Why so expensive to Vancouver?

Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

We have recently moved to SFO and I really want to do a couple of nights in Vancouver. The wife is off in April and checking dates even during the week, the prices are coming out around $450 plus per person?? Any reason its so high? Anyone got any tips or hints on how to do this cheaper?

Cheers ^
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

Fly to BLI and drive.
Fly to SEA and train.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: AC:50K
Just be glad that it's still as cheap as that... I had to make a rather short notice booking for YVR-SFO-YVR this upcoming Thursday/Saturday, and the cheapest direct Y cabin tickets were around $1100.

... so I booked YVR-LAX-SFO / SFO-LAX-YYC-YVR in J for $1300 instead. I wasn't planning on doing a MR, but hey, spending $200 extra to fly in comfort *and* end the year with 35k AQM instead of 30k AQM? I wouldn't want to do the extra segments in Y, but I'm perfectly fine with spending extra time in J. :-)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
We have recently moved to SFO and I really want to do a couple of nights in Vancouver. The wife is off in April and checking dates even during the week, the prices are coming out around $450 plus per person?? Any reason its so high? Anyone got any tips or hints on how to do this cheaper?

Cheers ^
Welcome to Canadian sky-high airfares!
fly from bli.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try Westjet.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:48 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Try Westjet.
For April 2014 weekends only gets you down to $411.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:50 pm

YXX is even more expensive!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Cheaper? Fly to SEA, then rent a car or take the train/bus on the last leg. It can be a pain, but that's what I used to do when I had the extra time.

Sorry to chuckle a bit at this being seen as expensive - its not really for a short-haul transborder fare. To contrast, try a mid-size midwestern US city to YYZ. For example, CVG-YYZ is hard to find for $500 these days, even in advance, and that's about half the mileage of SFO-YVR.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:58 pm

Wait until the seat sales that happen 2-3 months before travel.
Also look into hidden city tickets.

YVR-SFO-LAX may yield a few dollars in savings.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
This is Canada, we get ripped off by Cell Phone companies and the Official Airline, and oh, lets not forget the retailers!!!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Much of this is taxes but flying to SEA will save a bundle!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply guys...

So in general, if there is a sale on what does this fare normally come out at? From checking this morning a direct flight with UA and AC is $650????

I checked flying to SEA and that is only $179 round trip so doing that and getting a train might work!!!

So silly because if those seats are not sold then thats two seats they could have sold...if however, most of the seats get bought up then obviously I can understand why they are at those prices!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
This is Canada, we get ripped off by Cell Phone companies and the Official Airline, and oh, lets not forget the retailers!!!
For cell phones, it could be worse. You could live in the US.

Usable smartphone plans are actually more expensive down here, and the networks are not nearly as good as Rogers/Bell/Telus.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:12 am

I checked flying to SEA and that is only $179 round trip so doing that and getting a train might work!
By the time you pay for the train, you'll be at $225-$250 including transfers.
I don't know much about SFO-YVR fares other than they are expensive.
I do know YVR-LAX can be had for $300 round trip during seat sales.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Thanks for the reply guys...

So in general, if there is a sale on what does this fare normally come out at? From checking this morning a direct flight with UA and AC is $650????

I checked flying to SEA and that is only $179 round trip so doing that and getting a train might work!!!

So silly because if those seats are not sold then thats two seats they could have sold...if however, most of the seats get bought up then obviously I can understand why they are at those prices!
As pointed out above, this far out you only get the high prices. Check back 2 months before your travel time. I have often flown YVR-SFO round trip for about $320.

And don't worry, AC will sell those seats. It is a matter of at what price they will sell them, but that plane will take off packed to the gills.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.