in pitch?

Nothing wrong with fitting in more seats at all... For a 1 or 2 hour flight.
is there somewhere that lists which seats are 31" vs 30"?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by newcdn
Yea, the AC seatmap is identical to the UA 738, except AC managed to squeeze in 3 more Y seats

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._737-800_G.php
The extra three seats were able to be added because AC has opted for split lav/rear galley configuration with the 2 rear lavs at very back of the aircraft.

Those seats will likely be held for airport assignment in only given if necessary or used for crew rest on longer flights.

Downside is the lavs will be tigheter.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:21 am

does anyone know what the inaugural flight is? I'm guessing it'll be domestic
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by D582
The extra three seats were able to be added because AC has opted for split lav/rear galley configuration with the 2 rear lavs at very back of the aircraft.

Those seats will likely be held for airport assignment in only given if necessary or used for crew rest on longer flights.

Downside is the lavs will be tigheter.
1. If they are initially held, then I suspect that with time, they will sell those seats too. Incremental revenue!

2. I wonder how disability and/or baby change friendly those little lavs in the back will be. I've been spoiled by the big J lavs on widebodies for changing diapers.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
These recent posts are great and informational. A couple things I am keen to learn wrt AC's 7M8:
  • If row 1 J has a footwell / recessed storage like some Airbus configs.
  • General feel of privacy in the J seats.
  • What the emergency exit rows will offer over the remainder of premium economy. For instance row 19 on the embraer is still one of my favorites for the pitch but also the shallow ridge running the length of the fuselage that I can discretely raise a leg up on when seated at window.
I'm excited for this new addition, but looking at the seat totals I see no better time for AC to cut the excuses and find a way implement seat blocking. After all, DYKWIA?
Good thoughts.

I do like what appears to be an actual wall/bulkhead between & J, rather than the short curtain on the A319-21's.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
If this plane is going to do trans-Atlantic routes, will there be enough space for ovens/meals for a full load of passengers? The galley's look tiny!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YYC009
If this plane is going to do trans-Atlantic routes, will there be enough space for ovens/meals for a full load of passengers? The galley's look tiny!
Looks like it. Bolding mine.

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Just a different Ocean. 737's have been crossing the Pacific to Hawaii and beyond for a while know. Compared to the A319 operating YYT-LHR, it's technically an upgauge based on configuration.
These aircraft will be life-raft equipped and have more ovens to facilitate International service.

I can envision these aircraft touching down at:
KEF/BFS/GLA/MAN/BHX/LBA/ARN/OSL/OPO/PDL and on the other end:
HNL/OGG/KOA/ITO
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
is there somewhere that lists which seats are 31" vs 30"?
In the 787 thread someone measured the pitch, iirc only the first few rows have 31" and the rest are 30".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.