Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Wow. How weak and gutless of Transport Canada.

Pandering to unfounded hysteria because a bunch of third world airlines can't train their crews properly. Let's dumb down to their level, shall we?

Once again the human species is displaying that it has not evolved from animals scurrying at the sound of thunder. The gods must be against us and this is their sign.

I'm embarrassed as a Canadian.
Nonsense. Boeing had not told anyone their Max had an MCAS and that a wrong aoa signal would trigger it and send their plane into the ground. First or third world. The argument is demeaning.
pitz, Simon, IluvSQ and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
WJ has posted a notice on their site saying March 13-16 7M8 grounded. Nothing on AC site yet
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by muskoka
And almost all flights to the Hawaiian islands from YYC & YVR. Scramble mode now.
Both the morning YVR-HNL/OGG flights have been delayed until noon with no apparent reason (and no remarks in EF). I wonder if AC knew this was coming.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WJ has posted a notice on their site saying March 13-16 7M8 grounded. Nothing on AC site yet
It is.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Simon
Garneau just announced that 7M8 and 7M9 are banned in Canada based on "new information" from satellite tracking data suggesting a possible (although not proven) similarity to LionAir.
I guess Garneau was the only one who hadn't noticed the similarities prior to today.

Probably the right decision but not a very plausible explanation for why it took so long.

Wonder how long the FAA can hold out. If they do hold out, we might see global airlines leasing 7M8's to US carriers in exchange for 738's being leased back to them.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Why are the black boxes still sitting in Ethiopia?

Caught this rather odd line buried in a Globe and Mail article on Garneau's decision to ban the MAX: "A decision where in Europe to send the black boxes would be taken by Thursday, the airline said."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...light-control/

... - you'd think given the importance to the many stakeholders about getting to the bottom of this that a decision on where to send black boxes would have been made before they were found and that they would have been sent immediately by fastest available means (including chartered jet) to the lab where they could be analysed. What are they waiting for?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Wow. How weak and gutless of Transport Canada.

Pandering to unfounded hysteria because a bunch of third world airlines can't train their crews properly. Let's dumb down to their level, shall we?

Once again the human species is displaying that it has not evolved from animals scurrying at the sound of thunder. The gods must be against us and this is their sign.

I'm embarrassed as a Canadian.
Baloney,

It is embarrassing it took this long to protect safety
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Caught this rather odd line buried in a Globe and Mail article on Garneau's decision to ban the MAX: "A decision where in Europe to send the black boxes would be taken by Thursday, the airline said."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...light-control/

... - you'd think given the importance to the many stakeholders about getting to the bottom of this that a decision on where to send black boxes would have been made before they were found and that they would have been sent immediately by fastest available means (including chartered jet) to the lab where they could be analysed. What are they waiting for?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
It's on the AC site. I posted it in the wiki in the other thread
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Stranger
Nonsense. Boeing had not told anyone their Max had an MCAS and that a wrong aoa signal would trigger it and send their plane into the ground. First or third world. The argument is demeaning.
That's a load of crap. The MCAS has been very clearly documented in the initial documentation supplied to operators of the aircraft and Boeing has demonstrated as such. It is up to the operator the define (or outsource) their pilot training programme.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K
I was scheduled to fly on the MAX 8 out of YYZ (to SFO) on Saturday morning, so I'm curious what this disruption will mean for that. Nothing has been updated in the itinerary yet. I had another MAX 8 to return with next week, so this is going to be interesting.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RobWilliamsTG
I was scheduled to fly on the MAX 8 out of YYZ (to SFO) on Saturday morning, so I'm curious what this disruption will mean for that. Nothing has been updated in the itinerary yet. I had another MAX 8 to return with next week, so this is going to be interesting.
Are you able to cancel or postpone the trip? Something to consider. It's gonna be messy for the next little while
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by The Lev
I guess Garneau was the only one who hadn't noticed the similarities prior to today.

Probably the right decision but not a very plausible explanation for why it took so long.

Wonder how long the FAA can hold out. If they do hold out, we might see global airlines leasing 7M8's to US carriers in exchange for 738's being leased back to them.
The right decision from an irrational emotionally charged perspective - sure I'll agree to that.

At this point in time, there is no scientific safety based reason to take such a decision. From a scientific and safety perspective there is only one data point about safety of the 7M8 - the Lion Air crash. Until the FDR and CVR data for the ET crash have been processed, there are no additional safety data points to for which to base a decision.

I'm all for safety, but irrational emotion has no place if the definition and implementation of safety. Safety has to be based on cold hard numbers, not the feelings of the hysterical animals scurrying from the sounds of thunder.
ffsim likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaysona
That's a load of crap. The MCAS has been very clearly documented in the initial documentation supplied to operators of the aircraft and Boeing has demonstrated as such. It is up to the operator the define (or outsource) their pilot training programme.
At the very least, a number of pilots have complained that the relevant information never made it to their flight operations manual. Nor in the Boeing FCOM.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by jaysona
I'm all for safety, but irrational emotion has no place if the definition and implementation of safety. Safety has to be based on cold hard numbers, not the feelings of the hysterical animals scurrying from the sounds of thunder.
Might want to choose a different analogy.

It could be those "hysterical animals" are on to something.

From the government of Canada:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment.../overview.html

The first and most important thing to remember is that if you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance of lightning. Take shelter immediately, preferably in a house or all-metal automobile
shadowspar, agjil and flyquiet like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.