Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada stock is soaring again on high loads and lower costs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada stock is soaring again on high loads and lower costs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by yulred
I'll take solace in the fact that I have found some unlikely allies in YYT, namely the Newfoundlanders who want to fly to DEL. I reckon there's about 10 of them.
No need to concede defeat. I was nearing that stage myself. You make many valid points and provide great food for thought.

Check your sources on the YYT-DEL thing. I hear there are 12 potential passengers.

Last edited by Spounce; Oct 8, 2013 at 10:18 pm
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Rather difficult to fly AC to Doha or Riyadh, so somebody other than AC will always benefit from Canadians going to the Middle East.
Yeah, and right now that would be LH which is essentially the same entity. Or at least that is how I flew to Doha and Riyadh when I had to go there for business (YOW - FRA - ...).

But if EK was a better option I'd consider it, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Yeah, and right now that would be LH which is essentially the same entity. Or at least that is how I flew to Doha and Riyadh when I had to go there for business (YOW - FRA - ...).

But if EK was a better option I'd consider it, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid.
I believe Saudia or whatever they call themselves now are to begin YYZ service soon.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Spounce
I believe Saudia or whatever they call themselves now are to begin YYZ service soon.
That would be interesting.

There are only a handful of people going to the Kingdom, and Riyadh or Jeddah would be pretty much 100% O&D because the connections (not to mention visa requirements...) are awful:

1. GCC residents (not many flying from YYZ)
2. Western business people (can't imagine there are too many flying from YYZ either, although I would have a few times about 2 years ago)
3. Workers (last I checked YYZ was not in Bangladesh)
4. Hajj pilgrims

I buy they could sustain seasonal service for #4, but not much else.

Last edited by RatherBeInYOW; Oct 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
That would be interesting.

There are only a handful of people going to the Kingdom, and Riyadh or Jeddah would be pretty much 100% O&D because the connections (not to mention visa requirements...) are awful:

1. GCC residents (not many flying from YYZ)
2. Western business people (can't imagine there are too many flying from YYZ either, although I would have a few times about 2 years ago)
3. Workers (last I checked YYZ was not in Bangladesh)
4. Hajj pilgrims

I buy they could sustain seasonal service for #4, but not much else.
Actually Saudia is offering some decent fares for onward connections to Pakistan and I believe India. They do not serve alcohol and on a long flight like that - so no Saudia for me. There are also Saudi students in Canada and since their govt pays tuition or part thereoff plus the direct flight would likely mean that most of them would fly Saudia. Probably affect EK/EY more than anyone else.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
And that was a very interesting, knowledgeable and lively debate between Spounce and Yulred backing somewhat opposite points of view. And for the most part without personal insults. I wish more threads were like this instead of the ritual flaming.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by vernonc
Actually Saudia is offering some decent fares for onward connections to Pakistan and I believe India. They do not serve alcohol and on a long flight like that - so no Saudia for me. There are also Saudi students in Canada and since their govt pays tuition or part thereoff plus the direct flight would likely mean that most of them would fly Saudia. Probably affect EK/EY more than anyone else.
If I was Indian or Pakistani (or had dark skin in general) I would avoid Saudi like the plague. The racism is overt and in your face. That is going to take a huge chunk out of any possible market in SE asia via RUH. Not to mention any issues or long layovers require a transit Visa, and good luck with that.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
If I was Indian or Pakistani (or had dark skin in general) I would avoid Saudi like the plague. The racism is overt and in your face. That is going to take a huge chunk out of any possible market in SE asia via RUH. Not to mention any issues or long layovers require a transit Visa, and good luck with that.
???
You are allowed up to 18 hours connection in order to use TWOV if flying on SV.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by yulred
Which airlines are actively expanding? And which ones are simply replacing their current fleets? And If the yields aren't strong, why are airlines actively clamouring to come in? I note that you've ignored the relationship between yields, operating costs and low cost bases.
Well, of all the routes they could have chosen, BA just put their new 787 LHR YYZ....???

Last edited by LockheedElectra; Jan 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Well, of all thenroutes they could have chosen BA just put their new 787 LHR YYZ....???
Replacement for the 767.
There is a new nav equipment requirement coming in, and BA is not intending to retrofit it to their 767's, so the 767 have to be off TATL by Feb 2015.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Air Canada shares rise above 5-year high in heavy trading

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-c...ding-1.1520515

TORONTO -- Air Canada's class B shares touched a fresh five-year high in heavy trading Wednesday, extending an upward trend that has seen the airline's stock value more than triple in the past year.

The shares (TSX:AC.B) traded for as much as $5.80 during the session, a level not seen since August 2008 -- just weeks before the economy slipped into a deep recession.

The shares were up 21 cents at $5.71 in afternoon trading.

A year ago, the stock closed at $1.80 on Oct. 30, 2012.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-c...ding-1.1520515

TORONTO -- Air Canada's class B shares touched a fresh five-year high in heavy trading Wednesday, extending an upward trend that has seen the airline's stock value more than triple in the past year.

The shares (TSX:AC.B) traded for as much as $5.80 during the session, a level not seen since August 2008 -- just weeks before the economy slipped into a deep recession.

The shares were up 21 cents at $5.71 in afternoon trading.

A year ago, the stock closed at $1.80 on Oct. 30, 2012.
Excellent. Just need to sell before the next round of labour negotiations.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Top gainer of today at 8.6% ! It took a bit of a beating the past few sessions but nodged the 52 Week High today.

Interesting activity around 10:30 AM with a huge buy order sending the price upwards...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
So, your position is AC are calculating CASM today differently from the calculation previously? Really??
+1, it's an internet board, so people can say whatever they want. The fact that there are accounting rules and audits of publicly traded companies is not relevant. I bought at around $3 as well
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
New 52-Week High! I Guess Feb. news release will see this stock either heading to $10+ or down to $5 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.