Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
What was the answser?
Surprisingly, we did not achieve unanimous consensus But the horse is completely dead. Trust me
flyquiet likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Please let's not do that again. We've beaten that horse to death 30 times today. It's done. If you really want, go read the last 25 pages of this thread and the other thread
Ken is making a point. It requires some deep breathing exercises but it will become clear.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Ken is making a point. It requires some deep breathing exercises but it will become clear.
You have an incredible grasp of the obvious. Yes, it's a point which was debated from every possible angle today. It's done.
Simon and skybluesea like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:02 pm

...But the horse is completely dead. Trust me
...It's done.
What!? There are barely any facts out yet. Once those come out they'll have to be debated. We're only at the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end...
Twickenham and 24left like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
What!? There are barely any facts out yet. Once those come out they'll have to be debated. We're only at the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end...
Haha, yes. And I quite look forward to that debate when we have some facts. I'm sure it will be very passionate.

But I think the question here was about abundance of caution groundings while waiting for facts. That's the one that I think has been fully debated by now.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:09 pm

I guess I wasn't clear. Once the facts come out I'm sure there will be debate about what should have happened, in hindsight, regarding whether the grounding was warranted.
skybluesea and 24left like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:12 pm

I guess I wasn't clear. Once the facts come out I'm sure there will be debate about what should have happened, in hindsight, regarding whether the grounding was warranted.
Oh ugh. Hindsight debates are far less productive in my opinion. I'll think I'll have to go to the beach that day and let you all cover it
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:13 pm

Oh ugh. Hindsight debates are far less productive in my opinion. I'll think I'll have to go to the beach that day and let you all cover it
I'd like to do the same. Unfortunately the planes are grounded so I can't get there.
skybluesea and Twickenham like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:16 pm

I'd like to do the same. Unfortunately the planes are grounded so I can't get there.
Haha!! Hmmm. You can fly Delta. They don't have an MAXes
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:51 am

A good read for all the Boeing apologists around here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a61_story.html
IluvSQ likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
A good read for all the Boeing apologists around here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a61_story.html
I'm not sure who is apologizing for Boeing. That is a pretty difficult thing to be doing right now. But there isn't a single new piece of information in that article that was not already widely reported on. The media is rehashing Lion Air all over again because they don't have anything to report on for ET.

The only new piece of information, which we don't have but apparently that the FCC and TC do, is some details that lead them to believe it is possible ET showed some similar characteristics as Lion Air, hence the grounding. And we knew that yesterday. Until there is more information publicly available, everything else is speculation.
skybluesea, ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
Originally Posted by KenHamer
And why is 2 crashes the threshold, and not 1? You know, out of an abundance of caution -- shouldn't the planes have been grounded immediately after the first incident?
Yes.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Excellent article from Leeham News. Absolutely worth the read.

Commentary: Boeing’s Tylenol moment and the need for radical transparency

By Judson Rollins March 13, 2019

https://leehamnews.com/2019/03/13/co...-transparency/

In the section called "Passenger Avoidance, Pilot Concerns"

"One pilot wrote, “Now we know the systems employed are error-prone – even if the pilots aren’t sure what those systems are, what redundancies are in place and failure modes. I am left to wonder: what else don’t I know?”
lallied likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 24left
Excellent article from Leeham News. Absolutely worth the read.

Commentary: Boeing’s Tylenol moment and the need for radical transparency

By Judson Rollins March 13, 2019

https://leehamnews.com/2019/03/13/co...-transparency/

In the section called "Passenger Avoidance, Pilot Concerns"

"One pilot wrote, “Now we know the systems employed are error-prone – even if the pilots aren’t sure what those systems are, what redundancies are in place and failure modes. I am left to wonder: what else don’t I know?”
The most pertinent quote from this article is the age old aphorism "perception is reality". No end of blaming the sources of that perception will prevent its happening, and Boeing's blindness to it is going to haunt it for a long time. To quote other stories comparing the situation with Tylenol, Boeing lost the narrative.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The Rollins article contains this summation: "Although Johnson & Johnson management knew the company was not responsible for the tampering of the product, they assumed responsibility by putting public safety first and recalling all affected products from the market. Herein lies an essential lesson for Boeing: When your reputation depends on safety, it does not matter what has been proven or who is at fault. What matters is that you are seen taking the lead to protect the safety of the public – at all costs."

It should go without saying that Air Canada should also pay heed, and not just specifically on the Max affair or even specifically on public safety-related items. Few doubt AC's ability to manage a collection of airplanes; it's how they manage their customer relationships that earns them such PR grief. Let's hope they take an active role in restoring public confidence in the airplane if it's cleared to fly, rather than allowing Transport Canada and Boeing to do all the 'splaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.