Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
Yes. We did forget about those precious 76 millimeters. Stupid us.
But I don't understand the complaining about how 'the seats were already so small how can they make them smaller', yet when I point out they aren't actually that small you suggest 1cm (well .76 cm) seat width doesn't matter.

complaining for the sake of complaining.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
So with the 767s going Rouge, what will be the service be to TPAC destinations? 777 or 787? or will be they be all going Rouge? HKG already seems to be getting 777HD on rotation, but what about ICN, NRT, SYD, etc.?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by newbie elite
That is what I wanted, like KLM where the upsell is $100-200, no fancy bad airline food, just leg room. Plus the AC PE product is inferior to BA (World traveller+) and AF (Premium Voyageur) just to name those two.
I´m curious: How is the BA PE product better than the AC PE product? I recently flew BA in PE - on the 388 no less - and was quite unimpressed: service was very Y-like, food - with the exception of the good main course - was quite unimpressive and AC offers more priority services on the ground.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar
So with the 767s going Rouge, what will be the service be to TPAC destinations? 777 or 787? or will be they be all going Rouge? HKG already seems to be getting 777HD on rotation, but what about ICN, NRT, SYD, etc.?
In the long-run I expect a mix of 77W (ex-YVR), 77L (YVR-SYD and possibly a few routes ex-YYZ), 77P (ex-YVR only) and 787.

If I had to guess I´d say:

YVR-SYD: 77L
YVR-ICN: 787
YYZ-HND: 787
YVR-HKG: 77P
YYZ-HKG: 787

The equipment used on the other routes to Asia would very much depend on the frequency (e.g. 1 flight per day vs. 1 flight ex-YYZ and ex-YVR each).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
In the long-run I expect a mix of 77W (ex-YVR), 77L (YVR-SYD and possibly a few routes ex-YYZ), 77P (ex-YVR only) and 787.

The equipment used on the other routes to Asia would very much depend on the frequency (e.g. 1 flight per day vs. 1 flight ex-YYZ and ex-YVR each).
YYZ-HKG just a 787? I've always seen fewer seats on it open than on YVR. They could probably fill a 77W but prefer to take cargo on a 77L than operate a restricted 77W. I wish AC would add a second YYZ-HKG flight, particularly if they are hoping to transit more US pax.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by xLuther
It's a industry leading narrow seat for long haul aircraft, wonder if they will have that in the ads
That honour would go to LOT @ 16.9".
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

The existing YYZ-HKG 015/016 is well suited for the 77L. I can envision a second frequency with the 787.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
That honour would go to LOT @ 16.9".
I see your LOT and raise you the Air Transat A332 - 16.5".

Yes they are the same market, AC may have 15% (guessing) status pax on board but everyone else shops on price.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
YYZ-HKG just a 787? I've always seen fewer seats on it open than on YVR. They could probably fill a 77W but prefer to take cargo on a 77L than operate a restricted 77W. I wish AC would add a second YYZ-HKG flight, particularly if they are hoping to transit more US pax.
It´s possible AC will keep operating the 77L, it depends on the cargo load and the # of paid J pax - 42 J seats seems a little high if they think substituting the the 77W for the mediocre 77P on YVR-HKG makes sense. I guess it very much depends on whether AC thinks it can compete with CX ex-NA.

Personally I wish AC would sell the 77P aircrafts to another airline (at a profit), but until then we´ll likely see it on routes where it wouldn´t seem like an obvious choice (such as YVR-LHR).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Odd. When people announce they are fed up with AC and are moving to UA there is no mention of the 'sardine can/slaveship' 787s they fly - and every 787 operator who is 3-3-3 (all except ANA and JAL). And UAs 2-2-2 J is terrible compared to what this looks like.

AC 787 Y has 17.3" wide seats. Not 17". If you are going to criticise it, at least get your facts right. That is an extra cm of space vs the 77P.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/788.html
But I don't understand the complaining about how 'the seats were already so small how can they make them smaller', yet when I point out they aren't actually that small you suggest 1cm (well .76 cm) seat width doesn't matter.

complaining for the sake of complaining.
I'm not saying the grass is greener on the other side and I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining. As a society, we're getting larger, not smaller. I understand the reasons for these 17.3" seats, but I don't like them. It's one thing to be uncomfortable for a 90-minute flight, it's quite another to be squished for 9 hours.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:11 am

First dedicated route Toronto-Tel Aviv - July, 2014.
What a perfect route for this aircraft + configuration for TLV.
Always thought 77HD or 788 would be a great fit to TLV. Yields should stay strong up front w/ 20J and you can reliably fill the back and belly to the brim westbound on 787 vs. 763
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:11 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
I see your LOT and raise you the Air Transat A332 - 16.5".

Yes they are the same market, AC may have 15% (guessing) status pax on board but everyone else shops on price.
+1, thank you.

Also, for all the people moaning about the new AC 787 Y product - have you actually tried it? No? So why all the judgement?

Equivalent to crapping all over a book you haven't read or movie you haven't seen. Also, I find the use of the word "slaveships" to describe a modern aircraft with individual seats, TVs, hot meals and washroom facilities to not only be gross hyperbole but truly offensive.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
What a perfect route for this aircraft + configuration for TLV.
Always thought 77HD or 788 would be a great fit to TLV. Yields should stay strong up front w/ 20J and you can reliably fill the back and belly to the brim westbound on 787 vs. 763
This is one of those proverbial perfect routes for the aircraft. The 767-300's (particularly the bunk version 166Y) did not provide the capacity, the A330-300's lacked the range, and hopefully the operating performance of this aircraft will allow for increased frequency during off-peak periods.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:29 am

It is also interesting to see that there will be no centre overhead storage in J, just some fake bins in the first half to accommodate the pilots overhead rest. Wonder if there could be any issues there with having enough space.

I also find the Y fabric 100% ugly. Very Air France.

Headrests with the red colour seem out of place.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:30 am

The J/C seat manufacturer is B/E Aerospace I believe.
I don't see any similar products on their website, unless this is custom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.