Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Baggage Allowance when rechecking at North American stopover

Old Oct 1, 13, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

If you're travelling HKG-SEA-YYZ with a several day stopover in SEA, will they charge a bag check fee when rechecking your bags at SEA?

Your allowance should still be the same as a direct flight of HKG-YYZ, correct? (e.g. 1 bag in economy with no status)
Old Oct 1, 13, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
No - since you have a stop over and not a connection, your baggage allowance on the SEA - YYZ segment will be the transborder limit, not the HKG - YYZ limit.

Unless you have status or you are travelling in Executive class, it will be $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second bag.
Old Oct 2, 13, 8:05 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
OP, I believe you are correct, and Jebby_ca is wrong.
Baggage allowance is per ticket, not per segment.
I believe USA DOT has specific rules about this.

Edit - just checked - the specific DOT rule says:

• Requires that the same baggage allowances and fees apply throughout a passenger’s journey

Last edited by IluvSQ; Oct 2, 13 at 8:10 am
Old Oct 2, 13, 9:21 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
I cannot comment on your specific flight but LY wedid BOM-FRA-YYZ with a 3 day stop in FRA. When checking in at FRA after our stopover, they said we were allowed 1 bag per person and would have to pay extra and then when she looked up the ticket she apologized and said that we were entitled to 2 bags as per the ticket. Apparently Europe-CAN flights were 1 bag and India-CAN flights were 2 bags.
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:09 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
It should be based on the whole ticket , not the segment.

For instance it's still the piece system when travelling between stopover segments within Asia for a TPAC ticket.
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US law, which applies because the first segment arrives at a US station, is that the allowance for first segment becomes the allowance for the entire ticket. So long as you are on the same ticket, e.g., XXX-USA-YYY, the allowance for XXX-USA will apply to USA-YYY.

But, if the second segment is a separate ticket, the allowance for that segment becomes the allowance for that ticket.
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I've had different experiences before I became a *G. Good luck trying to get the agent to waive the baggage fee.
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca View Post
I've had different experiences before I became a *G. Good luck trying to get the agent to waive the baggage fee.
Its not about the agent waiving the fee, the rules are what the agents have to go by.
Old Oct 2, 13, 1:39 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
In fact on UA, they waive the bag fees for the domestic segments if they are within X hours(days) of your separately ticketed TPAC flight, originating in either direction.
Old Oct 2, 13, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Again, if this is one ticket, US law requires that the first segment rules apply. Period. If you get any cr*ap, simply pay with a CC, dispute the charge on the grounds that UA has collected the fee in violation of the US DOT rule and also take the time to file the webform complaint on the DOT website.
Old Oct 2, 13, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
In fact on UA, they waive the bag fees for the domestic segments if they are within X hours(days) of your separately ticketed TPAC flight, originating in either direction.
Yes, if it is one ticket, it does not matter how long the stop-over/connection is - the international rules apply.

Amazing how many people supply misinformation.

Search this Thread