Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Updated statement from the FAA:
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Simon
I do enjoy the dismissiveness of others' posts as "irrelevant." Nice netiquette.
I didn't say your post was irrelevant, not in the slightest. Try reading again: I said the comparison of the ET 737 MAX grounding and the Dreamliner battery grounding are irrelevant (to my point), because you are dealing with an issue or issues in the former that are (admittedly by the regulatory agencies) completely unknown and in the latter you are dealing with an issue that was well known. The FAA could make a decision on Dreamliner batteries based on actual evidence, and the evidence made the grounding decision quite defensible.

But thanks for turning my point in to an ad-homenim attack though, nice netiquette.
Admiral Ackbar and skybluesea like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And from what's now been posted in the other thread (though it really belongs here, or at least not there), it seems AC is now waiving all change fees and fare differences if passengers want to get off the 7M8. I highly suspect that's what the little briefing was about.
Just got an email from a concierge about this... in my case it will be cheaper to do a SDC since my change fee is $1600.00 HKD ($275 CAD).

"We will waive the charges for any fare difference, however any applicable regular change fee will still apply."
"please understand that Air Canada has total confidence in the safety of its Boeing 737 Max operations. "
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
deleted.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Air Canada flight attendants’ union says crew don’t want to be forced to fly on Boeing 737 MAX 8

March 12, 2019 6:05 pm

https://globalnews.ca/news/5049502/a...ing-737-max-8/
cairo604 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
I rarely post on flyertalk, mostly just follow the threads that interest me.

I have been following this thread and a couple of others concerning the 737 Max these past couple of days and see that there is a vast array of opinions.

I don't do much flying these days because my wife and I added two youngs one the past couple of years but my take on the matter is I won't or allow my family on the 737 Max. The reasons that many have already articulated with two accidents within 5 months from preliminary examination that share some similarities, I think it is prudent to ground these planes especially since these are new planes.

I don't think anybody is saying to ground planes after every accident but the given the circumstances here, I think it is prudent to do so.

If it is found out to be case, nothing wrong with the planes, great. At most some inconveniences to the passengers. If it is found something is wrong with the plane, didn't the regulators who didn't ground just risk the lives of passengers by allowing them to fly and god forbid if there was another accident.
Simon, allbrosca, Wings100 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
Air Canada flight attendants’ union says crew don’t want to be forced to fly on Boeing 737 MAX 8

March 12, 2019 6:05 pm

https://globalnews.ca/news/5049502/a...ing-737-max-8/
Well, it makes sense considering the children-sized galleys and smaller-than-prison-cell toilets. Might as well add overall life safety to the mix.
YUL, fin 645 and RangerNS like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 24, 2020 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by skybluesea
AC purchased these aircraft based on a certification process, rule-based that should only be change if new evidence exists?
The evidence is that two planes have crashed with the loss of all aboard in very short succession. Is this the outcome regulators anticipated when they certified this aircraft? Did regulators rely too much on the manufacturer's assertions in the certification process?

They can always revisit their work, not applying a different standard but looking at things they did not anticipate and with the benefit of knowledge of incidents that hadn't occurred yet when the aircraft was certified. Call it continuous improvement if you want.

Revisiting the approval of a device that has catastrophically failed with hundreds of lives lost not once but twice is not only reasonable, it's the only responsible action to take.

When there are life safety implications, it's reasonable to suspend the approval pending review.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by skybluesea

AC purchased these aircraft based on a certification process, rule-based that should only be change if new evidence exists? I understand your concern but the precaution you suggest can destabilize the entire industry as it creates a precedent that rule based policy making is only nice to have. Of course, make your own choice, but to demand billions of dollars of investment to be shuddered without causation is easy to say because someone else pays.

The Minister of Transport is highly qualified to make this decision- either trust his call or ask him to step down too if he doesn’t do what you desire.
Yes, these planes were purchased through a certification process but that doesn't mean things can't be missed. Also, often decisions have to be made without all the evidence.

With the nature of air travel such that when an accident like this occurs is highly fatal, I think it is good to er on the side of caution. Again, i am not proposing after every single accident to ground planes just in this case, it will be prudent to do so.

Yes, somebody will pay if the planes are grounded but i think it is better than the alternative of another possibility of hull loss.

Finally, regardless what decision Garneau makes, I am not going to ask him to step down. His decision will most likely based on his risk profile. It is not right or wrong, just different people have different risk profiles just like maybe you might be fine to fly the 737 Max and I am not.

P.S. Being at home now with two young ones for the time being, I highly suspect this will be my form of entertainment as I am nursing them to sleep.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I don’t think this has been posted yet...

https://www.thestar.com/politics/fed...-injuries.html
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by marke190
The FAA statement, on the surface at least, is fair. Given the popularity of the 7M8, there have been near countless flights since Lion air and likely hundreds of flights since ET. So statistically, the 7M8 could still be considered "safe".

That said, it seems reasonably clear (at least in the case of Lion), the software and associated systems controlling the 7M8 stabilizer are deeply flawed. I think a potential added challenge is that MCAS may be at fault during takeoff - a period of time which is rather busy for the guys sitting in the pointy end of the plane. One is supposed to aviate, navigate and communicate but when you're only a few thousand feet up and hauling back on the yoke, do you immediately flick the switch and spin the stabilizer wheel or do you keep hauling back, adjust the throttle and do other "normal" stuff? Until and unless it becomes SOP to adjust the stabilizer by disabling MCAS as a first and primary step, I suspect many pilots will continue to try and aviate, only getting around to stabilizer adjustments a little later on which, in the case of the 7M8, may actually be too late.

Accordingly, out of an abundance of caution, I think it's fair to ground the 7M8 until the software fix is in, and until it's reasonably demonstrated the software fix works and until 7M8 crews have some more fun in the sims before doing it for real.

The worst case scenario here is another 100+ dead pax. I don't think it's worth it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Addendum - Lion crashed into the sea and ET crashed in a field. The next 7M8 that goes down may not have lots of nothing to crash into.
Symmetre and 5mm like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
If there is a technical problem with the 737 Max that requires Air Canada’s fleet to be grounded until a fix is developed then it will create significant chaos for travellers within Canada. The FAA doesn’t have enough intel at the moment to confirm wether there is an issue yet. It will be interesting to see what actually happened with the second incident. Regulators have some element of descretion.

I would not want to be in the shoes of Boeing’s CEO with 4,500 confirmed orders to fulfill and potentially being liable to the airlines for grounded planes due to a technical fault.

Next few few days and weeks should be interesting...
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Not sure which thread this belongs in, but Tom Podolec is tweeting that Sunwing will be grounding their 7M8’s - including one that was delivered yesterday.

They only have four, which is less than 10% of their fleet, but still.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.