Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
@24left
Thanks! That actually helped!

Based on that, my suspicion is that a lot of shorter people can’t see it clearly and if the carry-on fits, then it’s “good enough”. I see this as to where all the arguments start. Unfortunately I don’t see it getting any better without better hiring a different mindset type of person as well as a passenger conditioning regimen. Does any non-FF actually read the boarding passes?

I was chatting with a co-op from one of my change management teams that if I had to build out an L1 operations team, I will usually select someone with a friendly personality and a solid basic understanding of computers over a tech guru any day. We can always tech process and more tech skills to them. We can’t teach empathy and (in many cases) good manners.

IMHO, I don't think short or tall is the issue. I'm not tall by any stretch but I clearly saw the infographic in each bin. But then again I'm on aircraft often enough to notice things and of course, this was my first time on this one so I was looking at many things.

The "it's good enough if the bag fits whichever way" way of thinking will exist until the 738 MAX is headed across the country or across the pond and bin space will need to be maximized more than on a one-hour hop. At that point, if the cabin crew are doing their job, they will repeat the announcement of how to store and maybe even walk the aisle and show pax how to.

I'm sure that a decent percent of the population will learn from that and maybe the next time, they will store their bag more efficiently. I'm a pragmatic optimist. lol

Also, bags in bins is one thing that the designer did right on this aircraft. AC chose a nice IFE, but the rest of this 738 MAX experience may not be pleasant for many. And people will have to suck it up since it will be doing a variety of different routes.

-----------

Speaking of 737s and what not......and how many of these did AC order?

Anyway, the other day, this bit of news "Boeing Recognized by GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ for 10,000th 737"

I thought I'd share a perspective I read here, which I thought was interesting. The subject is the old design of the B737 (whichever variants) vs the C Series & Airbus.

https://www.pprune.org/10087712-post20.html

QUOTE:

"Old Design? 2 pence's worth...

Another way of looking at this record is that Boeing have procrastinated too long over replacing such an ancient design. Since the introduction of the A320 Airbus have helped themselves to a very large slice of the market, with Boeing failing to introduce a superior, or even equal, design to compete. Yes, the 737 family's sales figures have been healthy, but really they ought to be regarded as a significant under-performance. Boeing could have preserved their percentage market share of the 1980s, 1970s, but ceded that without much of a fight.

If Boeing had introduced a new design 25, 30 years ago, and made it extremely hard for Airbus to win sales on technical merit alone, we'd now be looking at a very different Boeing to the one we know today. Airbus's unfettered success has been a 30 year indicator that Boeing has needed to do something, and the row over the very effective C Series is an indicator that the writing is being written on the wall.

Boeing can still regain their former leading position, but every A320neo sale that happens now is yet another 737 (or its successor) that isn't sold. Half-baked solutions like 737-MAX simply gives Airbus even longer to make huge money from the A320neo family, and leaves the field open for aircraft like the C series to take a massive slice of the smaller end of the market."

Last edited by 24left; Mar 18, 2018 at 10:07 am
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 24left
IMHO, I don't think short or tall is the issue. I'm not tall by any stretch but I clearly saw the infographic in each bin. But then again I'm on aircraft often enough to notice things and of course, this was my first time on this one so I was looking at many things.

The "it's good enough if the bag fits whichever way" way of thinking will exist until the 738 MAX is headed across the country or across the pond and bin space will need to be maximized more than on a one-hour hop. At that point, if the cabin crew are doing their job, they will repeat the announcement of how to store and maybe even walk the aisle and show pax how to.

I'm sure that a decent percent of the population will learn from that and maybe the next time, they will store their bag more efficiently
Has anybody else noticed that the weight allowance per bin is 30 kg according to the signage on the bin? I could be wrong by a few kg, but I remember thinking "one bag could be that weight, never mind the 4+ regulation sized bags that will fit in these bigger bins." Seems like a problem weighting to happen (ha!). Either AC will have to drastically limit the weight of carry on baggage, or the signs are wrong, or the first time one of these birds encounters real turbulence a lot of bins will come flying open.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ridefar
Has anybody else noticed that the weight allowance per bin is 30 kg according to the signage on the bin? I could be wrong by a few kg, but I remember thinking "one bag could be that weight, never mind the 4+ regulation sized bags that will fit in these bigger bins." Seems like a problem weighting to happen (ha!). Either AC will have to drastically limit the weight of carry on baggage, or the signs are wrong, or the first time one of these birds encounters real turbulence a lot of bins will come flying open.
Is the sign per bin or per bag?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 11:38 am
Suspended

Boeing's Space Bins for the 737

Boeing: Space Bins
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......" Seems like a problem weighting to happen (ha!). .

Bin there , done that. (ha!)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Is the sign per bin or per bag?
The sign doesn't say anything about per bag. Although that would certainly make a lot more sense.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:02 pm

Agree. But you would pay attention to those types of things. For those who don't fly even 1% of your frequency (that doesn't sound very nice, sorry) they'll see a stick they can't clearly read/view and they'll likely just shrug it off.

I admit, I do glance through the safety cards of new aircraft or new (for me) airlines... or when I haven't flown on the same for a long time. I do watch the safety videos if I haven't seen them as well (if for nothing else, it gives me an impression of how the airline approaches customers).

I'm sure that a decent percent of the population will learn from that and maybe the next time, they will store their bag more efficiently. I'm a pragmatic optimist. lol
Oh, that's very true. But the point I was making in my previous post... For flight staff, they need to be naturally socialable. You have that and you can train them the processes and procedures required to be a flight attendant. The FA to passengers ratio could also be improved in the back (or have one or two ground crew assisting with getting people onto the plane and having the cabin crew focus on getting everyone settled in.

You get the grumpy ones (which unfortunately outnumber the pleasant/professional ones) and you can see where this goes. And unfortunately the union reps are usually of the former types and will protect them.

As the airline is trying to maximize profit, they need to realise that goodwill and reputation is a form of currency (not easily quantified) and especially North American based ones are seriously lacking in that department.

Also, bags in bins is one thing that the designer did right on this aircraft. AC chose a nice IFE, but the rest of this 738 MAX experience may not be pleasant for many. And people will have to suck it up since it will be doing a variety of different routes.
Until the airlines actually see large amounts of customers walking, they won't budge (or learn). It will take many years to fix AC's problem (any specific ones). I don't think there needs to be any giant turnover of staff, but the thing has to come top down and not let the bean counters rule the roost (they of course should have input, but not the final say).

The problem is that the bags come in all shapes and sizes and weights. Since AC has removed the weight limit ("...light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted") let's assume the average has gone up from 7kg (~15lbs) to 10kg (~22lbs).

Reference: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../carry-on.html

At four items, that's already more than the thing can handle... one good up/down and there are going to be a tad few broken latches...

I don't even know why they removed the weight restriction... people will go over it (especially after accounting for duty free)... (note, I am biased as I take mostly TPAC flights)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
But you would pay attention to those types of things. For those who don't fly even 1% of your frequency (that doesn't sound very nice, sorry) they'll see a stick they can't clearly read/view and they'll likely just shrug it off.
I question this assertion. Many people have elevated senses in unfamiliar environments and might notice details that others accustomed to a set routine might not. I don't think there's any reliable correlation between attention to detail on board and frequency of flights. We know from abundant publicized examples that high-frequency flyers are as likely as anybody else to ignore or disregard suggested behaviour once boarded.

Hopefully, flight attendants have the time to gently educate the more oblivious among the herd.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
More than half a dozen times I've seen people try to put their rollerbag in the overhead perpendicular to the existing bags, either sticking way out or sliding deep into the bin, depending on A/C.

People fail to not only read signs, but basic pattern recognition.
24left and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Wouldn't putting carryon side ways vs. wheels in first reduces room for others? Creating more unsuable bin space? Is the bin deep enough to stack 2 carryon side ways? Curious to know.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Wouldn't putting carryon side ways vs. wheels in first reduces room for others? Creating more unsuable bin space? Is the bin deep enough to stack 2 carryon side ways? Curious to know.

Here is a photo from the Boeing link I posted upthread.

Maybe copies should be handed out to pax upon boarding. That should help provide visual instructions without FAs having to "teach" everyone what to do. just saying.......

This is not hard.

Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:00 pm

I never fail to wonder why those who complain loudest don't exercise options to use competing providers. For those who live in Calgary, such options exist.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 19, 2018 at 5:32 am Reason: off topic
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
A I never fail to wonder why those who complain loudest don't exercise options to use competing providers. For those who live in Calgary, such options exist.
174 seats in the competitor's 737-8MAX plane. 169 in the AC configuration. For a lowest-rung Economy seat, is there a difference in pitch/space?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
174 seats in the competitor's 737-8MAX plane. 169 in the AC configuration. For a lowest-rung Economy seat, is there a difference in pitch/space?
No, there's essentially no difference, but the discussion wasn't limited to comparing AC vs WS 737 Max aircraft. In a wider scope, there are plenty of airlines that aren't AC using airplanes that aren't 737 Maxes to consider when dissatisfied with what AC offers in terms of product and/or service.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
"Sideways" could mean a lot of things, I took it to mean put it in with handle bar to the left, wheels to the right.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.