Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments on 777HD HKG-YVR - EPIC FAIL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Dorian
IMO there is no comparison. Sure, 787 isn't ideal (when we tested the seats in SEA there was no length component) but it is WAY better than the HD.
The layout is better and a pod always wins, but for sleeping, it is not any better.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pmax
$1200 is probably more than that share, but I guess this isn't worth digging further into. Only thing we should be digging is 6' holes for the HD business class seats.
No, for the entire aircraft as I especially do not want to end up in Y!
(the entire aircraft, of course, without PAX.)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:49 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zontar2010
Has anyone commented on potential safety issues with the 777HD? I am referring to evacuating the aircraft. Obviously it is going to take longer to get more people off through the same amount of exits. People have mentioned long boarding and slow service due to the increased pax density of this aircraft but I have yet to see a comment re evacuation. Apologies if I have missed it. Sot saying that AC is cutting corners on safety with this A/C, I have never thought twice about maintenance, training etc with them, but the numbers dictate it will take longer to get all of Y out. Thoughts?

ZT
As part of certification process, aircraft manufacturers must demonstrate passengers can be evacuated within 90 seconds using half of the available exits. Sometimes there will be additional exits installed in some higher density configurations to satisfy this requirement.

77W is certified up to 550 passengers so AC should be fully compliant with regulations.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Is AC1175 from YYZ to YVR at 0900 ever on the 777HD?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: ACSE*2MM,CX Diamond, BA Gold, OW Emerald,Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platnium Lifetime,
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Is AC1175 from YYZ to YVR at 0900 ever on the 777HD?
No not usually. Usually it is on #153 YYZ-YVR at 8:00am and then goes as #007 YVR-HKG. Last it did over the summer season go out on #1175 and for that reason I would take the 8:00am flight to get the regular pods to YVR.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
examples

April 28 YYZ-YVR

June 24

Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by 2MMKid
No not usually. Usually it is on #153 YYZ-YVR at 8:00am and then goes as #007 YVR-HKG. Last it did over the summer season go out on #1175 and for that reason I would take the 8:00am flight to get the regular pods to YVR.
Darn...
AC1175 on 09APR IS the 777HD !
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I noticed that the 77P and 788 are being moved around on different flights within the YYZYVR route. Fun times.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:39 pm

I remember hearing the 777 HDs were originally built for another airline but AC somehow ended up receiving them instead, probably with a deep discount.
Does anyone know who the original customer was for the 777 HDs?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by agjil
I remember hearing the 777 HDs were originally built for another airline but AC somehow ended up receiving them instead, probably with a deep discount.

I just went back to the beginning of this thread, partly to see if that info was posted here and also (further down) to look for what I thought I had posted somewhere: Last year, I was told by some AC staff that some of these aircraft were done and ready for one of the Virgins, but they declined to take final delivery (money issues at the carrier), and therefore were given to AC (or at a huge discount) as partial compensation for late deliveries of the 788s.

Somewhere, perhaps it was a resident AC employee on this forum, said that was not the case.

Anyway, I found these from July 2014:

post 1032

Originally Posted by Pjack94
Am I correct in thinking that the 77P's were compensation(i.e free from Boeing) for the B787 delays so would this mean that they can run them half full on a relatively short flight to YUL and still make money? I imagine the loads would have been good over the last week with F1 being in town.

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
I suspect that only Boeing and AC know the answer to that question. 5 x 777 is a huge compensation.

Jun 12, 14, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Smith
We have 23 777s in service. Only 5 are in this special market 458 seat configuration. The original 18 aircraft are being refurbished to match our new 787 product standard and will not be converted to the special market standard.

Perhaps someone else can provide the answer again.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by agjil
Swiss air(Original 5) AC got major discount because of 787 delays. I think they were in storage.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Swiss air(Original 5) AC got major discount because of 787 delays. I think they were in storage.
The 777s went straight from the factory to AC. The PE seats still had Virgin colours, so I believe they were ordered for the Virgin/AC JV that never took off.

Rumours of ANA spread by others here, but I don't see how the config could possibly reflect that. It is very obviously a more leisure configuration (what the Asian JV would have been).
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by zontar2010
Has anyone commented on potential safety issues with the 777HD? I am referring to evacuating the aircraft. Obviously it is going to take longer to get more people off through the same amount of exits. Thoughts?
To gain certification, a full a/c needs to be evacuated within 90 seconds with half the exits blocked. The manufacturer doesn't get to choose the passengers or the blocked exits.

Full meaning maximum number of seats the manufacturer wants the a/c certified for. I seem to recall that being 550 for the B777-300.

JL operates a 500 seat version with a J cabin.

AC still has room for enhancements!
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:36 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by tracon
To gain certification, a full a/c needs to be evacuated within 90 seconds with half the exits blocked. The manufacturer doesn't get to choose the passengers or the blocked exits.

Full meaning maximum number of seats the manufacturer wants the a/c certified for. I seem to recall that being 550 for the B777-300.

JL operates a 500 seat version with a J cabin.

AC still has room for enhancements!
Since they are not being refurbished I imagine AC is going to dump them on Rouge sooner or later.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
The 777s went straight from the factory to AC. The PE seats still had Virgin colours, so I believe they were ordered for the Virgin/AC JV that never took off.

Rumours of ANA spread by others here, but I don't see how the config could possibly reflect that. It is very obviously a more leisure configuration (what the Asian JV would have been).
I was told by an AC employee that it was an Asian (JP) carrier, but I have no idea whether that was speculation or based on actual information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.