Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aventura VISA Promo - 30K Sign-Up Bonus

Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:55 am
alc
Original Poster

So CIBC had a new promo for 30K Sign-Up Bonus, but doesn't seems to have no 1st Year fee waived.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/features/ave...s-program.html

It seems it is only applied to the VISA Aventura and not the Mastercard Aventura.

Here is the section of the T&C that explain how to get the 30K Sign-Up bonus:

Offer applies to the following newly approved credit card accounts: CIBC Aventura Gold Visa Card and CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card, (each an “"Eligible Card”"). You will receive a welcome bonus of 15,000 Aventura Points when you make your first purchase at any time with an Eligible Card. Plus, if you open an Eligible Card between October 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013, you will be eligible to receive two additional bonuses: (i) you will receive an extra 10,000 Aventura Points if the first purchase made with your Eligible Card is posted to your account by January 31, 2014; and (ii) if an additional two or more purchases are posted to your Eligible Card account by January 31, 2014, you will receive an additional bonus of 5,000 Aventura Points. The following do not qualify as purchases: cash advances, interest, fees, balance transfers, payments, regular CIBC Convenience Cheques or Aventura Point redemptions. It may take up to several business days for purchases to be posted to your account. Bonus points will be awarded to the primary cardholder on the first monthly statement after the qualifying purchase(s) are posted to the account. Eligible Card account must be open and in good standing at the time the Aventura Points are awarded. Offer applies to newly approved Eligible Card accounts only; transfers from an existing CIBC credit card to an Eligible Card are excluded. Offer and bonus points are non-transferable. Offer may be revoked if you appear to be manipulating or abusing it, or are engaged in any suspicious or fraudulent activity, as determined by CIBC in its sole discretion. Offer may be withdrawn or changed without notice at any time.
hmm.. can Penguins really to able to fly
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
If you work in downtown Toronto, the launch party is on Oct 1st at noon in the courtyard of Commerce Court.
The website for the enhanced CIBC Aventura program is now live. Today's launch party in the CC courtyard is being set up now.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
If the fee is waived for the first year, it should be a hot deal.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by alc
It seems it is only applied to the VISA Aventura and not the Mastercard Aventura.
The MC is no longer available.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:06 am

The website for the enhanced CIBC Aventura program is now live. Today's launch party in the CC courtyard is being set up now.
I'm loving the new 30k signups we're seeing!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:53 am
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel_geek
The MC is no longer available.
Didn't noticed that. I understand why it is not listed for the promo now. Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:57 am
alc
Original Poster

Found a WSJ article for this changes today:

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-...01-903677.html
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Cana2013
If the fee is waived for the first year, it should be a hot deal.
Doubt they're gonna waive the annual fee, they seem to be attempting to shore up cash reserves prior to the loss of the aerogold cards and their annual fee. Notice the double signup bonuses if you make your purchases before the end of Jan.?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:04 am
alc
Original Poster

Another article from CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cibc...plan-1.1874612
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by BMGfan
I'm loving the new 30k signups we're seeing!
A sign-up bonus worth 3 short-haul flights??!!
(Yes, availability may be limited. But still...)

Sweet....

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 1, 2013 at 11:26 pm
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:06 pm

Its not that good. Earlier this year one got 15 000 points and 1st year fee free and now its 30 000 points but the fee is $120 right away. so now its 18 000 vs 15 000 before if one subtracts the 12 000 points for the fee cost.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BMGfan
Doubt they're gonna waive the annual fee, they seem to be attempting to shore up cash reserves prior to the loss of the aerogold cards and their annual fee. Notice the double signup bonuses if you make your purchases before the end of Jan.?
You get 15k for welcome, then the additional 15k only comes after 2014?
i wonder if you can convert these to aeroplan...

but definitely no annual fee waived makes it not interesting for me...
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by yerffej201
i wonder if you can convert these to aeroplan...
You can not. I was told by customer service today that all CIBC Aventura Cards issued from today forward, can not convert to AE...and existing cardholders move to the new terms and conditions (i.e. no transfers to AE) effective January 1, 2014.

New Aventura Terms and Conditions... https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards/aventuraterms.html
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:56 pm
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
You can not. I was told by customer service today that all CIBC Aventura Cards issued from today forward, can not convert to AE...and existing cardholders move to the new terms and conditions (i.e. no transfers to AE) effective January 1, 2014.

New Aventura Terms and Conditions... https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards/aventuraterms.html
Can you explain where you got this info? As when I read the T&C from the link you had, item#23 state:

The Primary Cardholder may convert Aventura Points to Aeroplan Miles at an exchange rate of 1 to 1, but only in increments of 10,000 Aventura Points. A conversion of Aventura Points to Aeroplan®2 Miles is considered to be a redemption of Aventura Points. By requesting a conversion, the Primary Cardholder authorizes CIBC and/or the Centre to disclose to Aeroplan the information necessary to facilitate the conversion. Your conversion request will not be processed immediately; the conversion may take several business days or longer. Therefore, when making your travel plans, you must allow sufficient time for the Centre to process the conversion as well as for Aeroplan to credit your Aeroplan account. CIBC and the Centre are not responsible for any failure or delay, including by Aeroplan in crediting your Aeroplan account. You cannot cancel a request to convert Aventura Points into Aeroplan miles nor may you convert Aeroplan miles into Aventura Points.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by alc
Can you explain where you got this info? As when I read the T&C from the link you had, item#23 state:

The Primary Cardholder may convert Aventura Points to Aeroplan Miles at an exchange rate of 1 to 1, but only in increments of 10,000 Aventura Points. A conversion of Aventura Points to Aeroplan®2 Miles is considered to be a redemption of Aventura Points. By requesting a conversion, the Primary Cardholder authorizes CIBC and/or the Centre to disclose to Aeroplan the information necessary to facilitate the conversion. Your conversion request will not be processed immediately; the conversion may take several business days or longer. Therefore, when making your travel plans, you must allow sufficient time for the Centre to process the conversion as well as for Aeroplan to credit your Aeroplan account. CIBC and the Centre are not responsible for any failure or delay, including by Aeroplan in crediting your Aeroplan account. You cannot cancel a request to convert Aventura Points into Aeroplan miles nor may you convert Aeroplan miles into Aventura Points.
Item 23 is from the terms valid until December 31. If you look at the 2014 terms you will not find any reference to converting your points to AE.

ADD: My link is from the Aventura website for existing cardholders. If you look at the terms & conditions on the main CIBC website pushing the new Aventura Card and 30K bonus, there is no mention of option to convert to Aeroplan at all which would seem to confirm the info given to me by customer service earlier today.

Last edited by yycworldtraveler; Oct 1, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.