Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Need Advice: Large Volume AP miles... what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

I have accumulated a relatively large volume of miles between travel and credit card use. I'm at roughly 400,000 Aeroplan points at this point. I'm looking for best bang for my buck.

I'm an Elite 50k member, and am based in Toronto. Have family.

I recently took the family on a trip to Japan and ended up buying tickets outright on seat sale as it was only $1000 cheaper to use points after paying the fuel surcharges and taxes on three tickets. This opened my eyes... what should I do with all these miles, and 40+ upgrade ecredits (that will expire early next year).

I'd like to use for travel, but if the costs of taxes are near the cost of the sale ticket purchase price it doesn't make sense to me. I've heard that fuel surcharge can be avoided by booking on US carriers but I'm not too savvy on all the ins and outs of it.

Are there routes / airlines / destinations that make more sense than others? Open to any interesting destinations anywhere I can get to.

Does it make sense to redeem for merchandise or gift cards or something? Convert to other programs?

I'm looking for the best bang for my points buck - doesn't have to be for travel.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
400,000 points will still (if booked before Jan.1) get 3 people to Asia (375k) in biz for about $200 in fees - IF, and its a big if, you book on airlines that do not have scamcharges. This forum has good info on what airlines to avoid, these include AC, NH, LH, OS, TG, OZ, and to some extent LO

You can still get quality product (flat beds) for low fees by flying SQ, BR, CA, TK, LX and even UA and MS.

You can also add 2 stopovers - perhaps in Europe, or another Asian destination.

Gift cards are generally the poorest use of miles

You will need to put a route together, and call Aeroplan to book, or hire a service to do the legwork for you.
Some inspiration here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ineraries.html

I'd start reading at around 2012 - when scamcharges were introduced.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:36 pm

I wrote a detailed post about YQ on award tickets here: http://boardingarea.com/canadiankilo...award-tickets/

If you have any question just ask or PM.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
400,000 points will still (if booked before Jan.1) get 3 people to Asia (375k) in biz for about $200 in fees - IF, and its a big if, you book on airlines that do not have scamcharges. This forum has good info on what airlines to avoid, these include AC, NH, LH, OS, TG, OZ, and to some extent LO

You can still get quality product (flat beds) for low fees by flying SQ, BR, CA, TK, LX and even UA and MS.

You can also add 2 stopovers - perhaps in Europe, or another Asian destination.

Gift cards are generally the poorest use of miles

You will need to put a route together, and call Aeroplan to book, or hire a service to do the legwork for you.
Some inspiration here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ineraries.html

I'd start reading at around 2012 - when scamcharges were introduced.
Add ET to the list as it is possible to route to Asia using them and staying under MPM.
(and they aren't a dry airline unlike MS.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.