Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:47 am

I agree. I would like to know if anyone is able to get FYF. Assuming you are not a TD customer already. I might try calling them up later
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by BMGfan
Those bennies are only worthwhile for awards seated in the back of the bus though. And as we flyertalkers all know coach redemptions are generally speaking a terrible use of ones points.

In my case I travel carryon only (unless its more than a week long trip), web check in, and I carry the platinum card. So instantly I've mitigated three of the four benifets there when I'm travelling on a domestic coach award. If I'm travelling on a business class award then none of those benifets matter as they're all included in the ticket!

Also I despise companies trying to strongarm aquisition of their products by giving a perk or benifet of limited value. Most people don't travel alone, usually its with a SO, so either we both need the card to use our lounge perk or we don't get to use the perk.

Is this a terrible offering by TD? I don't think so, but its certainly not good. I wouldn't sign up without a fyf offering though....
I travel essentially the same as you. I couldn't care less what TD has. I use a Amex Platinum and hardly step into a ML Domiestic anyhow.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Silvercity
I travel essentially the same as you. I couldn't care less what TD has. I use a Amex Platinum and hardly step into a ML Domiestic anyhow.
Same here. I can't believe TD requires a $200k income for the "Privilege" card. My first year free CIBC Infinite just added the same benefits - priority boarding the only one I care about.

Thanks CIBC
Old Jan 1, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Wow... Pretty junky. The privilege card seems to be a jab at Amex - but with Amex, you get 1.5x on everything after passing $25K, and a better referral program, too. Also, no ridiculous requirement of $200K is needed. And a far larger welcome bonus.
I agree, it's pretty underwhelming. I think I'll stick with my Amex! There's nothing that this Visa gives me that either my Amex or *Gold doesn't.

I still need to carry a Visa card for those retailers that don't accept Amex, but at least in my area, there are very few places that I go where Amex is not accepted. For those few transactions, I can get by with a cheaper Visa card than this one.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:10 am

So for those who have only 1 credit card for CIBC infinite will move to TD, but if we move to TD, are we going to get an email on which card we can pick ?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:16 am

TD credit card announcement timeline?

these are literally the worst deals ever. why in the world would anyone choose to sign up for any of TDs offerings.

But I am ticked because I only have the one CIBC card and will therefore get switched to TD. Screw that!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I, for one, am not surprised the offers have been less than stellar.

For the life of me I can't understand why TD invested so much time and energy (and no doubt money too) in order to buy a list of Visa cardholders alone. In the end, CIBC keeps all of the most profitable customers (i.e. the ones that have mortgages and long-term investments beyond their credit card products) while TD gets only the comparatively unprofitable bottom feeders (card-only customers, the majority of which probably churn cards like crazy just to get the sign-up bonuses. See hundreds of other threads on this very topic).

I think the offers from TD, CIBC and other banks looking to grab market share would have been a LOT juicier had TD managed to capture the entire Aerogold file, and not just the card churners who have no other business with CIBC. But that's all they got, and there is a limit to how much any bank will spend to target these less-profitable clients. The offers won't be anywhere near as enticing as many people seem to hope.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
If you are going to pay $30 difference for the visa infinite (instead of the platinum), The business version is another $30 for the extra 5000 miles.

The infinite privilege seems to be competing for amex's aeroplan card ( but less benefit)
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
The thing that gets me is the income requirement. A $200,000 salary for their mediocre top card? Really?? At my modest salary level, I can have any AMEX card I want, but only qualify for the most basic TD Aeroplan card.

These cards (and sign-up bonuses) may have been competitive a couple of years ago, but the Canadian CC market has become more competitive of late, especially with AMEX's aggressively marketing their gold card. A 25,000 bonus + 2 pts/$ on gas, grocery, pharmacy & travel spend + FYF pretty much blows the TD offering out of the water, even if you do take into consideration AMEX's more limited acceptance.

This loyal TD customer will wait and see if TD decides they really want to play ball.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Twickenham
The thing that gets me is the income requirement. A $200,000 salary for their mediocre top card? Really?? At my modest salary level, I can have any AMEX card I want, but only qualify for the most basic TD Aeroplan card.

These cards (and sign-up bonuses) may have been competitive a couple of years ago, but the Canadian CC market has become more competitive of late, especially with AMEX's aggressively marketing their gold card. A 25,000 bonus + 2 pts/$ on gas, grocery, pharmacy & travel spend + FYF pretty much blows the TD offering out of the water, even if you do take into consideration AMEX's more limited acceptance.

This loyal TD customer will wait and see if TD decides they really want to play ball.
+1

I'd say more, but there's nothing to say, you nailed it.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:53 am

TD credit card announcement timeline?

so customers who get switched...will we get an equivalent TD card in the mail or what's the deal?

Do we get the bonus offers?

Will they do a separate credit check?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Even the $399 card is not too impressive. First bag free is only relevant for trans border. There does not appear to be unlimited lounge access just 4 MLL passes and some limited priority pass looking option....really, for $400? With Amex Platinum you get so much more for $99 more (net after $200 travel credit). You'd hope someone with a $200k annual income would quickly figure out how lame an offer this truly is!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Isn't this out of line compared against Amex Aeroplan Platinum card?

Guess they are after 2 income households, yuppies, Dinks and others.

Minimum gross annual income: $200,000 , TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege Card

- CIBC, this line will be longer than regular one now. Nothing like opening a premium service to the masses.

All CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite cardholders will benefit from:

Priority airport services with your Aeroplan Flight Reward when traveling with Air Canada:
Priority check-in—Dedicated counters with personalized full check-in service available across the Air Canada network4.
Priority boarding—Dedicated priority boarding lane which allows you the luxury of boarding first, or at your leisure, across the Air Canada network5
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peano
Same here. I can't believe TD requires a $200k income for the "Privilege" card. My first year free CIBC Infinite just added the same benefits - priority boarding the only one I care about.

Thanks CIBC
Im in disbelief as well. I think a better mark is a net worth of an individual. I don't even have the income required, but I control this aspect by choice. No way I'm going to pay extra taxes just to qualify for a cc.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I, for one, am not surprised the offers have been less than stellar.

For the life of me I can't understand why TD invested so much time and energy (and no doubt money too) in order to buy a list of Visa cardholders alone. In the end, CIBC keeps all of the most profitable customers (i.e. the ones that have mortgages and long-term investments beyond their credit card products) while TD gets only the comparatively unprofitable bottom feeders (card-only customers, the majority of which probably churn cards like crazy just to get the sign-up bonuses. See hundreds of other threads on this very topic).

I think the offers from TD, CIBC and other banks looking to grab market share would have been a LOT juicier had TD managed to capture the entire Aerogold file, and not just the card churners who have no other business with CIBC. But that's all they got, and there is a limit to how much any bank will spend to target these less-profitable clients. The offers won't be anywhere near as enticing as many people seem to hope.
Sounds like CIBC was in the drivers seat judging by TDs payoffs. Cost a mint just to be part if the game. I'm surprised as this was not my initial gut instinct.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
so far everyone is slating TD however am I the only one who thinks the Visa Infinite which TD is offering is a solid card? compared to the cibc card the following is a list of extras you get with TD:
- one MLL access on award tickets
- priority check in on award tickets
- 1st checked bag free on award tickets
- priority boarding on award tickets

I know this is only for the primary card holder BUT tgis is significantly better than what CIBC was offering us. PLUS there is a 2-1 on short haul redemptions for a limited time. no I do not work for TD but I do think that if you can negotiate the FYF this is not a bad card to have IMO
Any awards I ever book on AE are business class to begin with, so none of those benefits are worth anything to me. Plus, even if I ever book an economy Aeroplan award it likely will not be operated by Air Canada, but rather by a Star Alliance partner. I would estimate that that less than 10% of my AE redemption's have been on AC metal.

Last edited by mapleg; Jan 1, 2014 at 8:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.