Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:41 am
7E7
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75
AC to suspend YEG-LHR for Winter.

So this is the headline on the Edmonton Journal

Reports Air Canada will end non-stop service to London cause stir in Edmonton

Which started from a tweet/story on 630CHED (local radio station) and strong words from the head of Edmonton Economic Development Corporation that this is a retaliatory action by AC for YEG getting flights to Reykjavik.

If someone were to actually take a look at the AC schedule for the winter (effective October 17) it shows 3 days a week, which is what normally happens to this route in the winter.

This illustrates how important this Air Service is to YEG, but it also illustrates how insecure the City is too.

I am more curious what will happen next summer, if it will go back to a daily with the extra seats being added out of YYC.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
NOOOOOOOO!

This is an awesome route: small plane, late departure ex-YEG and ex-LHR.

Y cabin usually is quite full, though J yields probably aren´t as high as on other routes. Let´s hope AC keeps this route (I was actually hoping for YEG-FRA in the future...).
Old Oct 9, 2013, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If AC leaves I could see BA testing the waters. BA would give a much more seamless connection option beyond London as well as take care of the O & D traffic.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
I am pretty sure this route is going to be rouged soon. There is demand there but not a lot of J paying customers.

This may be also the reason AC is changing YYC - LHR to 77W and connecting passengers from YEG will definitely be needed to fill that aircraft.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by sluis
I am pretty sure this route is going to be rouged soon. There is demand there but not a lot of J paying customers.

This may be also the reason AC is changing YYC - LHR to 77W and connecting passengers from YEG will definitely be needed to fill that aircraft.
I heard lots of people from Edmonton drive to Calgary to take advantage of cheaper flights. This will just add more reasons to do so.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
AC could Rogue this route.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
AC could Rogue this route.
For most FFs (incl. myself) and pax travelling for business the effect would be the same as just discontinuing it: No more viable non-stop options ex-YEG to Europe.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
This is a punitive decision on behalf of Air Canada. Obviously they’re looking to aggregate more out of Calgary and I think what they’re missing is we’ve got 1.2 million customers sitting here in Edmonton and the Capital Region. … Air Canada is now resorted to being a simple domestic carrier.
What an ignorant blowhard. If he seriously thinks that AC makes "punitive" decisions then he is either unsure of the meaning of the word or is seriously lacking in his cognitive functions. And of course one less flight to Edmonton makes all of Air Canada a "domestic carrier"...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I heard lots of people from Edmonton drive to Calgary to take advantage of cheaper flights. This will just add more reasons to do so.
There are MANY examples of a connecting leg either not changing or even lowering the total price of a flight, ie YEG-YYC-LHR-YYC-YEG being cheaper than YYC-LHR-YYC.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowside67
What an ignorant blowhard. If he seriously thinks that AC makes "punitive" decisions then he is either unsure of the meaning of the word or is seriously lacking in his cognitive functions. And of course one less flight to Edmonton makes all of Air Canada a "domestic carrier"...
+1

While I hate the idea of AC discontinuing the route, stupid comments such as the one you quoted don´t exactly help.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Doubtful IMO - at least when it comes to cheaper *A flights. TS has a few more flights ex-YYC and BA/AA sometimes are cheaper than *A, but considering the cost of gas I don´t think it would make much sense for many people to frive from YEG to YYC to catch a flight (and do the same on the return).
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, AAadvantage
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...378/story.html

Confirmed.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCspotter
Too bad, though I can probably live with the flight not operating for less than 3 months each year. Doesn´t seem completely unreasonable considering Jan-March indeed isn´t a peak travel period.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:31 pm

All of this uproar is about a 3 month seasonal cancellation?!? Slow news day...
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowside67
All of this uproar is about a 3 month seasonal cancellation?!? Slow news day...
It's not that, really. Having to drive to Red Deer (or close to) or to Calgary does not make such a huge difference.

It's more like the YEG inferiority complex thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.