Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by jaysona
The right decision from an irrational emotionally charged perspective - sure I'll agree to that.

At this point in time, there is no scientific safety based reason to take such a decision. From a scientific and safety perspective there is only one data point about safety of the 7M8 - the Lion Air crash. Until the FDR and CVR data for the ET crash have been processed, there are no additional safety data points to for which to base a decision.

I'm all for safety, but irrational emotion has no place if the definition and implementation of safety. Safety has to be based on cold hard numbers, not the feelings of the hysterical animals scurrying from the sounds of thunder.
As an engineer I completely disagree for all the reasons that others have stated. There is this simple equation we use where Risk = Probability x Consequence. Yes, low probability, but the consequences can't even be calculated if you are unlucky.
arf04, flyquiet and canadiancow like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
At this point in time, there is no scientific safety based reason to take such a decision.
...that you're aware of.
From a scientific and safety perspective there is only one data point about safety of the 7M8 - the Lion Air crash.
...that you're aware of.
Until the FDR and CVR data for the ET crash have been processed, there are no additional safety data points to for which to base a decision.
...that you're aware of.
I'm all for safety, but irrational emotion has no place if the definition and implementation of safety. Safety has to be based on cold hard numbers, not the feelings of the hysterical animals scurrying from the sounds of thunder.
The above suggests you're actually not all about safety at all.
yhzflyer, arf04, m.y and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:54 pm

I wonder if Calin is choking on the dollars he saved by going with the 737 right about now....
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:07 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
On a lighter note, I wonder if they'll take the grounding as an opportunity to complete the wifi installation.
yes, maybe or no. If this grounding requires a tail redesign, these birds will not fly for a long time, possible never again.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:10 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Resurrection
I wonder if Calin is choking on the dollars he saved by going with the 737 right about now....
Well, he will not die alone. He has lots of company!
eigenvector likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
We can add Boeing to the list of apparently spineless, irrational, emotional people who just don't understand aviation safety.

In Consultation with the FAA, NTSB and its Customers, Boeing Supports Action to Temporarily Ground 737 MAX Operations
https://boeing.mediaroom.com/news-re...ts?item=130404
March 13, 2019 – Boeing continues to have full confidence in the safety of the 737 MAX. However, after consultation with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), and aviation authorities and its customers around the world, Boeing has determined -- out of an abundance of caution and in order to reassure the flying public of the aircraft’s safety -- to recommend to the FAA the temporary suspension of operations of the entire global fleet of 371 737 MAX aircraft.

“On behalf of the entire Boeing team, we extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives in these two tragic accidents,” said Dennis Muilenburg, president, CEO, Chairman of The Boeing Company.

“We are supporting this proactive step out of an abundance of caution. Safety is a core value at Boeing for as long as we have been building airplanes; and it always will be. There is no greater priority for our company and our industry. We are doing everything we can to understand the cause of the accidents in partnership with the investigators, deploy safety enhancements and help ensure this does not happen again.”

Boeing makes this recommendation and supports the decision by the FAA.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by 5mm
If this grounding requires a tail redesign, these birds will not fly for a long time, possible never again.
That will be interesting to see; what is the "proper" resolution to this? Clearly, a software upgrade should help. But I think it's challenging that MCAS does what it does based on input from one pitot tube. Can the software be successfully rewritten (by April as per FAA) to take input from multiple systems the way the engineers likely wanted to do in the first place? Or will Boeing do incremental software updates over the next few months / quarters? I wouldn't want to be the chief software guy (gal) at Boeing now - way too much pressure!

Eventually these 7M8 bans will be lifted, but if there's just one more hull loss after that, I suspect it will be the end of the 737 line.
5mm likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
Well, to be clear I wasn't referring to him dying! More like having indigestion trying to live with the decision to toss out the (better IMHO) Airbus option in favour of the cheaper Boeing offering. Boeing has done a great deal of damage to the Canadian aerospace industry lately, I see this as karma.
fin 645 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by eigenvector
We can add Boeing to the list of apparently spineless, irrational, emotional people who just don't understand aviation safety.....
Somehow, your post reminded me of this old news item: "Boeing loses trade case over Bombardier passenger jets"
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:27 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 5mm
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Well, to be clear I wasn't referring to him dying!.
Yes, I know.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
That will be interesting to see; what is the "proper" resolution to this? Clearly, a software upgrade should help. But I think it's challenging that MCAS does what it does based on input from one pitot tube. Can the software be successfully rewritten (by April as per FAA) to take input from multiple systems the way the engineers likely wanted to do in the first place? Or will Boeing do incremental software updates over the next few months / quarters? I wouldn't want to be the chief software guy (gal) at Boeing now - way too much pressure!

Eventually these 7M8 bans will be lifted, but if there's just one more hull loss after that, I suspect it will be the end of the 737 line.
My thinking is that they'll have to do a minimum of 3 AoA sensors, much like the A320 series. So basically they would have to get into the nose and do some pretty extensive work, re-do the wiring harnesses, some modifications to the relevant avionics.

There's lots of 'relaxed stability' airplanes out there that, if not for computer intervention, wouldn't fly correctly. The E90. The A320. All perfectly fine if the instrumentation is in working order and has been provisioned to adequate levels of fault tolerance.

AC better be looking at what it takes to keep the early A320s airworthy, including applying for whatever exemptions may be required from FAA/TC rules that were going to be the cause of their grounding. I don't think the issue disclosed here is just something that can be 'resolved' with purely a software update.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
deleted - incorrect assumption.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by eigenvector
We can add Boeing to the list of apparently spineless, irrational, emotional people who just don't understand aviation safety.
Despite having an opposing view to yourself (and, it seems, most everyone else in the world) on this matter, I've enjoyed reading your posts. This one, however... well, whether it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek or not is a bit of a head-scratcher. Of course Boeing will insist their planes are safe, regardless of whether they agree with the FAA or not. What realistically did we expect them to say? "We cheated / hid stuff / lied during certification and fully expected not to get caught" is as unlikely as "every aviation authority in the world is wrong and we disagree with the groundings."

Originally Posted by pitz
I don't think the issue disclosed here is just something that can be 'resolved' with purely a software update.
Agreed -- I'd be surprised if these planes are flying again any time soon.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Superb airplanes they may have been, but the thing pretty much killed them commercially. The number of airframes built ended up a small fraction of the 707 and DC-8. Even short range planes such as the Caravelle did better. (Fond memories...)
The nose area and cockpit layout of the Caravelle were taken directly from the Comet.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ffsim
Despite having an opposing view to yourself (and, it seems, most everyone else in the world) on this matter, I've enjoyed reading your posts. This one, however... well, whether it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek or not is a bit of a head-scratcher. Of course Boeing will insist their planes are safe, regardless of whether they agree with the FAA or not. What realistically did we expect them to say? "We cheated / hid stuff / lied during certification and fully expected not to get caught" is as unlikely as "every aviation authority in the world is wrong and we disagree with the groundings."
It was tongue-in-cheek. I guess the point I was trying to make albeit obliquely is that while some in this thread have tried to take the position that aircraft certification is a binary choice and a plane is either safe or unsafe until definitively proven otherwise, the reactions of regulators and now Boeing show that in fact temporary grounding is a risk-based decision, not a finding of fault, that can and does proceed independently of concluding the final investigation into any particular incident. Regularly revisiting your risk analysis, as Boeing has now evidently done in conceding that they recommend temporary grounding, is not emotional or irrational - just responsible behaviour from a major corporate player that wants to maintain trust in their products.
CZAMFlyer and sunzi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.