Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Top status on both AC and UA worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

Just curious if anyone here currently has both SE100K and Premier 1K.

This is not a SE100K vs Premier 1K, but rather to see if there are benefits to having both. The one downside is that if you split your AQMs to each program, you lose on the 100% bonus. But then some would say that they would prefer 100k united miles over 200k aeroplan miles due to fuel surcharges.

I currently travel weekly and my travel varies between domestic, transborder and international for both business and pleasure, both on UA and AC. My planned travels for 2014 is over 250k.

Pros I can think of:
-100% miles to credit towards UA if fare not qualified on AC
-International upgrades on UA without having to pay flex fares and play aerolotto (it is really disappointing when you pay flex fares and still don;t get upgraded as an SE100k)
-Lower fares on UA for transborder/international

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you have status on both, you get 100% bonus on everything.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Where do you fly?

Originally Posted by YOWzer
-International upgrades on UA without having to pay flex fares and play aerolotto (it is really disappointing when you pay flex fares and still don;t get upgraded as an SE100k)
With UA, you still have to buy up to at least a W fare, which many 1Ks argue is a lottery of its own.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you have status on both, you get 100% bonus on everything.
Well I'm not a top tier member with UA-MP, so I would lose on that 100% bonus until I do achieve it. But you're right once you clear it, then good to go.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Where do you fly?

With UA, you still have to buy up to at least a W fare, which many 1Ks argue is a lottery of its own.
For international I usually go to SGN and BKK, either through NRT or HKG (which are the upgrades I care about).

As for the US I usually do SFO, LGA, LAX, ORD.

My airport of departure is YVR.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
But you can upgrade at time of booking. It might be a lottery, if you book a flight with no R space. But the idea here is that you don't do that
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I currently have AC SE and UA 1K, finishing last year with 153K AE status miles and 106K UA PQMs. (Also got DL Gold.) I crossed the 100K threshold and renewed my SE status in May 2012 and had a lot of J flights with other airlines over the summer, so when I noticed that UA would give me 150% miles while AE only gave me 125% I decided to post those flights to MP. I wasn't intending on leaving AC (held my nose as I paid all the ridiculous scam charges), but when the October 2012 enhancements were announced (Tango fares everywhere in response to customer feedback, really ), I sure was glad to have UA as a fall back.

This year was great as I dabbled with UA for the first time. I was amazed at how well I was treated (front line agents are more empowered than AC concierges), loved the low taxes on reward tickets and the free changes/cancellations. Whenever I get a pang of regret for giving up my SE status, AC comes along and smacks me in the face with their latest enhancements (HD aircraft, copays, and moving more Flex classes into Tango), so I come to my senses and know that I am doing the right thing. I expect to finish the year with 40K AE status miles and 150K UA PQMs (and a side of A3 Gold). So in Feb 2014, I will kiss my SE status goodbye.

I will still redeem my UA miles for free flights on AE metal as I prefer them domestically, but will smile to myself when I think that my taxes from SFO-YYZ are only $2.50.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, I don't think I really answered your question with my little rant. If you have the option of going for top tier in both programs and you need to keep your SE status, I would definitely pursue 1K with UA rather than do 200K miles with AC. You will have a lot more options especially when you want to redeem for free flights.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
OP, I don't think I really answered your question with my little rant. If you have the option of going for top tier in both programs and you need to keep your SE status, I would definitely pursue 1K with UA rather than do 200K miles with AC. You will have a lot more options especially when you want to redeem for free flights.
Thanks for the info. I think part of the problem is that I need to really jump with both feet in to the UA MP to truly appreciate it rather keep over-analysing it.

Getting upgrades upgrades on International flights is my priority. It was one thing when they introduced Tango fares to Europe/Asia. I played along and paid the premium for flex fares, and it's just a slap in the face when you don't get upgraded even as an SE100k. I don't have the time to waste to fly multiple connections to "least popular" segments nor fly on a Wednesday red-eye to secure my upgrade.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:43 pm

Thanks for the info. I think part of the problem is that I need to really jump with both feet in to the UA MP to truly appreciate it rather keep over-analysing it.

Getting upgrades upgrades on International flights is my priority. It was one thing when they introduced Tango fares to Europe/Asia. I played along and paid the premium for flex fares, and it's just a slap in the face when you don't get upgraded even as an SE100k. I don't have the time to waste to fly multiple connections to "least popular" segments nor fly on a Wednesday red-eye to secure my upgrade.
I agree with Margarita.
I was 1K and SE last year. Left and have never looked back.
The advantage of UA is they actually care when something goes wrong to a 1K.
Not only do they re book you before you land but they also have 4 or 5 flights you can take to your destination instead of AC's 1 flight a day.
The agents are allowed to help you instead of AC's telling you to get in line and they will get to you when they have time. no regrets.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I was lucky as I never missed any upgrades as an SE. Also always had courteous agents and staff. However, I did have to pay the $100 change fee once to get on an earlier flight to FRA so my upgrade would clear. Concierge was powerless to waive the fee even for their top tier customers.

I just couldn't stomach the additional money that AC was asking for on my revenue flights (even though I was already paying through the nose on some reward flights). All my travel is self funded (and not even tax deductible) so all the enhancements didn't work for me.

UA is not perfect but is definitely better for my needs. I just got lucky last year by getting status without too much pain and not even a status match or a challenge.

Next year, I have flights booked to BAH and HNL that are already upgraded.

Knowing what I know now, I would never put all my eggs in an AC basket.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Knowing what I know now, I would never put all my eggs in an AC basket.
Sadly, Iīd have to agree. Even though Iīve very much appreciated the SE benefits and think the AC product is pretty good (better than many TATL competitors), AC has become too unpredictable and is enhancing the program at a pace thatīs mind-boggling. And the new 77P and the introduction of Rouge donīt exactly help either.

Iīm not a fan of either the UA product or the UA program (except for the no change fees for 1Ks and no YQ), but Iīd recommend to build up status with another program - be it UA, AA, BA or possibly even another program - to anyone who has a choice.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
I currently have AC SE and UA 1K, finishing last year with 153K AE status miles and 106K UA PQMs. (Also got DL Gold.) I crossed the 100K threshold and renewed my SE status in May 2012 and had a lot of J flights with other airlines over the summer, so when I noticed that UA would give me 150% miles while AE only gave me 125% I decided to post those flights to MP. I wasn't intending on leaving AC (held my nose as I paid all the ridiculous scam charges), but when the October 2012 enhancements were announced (Tango fares everywhere in response to customer feedback, really ), I sure was glad to have UA as a fall back.

This year was great as I dabbled with UA for the first time. I was amazed at how well I was treated (front line agents are more empowered than AC concierges), loved the low taxes on reward tickets and the free changes/cancellations. Whenever I get a pang of regret for giving up my SE status, AC comes along and smacks me in the face with their latest enhancements (HD aircraft, copays, and moving more Flex classes into Tango), so I come to my senses and know that I am doing the right thing. I expect to finish the year with 40K AE status miles and 150K UA PQMs (and a side of A3 Gold). So in Feb 2014, I will kiss my SE status goodbye.

I will still redeem my UA miles for free flights on AE metal as I prefer them domestically, but will smile to myself when I think that my taxes from SFO-YYZ are only $2.50.
Best post I've ever read on here. Spot on!!^
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Sadly, Iīd have to agree. Even though Iīve very much appreciated the SE benefits and think the AC product is pretty good (better than many TATL competitors), AC has become too unpredictable and is enhancing the program at a pace thatīs mind-boggling. And the new 77P and the introduction of Rouge donīt exactly help either.

Iīm not a fan of either the UA product or the UA program (except for the no change fees for 1Ks and no YQ), but Iīd recommend to build up status with another program - be it UA, AA, BA or possibly even another program - to anyone who has a choice.
I have to agree with you on that. I find that AC J > UA J > AC Y > UA Y including premium economy. However the enhancements of:
-increase mileage for F from 125k to 175k to 210k
-fuel surcharge on awards
-tango fares to tpac and talt
-increased flex fares
-decreased eupgrades credit
-reduced nominee slots
-all in a span of 2 years pushed me over.

Because of the lack of competition for domestic flights, I am stuck with AC. But at least with transborder and international trips I can vote with my wallet.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have to agree with you on that. I find that AC J > UA J > AC Y > UA Y including premium economy. However the enhancements of:
-increase mileage for F from 125k to 175k to 210k
-fuel surcharge on awards
-tango fares to tpac and talt
-increased flex fares
-decreased eupgrades credit
-reduced nominee slots
-all in a span of 2 years pushed me over.

Because of the lack of competition for domestic flights, I am stuck with AC. But at least with transborder and international trips I can vote with my wallet.
Absolutely. I could have swallowed maybe 2 of those "enhancements" you listed - and if AC had given some advance notice I may have even been understanding to a certain degree - but the way it is itīs a good idea to seek status in another FFP, especially since I (unfortunately) donīt have someone else who pays for my flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.