Wiki Posts
Search

UA Intl to AC connection at IAH

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver

I'm going to arrive at IAH on United from PTY, clear U.S. Customs, and then connect on Air Canada to YYC.

I'm concerned about connection time in IAH... I'll need to clear U.S. Customs, which may take some time (even though I'm Nexus/GT). And UA Intl flights arrive IAH Terminal E, while AC flights depart all the way over in Terminal A.

My checked baggage will be tagged by United at origin, and will be tagged all the way through to YYC. I'll obviously have to claim them while clearing U.S. Customs.

Once I clear Customs in Houston,
  • can I drop my bags again with UA (at their connection desk inside Customs)?
  • Or is there a generic "all airlines" baggage drop there for connecting passengers whose bags are checked to another destination?
  • Or will I need to haul all of my luggage on that little train that connects terminals, find the Air Canada check-in counter in Terminal A, and drop my checked baggage with AC there?

(Family trip, so we're unfortunately traveling 'heavy'. No chance to do carry-on only on this one in order to speed us up! And, since our outbound from IAH is on AC, we can't get TSA Pre-Check fast lane access. It will be slow lane security once we get to Term A.)
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I'm going to arrive at IAH on United from PTY, clear U.S. Customs, and then connect on Air Canada to YYC.

I'm concerned about connection time in IAH... I'll need to clear U.S. Customs, which may take some time (even though I'm Nexus/GT). And UA Intl flights arrive IAH Terminal E, while AC flights depart all the way over in Terminal A.

My checked baggage will be tagged by United at origin, and will be tagged all the way through to YYC. I'll obviously have to claim them while clearing U.S. Customs.

Once I clear Customs in Houston,
  • can I drop my bags again with UA (at their connection desk inside Customs)?
  • Or is there a generic "all airlines" baggage drop there for connecting passengers whose bags are checked to another destination?
  • Or will I need to haul all of my luggage on that little train that connects terminals, find the Air Canada check-in counter in Terminal A, and drop my checked baggage with AC there?

(Family trip, so we're unfortunately traveling 'heavy'. No chance to do carry-on only on this one in order to speed us up! And, since our outbound from IAH is on AC, we can't get TSA Pre-Check fast lane access. It will be slow lane security once we get to Term A.)
Just did this last week GUA-IAH-YYZ. However, it was all on UA.

No need to retrieve checked bags in Houston. Surprised me too. They were tagged through to Toronto with a "T" for transit indicated on the luggage tag.

The process is basically to head to immigration in the Transit line, through customs, through security, then take the inter-terminal train from Term E to A.

Simple process. I was impressed. The only thing you have to worry about are the long lines at CBP. I waited about 20 mins in the fast-track Transit line at 9:30am on Sunday morning.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:42 pm

Did this about a year ago, (BZE-IAH on UA, IAH-YYZ on AC). Could not use the "in transit" process described above; had to claim bags and then redrop them in terminal E before clearing security and taking the train to A. With an hour you should be fine whether you have to recheck bags or not.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Question guys,

Is there priority security at the transfer point? Traveling tgu-iah-yyz
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold

Yes, but I think it is only for United Premier Access. I did SJD-IAD-YYZ-YUL two weeks ago and used it, but the IAH-YYZ segment was with UA.

As it was mentioned earlier, you should be able to make it, especially if you have Global Entry. The only bottle neck could be the security line after re-checking your bags (although not anymore needed if they are labelled with the Transit tag) I think that if you go outside instead of following the connecting passengers signs, you can then get back into the terminal through the other security door and that might save you some time. Haven't tried it yet, maybe next month, I will have a four hour layover at IAH on my way back home.

Last edited by uni3052; Nov 21, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
All the security lines in Houston have a priority lane for priority passengers. In the UA terminals it will be marked Priority Access, don't think you'll be hassled if you use it. If UA prints your boarding passes to YYZ you may even have it printed on your boarding pass from your *G status.

AC is in terminal A so you will need to take a train to the terminal. There is both a fast train in the secure area and a very slow one with a tunnel outside of security that connect all the terminals. I believe international arrivals are all going to be processed in terminal E. If there is a transit security area in E I would use it to enter security, the general security line in E is always slow.

C is where United has the priority security area and it is generally very good, but will take you about 5 minutes to get between E and C outside security.

When you do get to A check in with AC at the gate so they can check your passport. There is a lounge immediately opposite their gate. If you're at all late, it might be helpful to know that the Jazz flights out of IAH have some of the worst on time performance rates.

You may get better information on the process from folks in the UA forum that have more experience as I only ever use IAH as a departure/arrival point.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 4:32 am

I'll be going on a Cabo San Lucas to YYZ flight all on UA metal through IAH. Economy ticket on UA, but I'm *G. Any thoughts on how this might work for me? My wife and I both have Nexus/Global Entry.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
If your bags are checked through you should be ok. We did EZE-IAH on UA and IAH-YYC on AC once and we had our bags and everything was going fine, using NEXUS lines etc. We were hoofing it to try to get on the earlier of 2 flights a day based on what we were told in EZE it was possible. We had a 1 hour 30 minute connection and both flights were on time.

We arrived at AC checkin in IAH at 55 minutes prior to departure and were refused earlier flight (1 hour hard cutoff).

We had a plan B, rented a car, went to the nearest outlet mall, filled up the suitcases some more and left on the later flight booked for us.

If you can book it you might be alright as your bags will be checked through and you will have your boarding passes but not sure what would happen if your bags get pulled as some others have suggested . . .

If you only have carryon and you have your boarding pass, you will be fine!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AC
bags are not necessarily checked through all the way

Your bags will be tagged to YYZ, but if you are going from a united carrier to AC carrier, I believe you have to claim bags on the carousel and then resubmit them after clearing customs. If you are on solely united, you will get a "t" tag and they will be transited through. (watch for the "t" tag at PTY) You can use the "carry on" only line at immigration (although that is not always faster). Turn left and then proceed downstairs, go out the customs hall, pass the baggage resubmit and then up to security. I had a TSA "pre check" on my boarding pass so that would speed things up too. Then go through security and head for the train.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:00 am

We're doing carryon. Thanks for all the tips. It reminds me to never ever try to check bags!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:09 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
first time with United, doing EZE-IAH-YYZ arriving IAH terminal E, 2 hours connection time to terminal A air Canada.

April 2015, need to reclaim baggage in IAH?

is there enough time and anywhere where I can take a shower in terminal E or terminal A ?

flying business class.

thanks !
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you have pre check, exit the terminal after you have dropped your bag. Take the escalator up and there is a pre check line right there. If you are departing from A or B catch the train. It's so much nicer than being yelled at in the security line you wind up in if you follow the directions for reentry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.