Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AC E35K, Nexus
Found an interior rendering in the Investor Day presentation posted online.

Carfield likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by smallmj
I find it interesting that about a third of Y seats are preferred. AC must assume that a lot of people will want to buy a bit of extra legroom. I wish they specified how much extra pitch the preferred seats get.
No, I think that AC assumes that a lot of people choose exclusively on price and lack the interest, ability and inclination to check things like "comfort". 1 in 100,000 will complain about the service to CBC later because they last flew in 1983 and still have their silverware they stole.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:19 pm

Will AC still label the premium cabin as "business class" for the flights to Ireland, or will they just adjust the pricing for those special transatlantic flights to Ireland? The seats remind me more of their current "premium economy" seats on its 787s.

Carfield
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Carfield
Will AC still label the premium cabin as "business class" for the flights to Ireland, or will they just adjust the pricing for those special transatlantic flights to Ireland? The seats remind me more of their current "premium economy" seats on its 787s.

Carfield
The YYT-LHR A319 flight offers "business class", so I guess it will be the same for 737s.
Carfield likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Wow. 30" pitch in Y. That's below my minimum. Might as well be Rouge.

When the 7M8 comes up for any flight I want I guess I'll be price comparing AC preferred seats to regular Y on WS or Porter. As a bottom feeder type traveler, I choose the cheapest acceptable seat. 30" pitch is not acceptable, so it won't be considered by me.

I find it interesting that about a third of Y seats are preferred. AC must assume that a lot of people will want to buy a bit of extra legroom. I wish they specified how much extra pitch the preferred seats get.
Given the # of preferred seats on the 737 with superior legroom in economy class, then AC is betting that they can fill the cabin. There's a cabin for everyone, including those such as yourself who are price sensitive. Last I checked WestJet's 737s also are slimline but feature 1" more pitch? Given that AC's CASM is competitive vs WestJet based on the investor presentation, I wonder if Air Canada will simply outprice WestJet in a bid to fill the bottom of the barrel seats.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Wow. 30" pitch in Y. That's below my minimum. Might as well be Rouge.

When the 7M8 comes up for any flight I want I guess I'll be price comparing AC preferred seats to regular Y on WS or Porter. As a bottom feeder type traveler, I choose the cheapest acceptable seat. 30" pitch is not acceptable, so it won't be considered by me.

30" isn't surprising, the 789s are also 30" and they fly some of the longest AC routes.

WestJet is also moving to 30".

At this point I'm just happy it is not 29" and still has AVOD

Last edited by newcdn; Sep 19, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Amazing how the flying public has either capitulated to the reduced seat pitch movement, or opened their wallets to escape it. 32" was the economy norm, and 34" in some aircraft was also standard, yet here we are thankful for 30" and paying extra on some airlines for economy plus at 35" - a mere inch over what used to be the free norm on an Embraer.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new 737 Max in bandit livery, but am in no rush to fly aboard one, thanks.
kylejaymes and gcashin like this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Amazing how the flying public has either capitulated to the reduced seat pitch movement, or opened their wallets to escape it. 32" was the economy norm, and 34" in some aircraft was also standard, yet here we are thankful for 30" and paying extra on some airlines for economy plus at 35" - a mere inch over what used to be the free norm on an Embraer.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new 737 Max in bandit livery, but am in no rush to fly aboard one, thanks.
It's only really a problem with north american airlines....... asian and european airlines still have some dignity left.
People won't be able to avoid 30" pitch on domestic/US routes in a few years, but maybe with the slimline seats it won't be as bad
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: AC*A
Since the AC map matches UA's 738s in terms of rows, I'd imagine Y+ is 34". Youch.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Orcair
Since the AC map matches UA's 738s in terms of rows, I'd imagine Y+ is 34". Youch.
Yea, the AC seatmap is identical to the UA 738, except AC managed to squeeze in 3 more Y seats

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._737-800_G.php
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
For those complaining about 30 inch pitch..

Flying also has never been more affordable.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

I would argue that seat designs have changed, so that seat pitch isn't always an apples to apples comparison that gives a true perspective of leg/knee room.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by newcdn
It's only really a problem with north american airlines....... asian and european airlines still have some dignity left.
People won't be able to avoid 30" pitch on domestic/US routes in a few years, but maybe with the slimline seats it won't be as bad
Many legacy European airlines have had 30" pitch on their narrow body aircraft far before NA airlines did. Even in J.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I would argue that seat designs have changed, so that seat pitch isn't always an apples to apples comparison that gives a true perspective of leg/knee room.
Exactly.

"Pitch" is not a measurement of "knee room" or "leg room". It has a very specific technical definition.

When comparing identical seats, more pitch means more leg room, but if the seats are not identical, it means nothing.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Exactly.

"Pitch" is not a measurement of "knee room" or "leg room". It has a very specific technical definition.

When comparing identical seats, more pitch means more leg room, but if the seats are not identical, it means nothing.
I hope it means something as my legs have a definite physical geometry even if seat backs decrease to 0 thickness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.