Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Cerenity
but yes, my credit limit increase was immediate.

i applied for Infinite on Jan 3 for just the pre-authorized 5k limit, got my card Jan 17, called CS for something on Jan 18, was told there was a pre-authorized limit increase to 20k offer on my account, called back on Jan 19 and accepted. hung up the phone and logged in to TD easyweb and it already showed 20k
Could you have diverted that increase to apply for another TD Aero card, such as the Platinum (10K) or Business (20K)? These two are also $0 FYF, if you call in...some of the branches may not know about the Business card also being free for the first year, but I've called twice and confirmed. Unfortunately, you have to go through the process of applying for a TD Business membership first, so if you have that already, you're ready to go. Just call the Biz number on the page for the Biz card, as they are more knowledgeable than in-branch staff on the offering.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:02 pm

Applied TD Aeroplan Infinite over the EasyLine phone yesterday morning

and the CC (with #) already shows up under my TD EasyWeb, that's quick
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by yvr76
I'm a CIBC cardholder and got the letter that I'll be transferred to TD. If I wanted to keep the CIBC Advantex benefits, can I cancel my card, and then reapply in a few months? At that point, I won't be selected for transfer again to TD right?

update - looks like Advantex and Aeroplan are in negotiations. I wonder if the Advantex benefit will apply to both TD and CIBC if they extent the agreement:
http://www.advantex.com/pdf/news/201...essRelease.pdf
You can just apply for a new CIBC Aeroplan card to keep the Advantex benefits, you will also get 20k welcome miles.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm a CIBC cardholder and got the letter that I'll be transferred to TD.
I called the Infinite number and they said I was preapproved for $20K. I asked for the Infinite card with a $10K limit and they also let me apply for the Platinum with the remaining credit limit. Both cards were approved instantly and the fee was waived on both for the first year. I'm not sure if it helps but I have been with TD for many years.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I was being moved from CIBC to TD so I applied for a TD card over the phone and a few days later my number popped up on my TD profile where I have a small bank account. Already used the 2 for 1 reward even though I don't have the card yet. ^

Applied for the CIBC card on the same day at the suggestion of the person who answered their 1-800 number that I called to figure out why I was being transferred. Figured I would like to get the points and I have held the card for over 20 years. Couldn't understand why they were moving me since I have lots of other accounts at CIBC together with the bulk of my savings and investments, but apparently they are at other branches that don't count. Apparently your accounts have to be with CIBC directly. Here it is a couple of weeks later and I got a letter from CIBC saying that they need employment, address and income verification. Really?

I've been a customer for 25 years. How about that your mail isn't returned? Isn't that proof of address? I phoned in thinking there must be a mistake and was told "no exceptions - they need to check off every box".

Maybe I am getting too many cards, but I have not had to do that for any new AMEX cards or the TD one. Is CIBC being overly thorough or do they really want to get rid of me as a customer that bad?

Maybe this rant should have been in a CIBC thread?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by martyYYZ
I called the Infinite number and they said I was preapproved for $20K. I asked for the Infinite card with a $10K limit and they also let me apply for the Platinum with the remaining credit limit. Both cards were approved instantly and the fee was waived on both for the first year. I'm not sure if it helps but I have been with TD for many years.
Way to GO! I have almost the same identical scenario as you, only difference is that I'm shooting for the Business instead of the Platinum with my leftover pre-approved limit. I've got an appointment to set up my TD business account later this week. If things don't work out, I'll fall back on getting the Platinum, as you did, though I'd much rather get the 20K Biz promo points

You're already going to get Distinction Silver with your two new TD points (15K + 10K)! Check out the Market Fare tab when you look for Aeroplan redemptions. You should get about 20% discount off the published miles required, and better flight options, and possibly cheaper scamcharges even though they include AC Metal.

Also, don't forget to apply for the new CIBC Aerogold 20K promo, to complete the plan!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by martyYYZ
Did TD confirm that they will give you welcome bonus miles for both cards?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Way to GO! I have almost the same identical scenario as you, only difference is that I'm shooting for the Business instead of the Platinum with my leftover pre-approved limit. I've got an appointment to set up my TD business account later this week. If things don't work out, I'll fall back on getting the Platinum, as you did, though I'd much rather get the 20K Biz promo points

You're already going to get Distinction Silver with your two new TD points (15K + 10K)! Check out the Market Fare tab when you look for Aeroplan redemptions. You should get about 20% discount off the published miles required, and better flight options, and possibly cheaper scamcharges even though they include AC Metal.

Also, don't forget to apply for the new CIBC Aerogold 20K promo, to complete the plan!
Quite a few credit hits. One of the reasons why I'm gun shy getting so many cards. At the end of the day it maybe worth staggering and switching cards from one year to the next between the banks for FYF and bonus mile benefits.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:28 am

People who are concerned about credit should pull a Equifax report. I do it once a year $ 14.95 for simple, $ 23.95 for full report.

https://www.econsumer.equifax.ca/

Interesting to see who has poked around on your file plus gives advice and tells you how and what actually effects your credit score, not WAG or speculation you get on message boards
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Did TD confirm that they will give you welcome bonus miles for both cards?
Yes, they did
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:36 am
JTS

FYI, for those who have the infinite card, the $120 annual fee that was charged was credited back to my account today ^

Applied on Jan 3rd
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xLuther
People who are concerned about credit should pull a Equifax report. I do it once a year $ 14.95 for simple, $ 23.95 for full report.

https://www.econsumer.equifax.ca/

Interesting to see who has poked around on your file plus gives advice and tells you how and what actually effects your credit score, not WAG or speculation you get on message boards
Good call.. didn't know that I could that. I did peruse the credit check TD conducted, all perfect R1s with credit limit listed beside each item.

I received the Infinite Privilege card this morning. My rep checked the account, and looks like so far the fee has been waived. Will provide an update once I take a look for myself on account. Cant seem to access online with my debit card currently.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a quick question for those of you being transferred as I am.

Do I need to do anything or will a new card simply arrive?

I don't care about points, bonuses, credit checks etc- I am simply traveling a lot in this period and need to make sure my card does not stop working.

FYI I don't know what constitutes a banking relationship with CIBC however I have 3 accounts plus an RRSP for more than 30 years and have been an Aerogold member since they started Aerogold and was transferred.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Just a quick question for those of you being transferred as I am.

Do I need to do anything or will a new card simply arrive?

I don't care about points, bonuses, credit checks etc- I am simply traveling a lot in this period and need to make sure my card does not stop working.

FYI I don't know what constitutes a banking relationship with CIBC however I have 3 accounts plus an RRSP for more than 30 years and have been an Aerogold member since they started Aerogold and was transferred.
You just have to make sure that the address on file is correct. You don't need to do anything. The way that it is supposed to work is when you receive your new TD card, you have to call to activate it. As your new card is activated, the old card is concurrently cancelled. You will start using the new card.

It's a huge confusion as to what qualifies as a banking relationship. I have a friend with significant investment portfolio at Wood Gundy was also transferred to TD because apparently business relation at Wood Gundy, a subsidiary of CIBC is not considered a "banking relationship".

At the end, I surmise that there were not enough orphan accounts to be transferred to TD by CIBC. So some were just picked arbitrarily.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
At the end, I surmise that there were not enough orphan accounts to be transferred to TD by CIBC. So some were just picked arbitrarily.
Sure seems like a way to risk losing long-term customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.