Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by KatCanuck
CIBC Aerogold is my longest-held CC.... but I don't like the idea of being sold to TD, and losing out on bonus points and FYF. How much does it damage my credit rating to cancel my longest-held card? And TD won't care that you just cancelled to avoid transfer, and they'll let you apply right away for the TD card? I assume you can't re-apply immediately for the new CIBC offer.
If you're concerned. There is always an option to convert your aerogold into a no-fee card to keep the account history intact.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:07 pm

CIBC Aerogold is my longest-held CC.... but I don't like the idea of being sold to TD, and losing out on bonus points and FYF. How much does it damage my credit rating to cancel my longest-held card? And TD won't care that you just cancelled to avoid transfer, and they'll let you apply right away for the TD card? I assume you can't re-apply immediately for the new CIBC offer.
Originally Posted by teriyaki
If you're concerned. There is always an option to convert your aerogold into a no-fee card to keep the account history intact.
No. CIBC will not convert. It will be a new application. What I would do, and what I actually did (since I do not work for TD hehe) is make an application for the new CIBC Aerogold Infinite with FYF and 20000 AP miles. If I were KatCanuck I would not waste an application for a no-fee card when the Aerogold Infinite is FYF. And I would prefer the CICB with 20000 miles to the TD.

CIBC told me that cancelling now would not avoid the transfer, which is already done, and TD is very well aware of that.

For one, when the unsollicited TD will arrive, I will just cancel. Anyway I am a RBC client.

Last edited by LearningToFly; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:14 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
What I would do, and what I actually did (since I do not work for TD hehe) is make an application for the new CIBC Aerogold Infinite...

...For one, when the unsollicited TD will arrive, I will just cancel. Anyway I am a RBC client.
My situation is the same as yours - RBC client with a CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa card, being switched to TD.

It was my understanding that it might take several months before an individual client gets switched to TD. Until then, the CIBC card will still be active. In that situation, at what point could I apply for a CIBC Aerogold Infinite card? Wouldn't I have to wait until I had been switched to TD?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by peano
I applied at TD today in person for the Infinite to get the 15000. TD employee confirmed I would get first year free as a credit on the account.

Then she asked why I want it as she could see on my account I have a CIBC Aerogold Infinite that will be transferred to TD. Damn!

I said go ahead, I want the points. She proceeded but the system would not let her complete my application due to other issues. She has to contact head office.

TD has turned me down before for a CC even though I have pristine credit and all my business and personal accounts are with them including large investments.

Lets see if they want to keep my business.
TD seems more conservative than other banks.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by antirealist
My situation is the same as yours - RBC client with a CIBC Aerogold Infinite Visa card, being switched to TD.

It was my understanding that it might take several months before an individual client gets switched to TD. Until then, the CIBC card will still be active. In that situation, at what point could I apply for a CIBC Aerogold Infinite card? Wouldn't I have to wait until I had been switched to TD?
I've been explained by all the reps I have talked to at CIBC that the switch is already made, which is kind of logic since the deal is now closed. Our Visa CIBC remains valid until we receive the TD one. they don't know when. So I did not cancel the old card and I applied for the "new" CIBC Aerogold Infinite on the phone yesterday, for which I've been approved after a short credit inquiry exactly as if I were a new customer. The credit agent said applying online would probably have been more complicated. One more thing: one rep said that cancelling now the old CIBC would not prevent the Visa TD from being sent to me. Same logic: deal closed,
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
I've been explained by all the reps I have talked to at CIBC that the switch is already made, which is kind of logic since the deal is now closed. Our Visa CIBC remains valid until we receive the TD one. they don't know when. So I did not cancel the old card and I applied for the "new" CIBC Aerogold Infinite on the phone yesterday, for which I've been approved after a short credit inquiry exactly as if I were a new customer. The credit agent said applying online would probably have been more complicated. One more thing: one rep said that cancelling now the old CIBC would not prevent the Visa TD from being sent to me. Same logic: deal closed,
So we should all just apply for the new TD card to get the FYF and the bonus points, and also apply for the new CIBC card to get the FYF and the bonus points.

Cancel your old cibc card if you're not getting transferred to TD. If you're sold to TD, can cancel the new TD card when they transfer you -- well, unless they also give you bonus points and FYF then wait a little while and cancel.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan
How do you know for sure if you're being sold? If you have a regular CIBC bank account do they keep you? Or only if you have something major like a mortgage etc?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:14 am

I'm glad I cancelled my TWO CIBC Aerogold Infinite way before 12/31
now it's time to re-apply both TD and CIBC CC
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
How do you know for sure if you're being sold? If you have a regular CIBC bank account do they keep you? Or only if you have something major like a mortgage etc?
You can call cibc and ask. My wife called on Dec. 31 and spoke to a supervisor and was told her aerogold infinite card is flagged to transfer to TD. She also has a LOC with cibc. The supervisor further told her that she is technically no longer a cibc customer because her card is transferring to TD.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by yscleo
You can call cibc and ask. My wife called on Dec. 31 and spoke to a supervisor and was told her aerogold infinite card is flagged to transfer to TD. She also has a LOC with cibc. The supervisor further told her that she is technically no longer a cibc customer because her card is transferring to TD.
That's strange - you would think that having a PLC with CIBC would qualify you as a CIBC customer...
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I thought about reapplying though CIBC and I'm a bit concerned with the bank pulling my credit check and refusing to give me the welcome bonus having just cancelled my card 4 months ago. CIBC isn't Amex where churning and turnovers so close to cancellation is honoured.

Anyone successful at reapplying with CIBC this year yet, having cancelled a same CIBC product recently, and receive the new stipulated welcome bonus?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I thought about reapplying though CIBC and I'm a bit concerned with the bank pulling my credit check and refusing to give me the welcome bonus having just cancelled my card 4 months ago. CIBC isn't Amex where churning and turnovers so close to cancellation is honoured.

Anyone successful at reapplying with CIBC this year yet, having cancelled a same CIBC product recently, and receive the new stipulated welcome bonus?
I don't think it matters. I have an aerogold and I was just approved for an infinite.

I asked whether I should cancel the aerogold to be eligible for the offer and was advised that the choice to cancel was one but that it wouldn't affect my application. I decided to keep it.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

Au contraire, CIBC has been a happy hunting ground for some churners, with people holding simultaneous identical cards in order to get double sign up bonuses. I personally only ever signed up twice as without the first year fee waiver, I never had an urgent need to jump on AP while paying an annual fee.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday
I don't think it matters. I have an aerogold and I was just approved for an infinite.

I asked whether I should cancel the aerogold to be eligible for the offer and was advised that the choice to cancel was one but that it wouldn't affect my application. I decided to keep it.
Originally Posted by markandrew
Au contraire, CIBC has been a happy hunting ground for some churners, with people holding simultaneous identical cards in order to get double sign up bonuses. I personally only ever signed up twice as without the first year fee waiver, I never had an urgent need to jump on AP while paying an annual fee.
Good info here.

I'm still wondering about churning the same card after about 4 months. Will it work (will view receive FYF and 20k points)?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday

Several people I know have two CIBC Aerogold infinite cards. CIBC is very friendly for churners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.