Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:50 pm
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
A friend of mine from the navy used to say, two is one and one is none. For this reason, you want to have three.

What?!?! You didn't quote me? Well I never.....

I'm pretty certain you have sat in some of my training sessions where I have described redundancy with a (supposedly) Confucian saying:

"A man with a clock knows what time it is. A man with two clocks is never certain."

(And another nugget: "Two men say they're Jesus... one of them must be wrong.")
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by skybluesea
i have no evidence to predict other latent defects, but you have none either.
Evidence, no. But strong suspicion.

Two things went wrong. The thing that went wrong and whatever allowed that latent problem to, as we geeks say, "ship".

The bug could be just a bug. A trivial fix, and I'm prepared to accept (and even be comforted!) that a 6 month testing and certification process is needed for the most trivial of fixes. Or it could be a problem that a bean counter ordered the airframe engineers to skip over, and software developers to implement - a massive conspiracy on a scale that makes Volkswagen emissions scandal look like a minor April Fools prank.

I don't particularly care about the bug being fixed. Or even that a conspiring bean counter got one thing through. I care about the regulatory framework and corporate culture that allowed just one thing through.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
@canopus27

i have no evidence to predict other latent defects, but you have none either. My forward looking assertion is based on changing only one variable ie MCAS repair, while your assessment suggests an infinite number of unknown future defects...so which of us is closer to reality - too early to tell I suppose.

But let’s assume you are right - which means you will never fly MAX again by your logic regardless of what is said about any fix, and you would therefore also go out and argue with regulators to de-certify the aircraft...if your’ concerned for public safety and the MAX falling on your head (of course stay safe always)

Either the aircraft can remain certified or NOT...no middle ground here...
@skybluesea, with all respect, please be careful when you attempt to restate my views.

You write above, talking about me,
let’s assume you are right - which means you will never fly MAX again by your logic regardless of what is said about any fix, and you would therefore also go out and argue with regulators to de-certify the aircraft
But that's not at all what I said, nor what I think. I think my words are pretty clear:
is there a latent problem with the wiring or system that receives the sensor data? I dunno
I am observing that there is at the very least the potential for multiple flaws in the plane, but nowhere do I asset that the are multiple flaws, and I'm quite confident I made no comment at all about my faith in the regulators.

​​​​​​​By all means you should hold (and state) your own beliefs. Please just be careful when rephrasing the beliefs of others.
flyquiet and canadiancow like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: aeroplan

i have no evidence to predict other latent defects, but you have none either.
Yeah, that's essentially what you said when the planes crashed. You were wrong. And since then the evidence that has emerged would give every reason to question some of Boeing's decisions about the Max.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by expert7700
MCAS as it was implemented would be akin to buying a car that forces the steering wheel into a hard turn at highway speeds if a single wheel/sensor/camera is blocked or malfunctions. The car has multiple sensors that could have been averaged but JUST THE FAULTY ONE was used.
No it's not. This analogy and the rest of the ones in your post are absolute nonsense. Airplanes have about as much in common with cars and they do with washing machines.

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; Apr 2, 2019 at 9:04 pm Reason: Edit: Sigh.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I am not a pilot and don't claim to be super knowledgeable in this area. However, I have done a simulator course at British Airways Flight Training at LHR and was instructed by a senior BA pilot. When hand flying the 747-400, it can be manual everything. It was particularly demonstrated to me how the weight of the controls changes as the trim gets further away from an ideal set point and how to change the trim manually. It was easy to feel the difference when the trim was changed. I don't know if you consider a 747-400 a "modern airliner", but it is in current commercial service and does not necessary have auto trim on at all times, regardless of the state of autopilot being on or off.
I don't know the 747-400 specifically and I have never flown in a simulator for one. Like (as far as I know) all Boeings you can trim it manually, but it absolutely has a speed trim system, and that system is getting used every time one is flown. MCAS is part of the 737 MAX speed trim system ... just one that was implemented with catastrophic flaws in failure handling.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:15 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:27 am

I'll just toss this into the cesspool.

Heaven forbid that us non-engineering, non-pilot passengers should question the sancticty of the design and operating process of the Max.

Ethiopian Airlines pilots followed Boeing's emergency procedures before crash: report

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/03/afric...ntl/index.html
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I'll just toss this into the cesspool.

Heaven forbid that us non-engineering, non-pilot passengers should question the sancticty of the design and operating process of the Max.
Oh look, more baseless speculation from unnamed sources.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
LOL. Seems more and more of the 'baseless speculation' becomes true in the days that follow.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I remember when the ET crash being MCAS related was 'baseless speculation'.
Jumper Jack likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I remember when the ET crash being MCAS related was 'baseless speculation'.
But we're just PAX. Just gotta trust everyone that everything is OK. Got it?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:51 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
@skybluesea: how many crashes of a particular aircraft type would you need for that types airworthiness to be suspect? How many before you look into the type and not just however many incidents got you there? How many before you would ground the fleet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.