Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aventura VISA Promo - 30K Sign-Up Bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aventura VISA Promo - 30K Sign-Up Bonus

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:11 am
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Still waiting on the CX gold though. I'll be applying for Amex Plat shortly.. The Business Plat request I haven't heard back yet, but did fill out the form that was sent to me by Amex. So we'll see
hmm, i thought the MPC benefit is for the $699 Personal AMEX Plat only and no the $399 Business AMEX Plat. I can't find it on the AMEX Web Site either. Hence, I think if you did got a form with your Business AMEX Plat package, that might be an error and I would not expect anything to come.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alc
hmm, i thought the MPC benefit is for the $699 Personal AMEX Plat only and no the $399 Business AMEX Plat. I can't find it on the AMEX Web Site either. Hence, I think if you did got a form with your Business AMEX Plat package, that might be an error and I would not expect anything to come.
You are correct. I was veered off course from someone mentioning that I should have CX gold with my business plat. By the time it was corrected by others on FT, I was sent a form by Amex for CX gold. So I went ahead and filled out the form anyways and sent it to Amex. I was signed up to another hotel loyalty program not offered on the business plat, but just waiting for a response from business plat for the answer on CX gold.

Ymmv on this method, as the reps on the Amex line didn't know the answer and sent me the form.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC SE
Does anyone have any experience in redeeming for flight rewards with Aventura? What does it use for a search engine? Can you see the booking class before you book for AC bookings? And can you still get status miles like a normal purchased ticket (or Avion ticket)?

I know with Avion you can't necessarily see the booking class beforehand, but at least you can get around it by requesting an authorization and doing your own booking at ac.com or another airline site if you don't see what you want on the Avion Travelocity search engine or if you want to make sure you don't end up with a Tango fare. Can you do this with Aventura?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:36 am
alc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry305
Aeroplan's 20% conversion bonus promotion is back on.
Promotion starts today, November 11, until December 9.

Includes most hotel & car partners. Excludes American Express Membership Rewards and CIBC Aventura.

More details at:
http://www3.aeroplan.com/promotions/..._webup3867a_AE
oh well.. so much for waiting before I cash out my Aventura points. I already convert most of my hotels points for the 20% bonus at UA, so, I guess I will not have anything to get the transfer bonus this time.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alc
oh well.. so much for waiting before I cash out my Aventura points. I already convert most of my hotels points for the 20% bonus at UA, so, I guess I will not have anything to get the transfer bonus this time.
Can you still transfer your Aventura to AE?

If so, you'd better transfer without the bonus, because CIBC is losing its current AE contract December 31st, 2013. Thereafter, it remains to be seen if Aventura is still transferable to AE. The last terms and conditions I read over did not indicate the ability to transfer from Aventura to AE.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:56 am
alc
Original Poster

Can you still transfer your Aventura to AE?
I will. I stop using my card when I hit 20,000 points (actually did a few refund to ensure I get to exactly 20K) when I learn from FlyerTalk here that we can't convert to Aeroplan next year. Just thought I can wait until this year-end transfer promo to get 20% extra. Anyway, once I convert, everything will be done and I will just cancel with the reason stating because I can't convert to Aeroplan anymore. If they did arrange another transfer partner(s), I think this card might have some value (depending the partners).. otherwise, relying only on using points to offset the ticket cost will never be consider a "good" credit card in Canada...IMO
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alc
I will. I stop using my card when I hit 20,000 points (actually did a few refund to ensure I get to exactly 20K) when I learn from FlyerTalk here that we can't convert to Aeroplan next year. Just thought I can wait until this year-end transfer promo to get 20% extra. Anyway, once I convert, everything will be done and I will just cancel with the reason stating because I can't convert to Aeroplan anymore. If they did arrange another transfer partner(s), I think this card might have some value (depending the partners).. otherwise, relying only on using points to offset the ticket cost will never be consider a "good" credit card in Canada...IMO
Agree. I would transfer sooner rather than later for some peace of mind. Who knows what kind rule changes will happen before now and December31st, 2013. T&C's reserve the right to change rules, and that includes transfer partners anytime. Its good that you got 20K right exactly on the nose. No point in waiting. Pull the trigger now while you can.

Interesting.. Did Aventura have transfer bonuses to AE in year's past?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by alc
Amex MR is excluded for the 20% transfer bonus again?????
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Amex MR is excluded for the 20% transfer bonus again?????
Been this way since the last transfer bonus October/November of 2011. Where did you get the impression that the transfer for Amex MR to AE is still happening?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:30 pm
alc
Original Poster

Interesting.. Did Aventura have transfer bonuses to AE in year's past?
As far as I know, this will be the first time it had been excluded in recent years. Aventura points had always been counted for these promo.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alc
As far as I know, this will be the first time it had been excluded in recent years. Aventura points had always been counted for these promo.
So it was this year that the Amex MR to AE points have been discluded?

I was considering one of the hotel programs offered for the promo, but with the changes in the offer, and the offer not remaining static, I don't want to be caught holding a bag of points, that I would otherwise not collect. I see Mariott, SPG, and Hilton points are transferrable for the bonus.. but how long? Hyatt points are no longer transferable, and this was a year or 2 back.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by gcashin
Does anyone have any experience in redeeming for flight rewards with Aventura? What does it use for a search engine? Can you see the booking class before you book for AC bookings? And can you still get status miles like a normal purchased ticket (or Avion ticket)?

I know with Avion you can't necessarily see the booking class beforehand, but at least you can get around it by requesting an authorization and doing your own booking at ac.com or another airline site if you don't see what you want on the Avion Travelocity search engine or if you want to make sure you don't end up with a Tango fare. Can you do this with Aventura?
I'm got the same questions. Given my location and typical ticket prices, I see potential for good value in the card's sign up bonus even if first year isn't free. I've got no problems flying Y for short/mid hauls and save the F/J long haul trips for other points programs.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Been this way since the last transfer bonus October/November of 2011. Where did you get the impression that the transfer for Amex MR to AE is still happening?
I am just hoping for a new transfer promo from MR to Aeroplan.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I am just hoping for a new transfer promo from MR to Aeroplan.
I think we are all hoping. And as usual for the past couple years.. nothing. Which is quite disappointing actually.

I don't think its Amex. I think its Aeroplan responding to CX Gold, and ripping out all of the promos helping CX Gold.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:35 pm
alc
Original Poster

Just thought to provide a data point for those who are planning to transfer all your Aventura points to Aeroplan before Dec 31. I called in last Monday and the miles show up last Wednesday... so the typical 2 days. But what I want to highlight is that I actually provide my wife Aeroplan number on purpose over the phone. My thought is that if it reject or someone called me, I will just say "oops, sorry" But it went thru. My wife kept her maiden name, so last name is different. She is the supplementary card holder and off course we have the same address. So, not sure if it went thru because (1) they do not care (2) her name on my account (3) same address.... or both (2) + (3)

anyway, hope this info will help someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.