number of million milers

Old Nov 4, 13, 7:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE MM
Posts: 84
number of million milers

The November enroute magazine had some stats on the million mile programme. If I recall correctly it said it took current million milers an average of 22 years to qualify and they account for 4 percent of Altitude members.
canfly15 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 7:47 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: YYC - not the centre of the universe
Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Posts: 4,694
Yes I saw that too. 22 years?! Wow... that's a long time. If I stay on track (which I probably won't) I should quality by the time I'm 22.
jlisi984 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 8:31 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Body in Downtown YYZ, heart and mind elsewhere
Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 5,048
4% sounds like a big number to me.

Are the number of Altitude members the same as the number of Aeroplan members?
RCyyz is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 8:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Posts: 1,827
4% is a lot.
Cana2013 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 8:47 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 35,090
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
4% sounds like a big number to me.

Are the number of Altitude members the same as the number of Aeroplan members?
No. You're not an Altitude member unless you have status.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 8:58 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Body in Downtown YYZ, heart and mind elsewhere
Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 5,048
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
No. You're not an Altitude member unless you have status.
So if we then assume that there are a mere 10,000 people who have status with AC / AE / Altitude, then 4% = 400 people who are AC Million Milers.

Sounds like a lot to me.
RCyyz is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 9:29 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,471
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
So if we then assume that there are a mere 10,000 people who have status with AC / AE / Altitude, then 4% = 400 people who are AC Million Milers.

Sounds like a lot to me.
Not really.

As to the 22 years, if you consider many people mighht have had an Aeroplan account for a while before they got into serious flying, it's not unreasonable either.

If I look at my own profile, I got an aeroplan account around 1993. Did not fly all that much until 1997 or so when I first made 35k elite. Superelite since probably 2002.
Stranger is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:05 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: YYT/YYZ
Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
So if we then assume that there are a mere 10,000 people who have status with AC / AE / Altitude, then 4% = 400 people who are AC Million Milers.
Surely there are more than 10,000 people with status in Altitude.

Becoming a million miler has made absolutely no discernible difference to my travel experience on AC. It's never even been mentioned. So I assume there are a lot more than 400 of us.
antirealist is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:16 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SEMM
Posts: 1,921
Originally Posted by antirealist View Post
Surely there are more than 10,000 people with status in Altitude.

Becoming a million miler has made absolutely no discernible difference to my travel experience on AC. It's never even been mentioned. So I assume there are a lot more than 400 of us.
Other than a casual mention that there were 3 of us on the YVR-HKG flight a few weeks ago, there has been no mention of MM.
I too believe there are more that 10,000 with status - Based on the wikipedia mention of 2006 numbers, there were 57,000 Prestige members, 68,000 Elite members, and 9,000 Super Elite members.

So if these numbers are close to today's numbers, does this mean that there are 5,200 of us?
Argonaut1000 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:34 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,704
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000 View Post
Other than a casual mention that there were 3 of us on the YVR-HKG flight a few weeks ago, there has been no mention of MM.
I too believe there are more that 10,000 with status - Based on the wikipedia mention of 2006 numbers, there were 57,000 Prestige members, 68,000 Elite members, and 9,000 Super Elite members.

So if these numbers are close to today's numbers, does this mean that there are 5,200 of us?
4000-5000 MMers wouldnīt seem that impossible to me. There are quite a few business travellers out there who have had SE status for over 10 years and do most of their flying on AC metal. Throw in those fliers who used to have this flying pattern 10 years ago and those who donīt fly 100k/year, but 200k-350k per year and the number grows even more.

There are several dozen MMers on FT alone. It doesnīt seem unreasonable to me that the FT population represents no more than 1% of all status members, so a few thousand MMers would sound about right IMO.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:40 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Posts: 3,659
This past summer when I was at the YYC MLL, I learned that there was just over 1,000 MM. Two of the dragons and I were discussing that YYC has more SE than any other station (think of that when you buy gas) and how they cant seem to get ant firm answer on how many status passengers really exist ?
HerpaYvr is offline  
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:45 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: FRA / YEG
Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Posts: 11,704
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr View Post
This past summer when I was at the YYC MLL, I learned that there was just over 1,000 MM. Two of the dragons and I were discussing that YYC has more SE than any other station (think of that when you buy gas) and how they cant seem to get ant firm answer on how many status passengers really exist ?
I guess AC likes to keep such information secret. Or maybe keeping it a secret is a good way to keep customers and employees entertained.

More SEs in YYC than in YYZ? That would surprise me, though I guess itīs not impossible. Pax in YVR and YYZ have more options, so may choose to have status on another airline. Not to mention the economy in YYC is doing quite well.
Jasper2009 is offline  
Old Nov 5, 13, 7:41 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador & lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,695
I know at least 20 AC MMers in my company alone, so 400 seems way too low.
krayZpaving is offline  
Old Nov 5, 13, 7:42 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Silver, Marriott Ambassador & lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,695
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
More SEs in YYC than in YYZ? That would surprise me, though I guess itīs not impossible. Pax in YVR and YYZ have more options, so may choose to have status on another airline. Not to mention the economy in YYC is doing quite well.
Also, you have to fly further to get anywhere! From YYZ you can hit YUL, NYC, ORD, WAS, BOS, etc, all within 500 miles.
krayZpaving is offline  
Old Nov 5, 13, 2:00 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada/US
Programs: AC SE, Marriott LTPP, Avis +
Posts: 213
I see at least 2 MMs on every flight i fly between YYC/YVR to YYZ. so i think 400 is too low.
anotheran2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: