Community
Wiki Posts
Search

number of million milers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I am surprised nobody has brought up SPG. They (and a few hotel chains) offer a lifetime benefit program. Just like AC's, it only costs them something (and then it is usually nothing anyway) when you use it. So it ensures loyalty after a horrendous lifetime spend. In my case, I would bet that spend is around $300k. Seems pretty analogous to me.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
I am surprised nobody has brought up SPG. They (and a few hotel chains) offer a lifetime benefit program. Just like AC's, it only costs them something (and then it is usually nothing anyway) when you use it. So it ensures loyalty after a horrendous lifetime spend. In my case, I would bet that spend is around $300k. Seems pretty analogous to me.
I agree with you. But the poster's comment said that outside of airline AND hotel programs, so sadly that point becomes moot. I love the SPG program, and I'm only a few more years from lifetime plat. (nights isn't an issue, but 10 years plat I'm working on)
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ridefar
Marriott makes lifetime platinum too easy. They obviously do that to keep people in their chain once they drop their regular status.

I am 3x Platinum lifetime and unfortunately they have nothing else to look forward to...

As for AC MM isn't much of a cost to them unless one flies.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Allvest
Marriott makes lifetime platinum too easy. They obviously do that to keep people in their chain once they drop their regular status.

I am 3x Platinum lifetime and unfortunately they have nothing else to look forward to...

As for AC MM isn't much of a cost to them unless one flies.
Isn't it the same with hotels though? It only costs them if you stay with them...once you're lifetime X

But, I dunno about you Allvest, but my experiences with Marriott Plat are significantly worse than SPG Plat with upgrades...although I concede that for my travels, SPG hotels are usually worse. Their LOYALTY program makes me stay there instead...note how I capitalized loyalty? (that's a hit on you AC...) Grr.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by grumbler
There are plenty of sub 50 MMs - I'm one.
... ahhh, my misguided youth. All those years spent on Canadian Airlines - now there is an example of loyalty that led to nothing. However, in amidst all this talk of entitlement, I expected nothing from CA, and got what I expected when they were swallowed up by AC.

I anticipate hitting 1 MM later this year, and am one of the grey beards that is over 50. I can honestly say that when AC announced its MM program, it piqued my interest. Further, as they have continued to reduce benefits, the one thing that has focused my choice of carrier is the MM status. So while there may be a cost to AC for the MM program, there would also be a cost in not having it.

What will being a 1 MM mean in terms of my travel habits? Likely that I will continue to buy tickets and fly on AC long after I stop earning status. Whether that is profitable or costly for AC in the distant future (15+ years from now) would require a crystal ball to predict. I can say that it won't cost them anything for the next 15 years, while I continue to earn Elite status.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
ALL AQM on AIR CANADA metal counts! (including jazz etc also)
Remind me again - does it have to be 014 stock in addition to AC metal, or does it also count for, say, 016 revenue stock with AC metal as a codeshare?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: ACSE*2MM,CX Diamond, BA Gold, OW Emerald,Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platnium Lifetime,
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Remind me again - does it have to be 014 stock in addition to AC metal, or does it also count for, say, 016 revenue stock with AC metal as a codeshare?
Has to be on 014 stock is what I was told.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Can be on any stock, as long as you are on AC metal.
All my RTW tickets are now issued by LH, and they definitely count.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by 2MMKid
Has to be on 014 stock is what I was told.
Who told you this? I believe it is incorrect.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: ACSE*2MM,CX Diamond, BA Gold, OW Emerald,Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platnium Lifetime,
Originally Posted by Dorian
Who told you this? I believe it is incorrect.
Was told by Aeroplan.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Was told by Aeroplan.
They were wrong. Can be booked on any ticket stock under any codeshare flight number, it will count towards MM status as long as you end up flying with an AC / AC Rouge / AC Express aircraft.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
They were wrong. Can be booked on any ticket stock under any codeshare flight number, it will count towards MM status as long as you end up flying with an AC / AC Rouge / AC Express aircraft.
Good to know.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't understand how you could earn a pair of headphones by flying on AC and not already have them. If you fly that much, I assume you have exactly what you want in terms of headphones.
That's pretty much what my point is, everything offered as gifts for the various MM levels as well as the Altitiude threshold levels are things I already have - most of which are far superior in quality compared to what's offered by AC. So, all I'm left with are more useless AP miles.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I just don't fall within the demographic criteria that AC is looking to reward. *sigh*
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Irrelevant
That would be me! MM'er at age of 41 and 2MM at age of 46.
Almost in those same track, 1MM at 42, should hit 2MM by 45, I don't plan on pursuing 3MM. I hope to be doing most of my own flying by 46 and not having to rely on commercial operators for all that much anymore.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:00 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by jaysona
That's pretty much what my point is, everything offered as gifts for the various MM levels as well as the Altitiude threshold levels are things I already have - most of which are far superior in quality compared to what's offered by AC. So, all I'm left with are more useless AP miles.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I just don't fall within the demographic criteria that AC is looking to reward. *sigh*
Any suggestions as to what they could offer that could be universally accepted? As in gender neutral, non-age discriminate that appeals to a very wide range of peoples' tastes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.