Wiki Posts
Search

Advise on Asia itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Advise on Asia itinerary

Hi there
I would like to book 2 reward tickets going from yvr to the following cities:Kuala Lumpur, Siem Riep and Chiangmai in no particular order.
Could I include all these cities in one reward ticket? If not, which way could I go about in order to maximize the reward tickets?
Thank you for your help.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Whatever you do, and I am sure you will be told you can't book this as one award, is understand there are several LCC airlines out of BKK to places like Chiang Mai and Siem Riep and I suspect KL, though ex-HKG there are a million flights there, so if you have to pay for side trips you will not spend a lot and you may get far easier schedules as well.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by travjud
Hi there
I would like to book 2 reward tickets going from yvr to the following cities:Kuala Lumpur, Siem Riep and Chiangmai in no particular order.
Could I include all these cities in one reward ticket? If not, which way could I go about in order to maximize the reward tickets?
Thank you for your help.
You can include 2 of the 3 cities for sure with schedule of your chioce.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:11 pm
alc

you are allow 2 stops + destination, so you will be fine. You just can't book this online, need to pay the phone agent booking fee. It will be a NA to Asia 2 reward ticket, so it will be 90K for Y 130K for J or 18K for F. If you are indeed looking or J and F, do remember that come Jan 1, they will increase to 155K and 215K.

Last edited by alc; Oct 6, 2013 at 9:18 pm Reason: edited after re-read OP post
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your suggestions and advice. I called and waited for almost 1/2 hour to talk to an Aeroplan agent. After about 15 minutes of checking and calculating, he advised me that he can only book me from Yvr to Kul and BKK to Yvr. I have to make my own arrangement for the rest of the itinerary as they don't have any partner that goes to Chiang Mai and Siem Riep.

Originally Posted by alc
you are allow 2 stops + destination, so you will be fine. You just can't book this online, need to pay the phone agent booking fee. It will be a NA to Asia 2 reward ticket, so it will be 90K for Y 130K for J or 18K for F. If you are indeed looking or J and F, do remember that come Jan 1, they will increase to 155K and 215K.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:07 am
alc

Originally Posted by travjud
Thank you for all your suggestions and advice. I called and waited for almost 1/2 hour to talk to an Aeroplan agent. After about 15 minutes of checking and calculating, he advised me that he can only book me from Yvr to Kul and BKK to Yvr. I have to make my own arrangement for the rest of the itinerary as they don't have any partner that goes to Chiang Mai and Siem Riep.
If they can really only do KUL and BKK for you, my suggestion is just do a YVR-BKK round trip... as that will be a NA to Asia 1 rewards for 75K in Y or 125K in J. adding an open jaw KUL will make your reward go to Asia 2 region for the increase miles as noted in my last respond.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
The problem I see with it is that there's no simple way to get from REP to either of BKK or KUL on *A. You can get IN to REP on OZ from ICN, but unless I'm mistaken with my award partners it's only that or PEK as destinations which is a lot of backtracking. Unless you can somehow get seats on SilkAir, which I have no experience in attempting. It does appear that a long stop with a separate ticket to REP is required.

On the other hand, you could book YVR-BKK (stop) BKK-KUL (stop) KUL-YVR as a multi-city for 130k and $322 in J. Admittedly none of these are nonstop, though. The routing I found for random dates in Sept and routing only to minimize AC segments on those exact dates was:
YVR-PVG (AC J)
PVG-TPE-BKK (BR J)
BKK-SIN-KUL (SQ J)
KUL-TPE-YVR (BR J)
which was the surprise of the morning at only $322.01 in taxes.

And yes, there are more direct routings available, but I usually just selected the first option on the site with all J and limited AC (and picked BR over others, because I find them interesting).
Old Oct 7, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
YVR-PVG (AC J)
PVG-TPE-BKK (BR J)
BKK-SIN-KUL (SQ J)
KUL-TPE-YVR (BR J)
How about using Asia1

YVR-TPE-BKK (BR)
STOP
BKK-TPE-YVR (BR)

BK has no lay flat seat out of YVR

or
YVR-HKG (AC)
HKG-BKK (TG)

BKK-HKG (TG)
HKG-YVR (AC)

Using BKK as your base, buy your own side trip to KUL, CNX Chiang Mai and REP Siem Reap from BKK using local LCC such AirAsia.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by Spot planes
How about using Asia1

YVR-TPE-BKK (BR)
STOP
BKK-TPE-YVR (BR)

BK has no lay flat seat out of YVR

or
YVR-HKG (AC)
HKG-BKK (TG)

BKK-HKG (TG)
HKG-YVR (AC)

Using BKK as your base, buy your own side trip to KUL, CNX Chiang Mai and REP Siem Reap from BKK using local LCC such AirAsia.
That would also work, definitely. I really didn't put much effort into the search beyond "how many boxes can you check with the website". So if you say there's no lie-flat BR to YVR.. yes, something to be considered.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: TK*G
While the majority are now Thai Smile, and therefore not available through Aeroplan, there are still some mainline Thai flights operating BKK-CNX.

I'd agree though that you'd be best adding at least one of these cities as a separately purchased ticket. If you're not a big fan of discount airlines like Air Asia or Tiger Airways, Bangkok Airways are a quasi-discount airline, but are reliable and fantastic and operate to all three cities.

Another option would be to redeem for a YVR-Asia 1 ticket and then redeem separately for an intra-Asia 1 award. Just keep KL out of the award equation, as it's considered Asia 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.