Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

If only AC could do this: customer oriented improvements (imagine...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

There is likely a thread about this, and I tried searching for "dragon" in terms of the MLL .....

But maybe this is worthy of a new thread.

I find most entrances to the MLL to be met with sullen, dispirited, just not very friendly AC staff (see "dragon" above).

Today, I got into the F wing UA lounge (the new one upstairs). The two staff at the front desk before the escalator were friendly! Full of smiles! Commented that it was the "2nd 100K we've had from Air Canada in the last hour!" They noticed the MM on my boarding pass. They were pleasant, smiling ...

And actually said, "we appreciate your business!"

They work for United. Not AC.

Wow.

I really don't fall prey to this type of stuff since all I do is travel, but I was a bit shocked.

Lounge staff at an airport being nice? Being nice to Air Canada pax when we are in a UA lounge? Really?

Imagine if AC could do this.

Nah.

Never mind. Back to sullen, sour....
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
The US government shut down might make people worry about their jobs so they work harder
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
There is likely a thread about this, and I tried searching for "dragon" in terms of the MLL .....

But maybe this is worthy of a new thread.

I find most entrances to the MLL to be met with sullen, dispirited, just not very friendly AC staff (see "dragon" above).

Today, I got into the F wing UA lounge (the new one upstairs). The two staff at the front desk before the escalator were friendly! Full of smiles! Commented that it was the "2nd 100K we've had from Air Canada in the last hour!" They noticed the MM on my boarding pass. They were pleasant, smiling ...

And actually said, "we appreciate your business!"

They work for United. Not AC.

Wow.

I really don't fall prey to this type of stuff since all I do is travel, but I was a bit shocked.

Lounge staff at an airport being nice? Being nice to Air Canada pax when we are in a UA lounge? Really?

Imagine if AC could do this.

Nah.

Never mind. Back to sullen, sour....
Indeed, met a few friendly UA lounge staff - when they are not harried. However I wish their lounge quality would improve. I think AC has them beat here plus I prefer AC hard product and FAs. I do like the complementary E+ seats on UA.
Also wish that AC would follow UA lead with staff checking BP/status cards and another counter where they help with travel (seat changes, IROPs, etc). Much better than the congestion at times at MLL entrances.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Today, I got into the F wing UA lounge (the new one upstairs).
F wing UA lounge- just curious, which airport are we talking about here?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
ORD. Nice new lounge, same old UA food.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC customer-oriented? Dream on. We are the enemy.

Perhaps not the view at the top, but the view permeating corporate culture, especially at mid-management level. And they seem to have regained influence at the top, as the recent announcements show.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
The US government shut down might make people worry about their jobs so they work harder
And how would United Airlines employees be affected in any way shape or form by a us govt shutdown?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I actually think I've had more dragon-like behaviour from UA than AC.

I think it just really depends on the mood of the agent when you enter.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:17 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I actually think I've had more dragon-like behaviour from UA than AC.

I think it just really depends on the mood of the agent when you enter.
+1. I've "hi how are you" at domestic YVR MLL and YYC MLL, and (without asking) checked what gate next flight was and whether it was on time.

I've had UC in SEA and SFO guys (both middle aged men) not even say a word other than to hand me sign-up sheet (I was using Priority Pass).

Worst lounge experience I've had in past year was UC in ORD B concourse, absolute zoo, staff looked stressed and zero space available.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
You've obviously never met the gorgeous gal at YUL, who often works the cross-border lounge. She doesn't look a day older than 40, but has been married 35 years, and is the sweetest gal you'll ever meet.

Other than the one gal at YYZ, I've never really had a problem with the dragons. The YYZ one flipped out at me twice when I went in to the lounge with a US connection knowing full well that it would take 30 min for my suitcase to get there, but boy oh boy did that get her angry. UA agents aren't bad IME, but they aren't as friendly as the US ones.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Really depends. Lounge agents in YYC are all super great. They see me somewhere on a list, and they're waiting for me with a fin number and all details.

Today there was an error with my booking so the agent called the concierge, fixed it, proactively. ^^^^^^
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl
ORD. Nice new lounge, same old UA food.
This is one of the best UA lounges. Food does suck however.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Yeah, I'm sitting in the UA lounge in SEA right now and they all have the same crappy food.

But the person at checkin was super nice, and I can sit here and look at the UA app on my phone and see where my inbound flight is and I got comped E+. So really I can put up with an inferior beer and some cheese and crackers for a couple of hours in exchange for a much more transparent experience and free leg room.

However the inbound is late (damn you EWR) so if I miss my connection in ORD in the morning I'll be much more bitter
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Yeah, I'm sitting in the UA lounge in SEA right now and they all have the same crappy food.

But the person at checkin was super nice, and I can sit here and look at the UA app on my phone and see where my inbound flight is and I got comped E+. So really I can put up with an inferior beer and some cheese and crackers for a couple of hours in exchange for a much more transparent experience and free leg room.

However the inbound is late (damn you EWR) so if I miss my connection in ORD in the morning I'll be much more bitter
I've been having really bad luck with getting free E+ since I became *G. Are there any particular tactics you use?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE , DL, AA, VS

It may be just me, but I've never been met with rudeness at ANY AC lounge anywhere. Last time at YYZ had the girl read my name on the BP, realize I'm Greek, and hit me with the mother tongue. Turns out the other gal is Greek too... And the three of us just shot the .... in Greek for a while. Loved it! I've also never been met with anything but smiles at any UA lounges either. I figure if you walk in the lounges with a smile, you will get greeted with a smile. If you walk in acting removed and entitled then perhaps you won't get the warmest welcome.

Only rudeness I've ever dealt with was at an OS lounge in VIE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.