Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Old May 29, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I'd write to CIBC Client Care:

https://www.cibc.com/ca/cibc-and-you...cust-care.html

If all your banking products are linked, you probably should not have been transferred to TD.
I wrote to them and got two nonsense answers that looked like they were written by a computer- in the message it said "if you wish further information please reply to this message"- I did and just had returned to me the same message again.

I finally phoned CIBC late last week- and while they said "you are right, you should not have been transferred" they also mentioned "there is nothing we can do about it". At the point I have dropped it- way too many more exciting and positive things going on to worry about one silly bank.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by PilotTobe
I got the PIN but not the card
I received my TD Aeroplan Visa about one and a half week after I received the PIN.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I wrote to them and got two nonsense answers that looked like they were written by a computer- in the message it said "if you wish further information please reply to this message"- I did and just had returned to me the same message again.

I finally phoned CIBC late last week- and while they said "you are right, you should not have been transferred" they also mentioned "there is nothing we can do about it". At the point I have dropped it- way too many more exciting and positive things going on to worry about one silly bank.
If you have a Canadian address, it will not be that difficult to get a new card but I'd wait until there is a special promotion. However, unless you are a collector of Aeroplan points, there is no reason to keep an Aeroplan credit card. If you just want to keep a C$ credit card and will likely be an infrequent user of that card, one of the cash back cards will probably be better. The low end CIBC Dividend Visa does not even have an annual fee.

With respect to CIBC handling of your Aerogold Visa transfer, if you are dissatisfied with the response from Client Care, you can send an e-mail to the bank's Ombudsman at:

[email protected]

Last edited by Clipper801; May 29, 2014 at 7:30 am
Old May 29, 2014, 7:44 am

For people who signed up for TD VISA Aeroplan with the annual fee waived for the first year. Double check your statements as I know of two people where the fee was charged on the first statement and when TD was called the agent said it would be automatically credited the following statement... it wasn't.

Anyone else have the same problem?
Old May 29, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by imverge
For people who signed up for TD VISA Aeroplan with the annual fee waived for the first year. Double check your statements as I know of two people where the fee was charged on the first statement and when TD was called the agent said it would be automatically credited the following statement... it wasn't.

I did not have a problem. The debit and credit were processed within the same statement period.

I recalled the "first year free" was not a general promotion but only if it was offered to you (or you asked and was granted). The TD staff actually has to click some boxes during the application process in order to get the fee waived, such as entering some special code like the AC discount code for the fee waiver to be generated.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I just got my first bill 7days after getting the card. I was charged the $120, should I call or wait until my next bill?

Also do I have to spend anything to get the bonus miles?

BTW Check your SPAM folders. CIBC is sending emails out that all statement details will be wiped out once the card becomes officially TD. So print'em or lose 'em.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I just got my first bill 7days after getting the card. I was charged the $120, should I call or wait until my next bill?

No, it shouldve been automatic
Date OrderPosted Date Description Debit Credit Balance
May 16, 2014 ANNUAL FEE 120.00 $0.00
May 16, 2014 ANNUAL FEE REBATE 120.00 ($120.00)
Old May 29, 2014, 8:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by imverge

Yup, same problem. One account I opened simply didn't get the credit, and I've written them one or two angry emails and not seen a credit back. They told me to wait until 3 statements; the fourth one just printed, so I sent another angry email.

I did not have a problem. The debit and credit were processed within the same statement period.

I recalled the "first year free" was not a general promotion but only if it was offered to you (or you asked and was granted). The TD staff actually has to click some boxes during the application process in order to get the fee waived, such as entering some special code like the AC discount code for the fee waiver to be generated.
Not quite: based on my communication with TD and a few other posters here and on RFD, _everyone_ was getting it between certain dates. In fact, I applied for two accounts almost at the same time through the website - minutes apart, one an existing TD client with some products, and one a new client... former didn't get the fee waived on statement 1, latter did. But the former got an email saying everyone was getting FYF, so to wait 3 statements, etc., my reply above to imverge.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Not quite: based on my communication with TD and a few other posters here and on RFD, _everyone_ was getting it between certain dates.
No, this was not the case.

Read posts #226 and #228 as well as other posts following.

If one was "smart enough" to ask, one usually would get FYF. So one had to apply in person at a TD branch or over the phone and specifically asked for FYF.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, this was not the case.

Read posts #226 and #228 as well as other posts following.

If one was "smart enough" to ask, one usually would get FYF. So one had to apply in person at a TD branch or over the phone and specifically asked for FYF.
Applying in the branch was a pain in the bottom. It took over half an hour, had to provide pay statements.... and this is for an existing TD customer with a mortgage there, account for 15 years, since high school.

I guess it was worth it not to have the fee refund hassle
Old May 29, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Applying in the branch was a pain in the bottom. It took over half an hour, had to provide pay statements.... and this is for an existing TD customer with a mortgage there, account for 15 years, since high school.

I guess it was worth it not to have the fee refund hassle
When I applied the card at the branch, the agent just estimated my income based on the bank record and did not request pay statements.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cana2013
When I applied the card at the branch, the agent just estimated my income based on the bank record and did not request pay statements.
you'd think it'd be that easy, considering its direct deposit every two weeks to TD account too. But no.
Much prefer the online AMEX applications that instantly approve you.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I have received the card but not the PIN.
I am super annoyed with this- as a more than 30 year customer with CIBC this transition has been handled very poorly. I am thinking to move my other accounts and banking investments away from CIBC as they expire or have exit clauses- I just cannot accept how badly this implementation has been managed.
Part of the blame could be assigned to TD as well.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk

BTW Check your SPAM folders. CIBC is sending emails out that all statement details will be wiped out once the card becomes officially TD. So print'em or lose 'em.
I'd call them and take down the agents operator ID number.

My friend called TD VISA last night got an agent from India who credited the fee back and apologized that the fee should have been credited back.

My dad called today and got it waived also.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Cana2013
I also applied in-branch. TD isn't even my main bank (no direct deposit or mortgage here) and they just took my word for my income.

Mind you, having substantial investments with them may have helped.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.