US Govt Shutdown - effects on AC

Old Sep 30, 13, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
US Govt Shutdown - effects on AC

As I read the news today it seems increasingly likely that the political showdown our neighbours in the south are going through will lead to some form of government shutdown possibly starting tomorrow. I am unclear as to what this could actually entail.

So without debating the actual merits of such action, what are the potential effects? For example, will ATC slow down as they scale back on workers or will it shut down? What about TSA? Many of us have NEXUS & GE but one still has to go through security at some point. Is transportation considered an essential service so they'll somehow keep things moving but close things like national parks and safety inspections?

Will all AC transborder flights be affected? What about other AC flights that overfly US airspace (such as YYZ-SCL-EZE)?
Old Sep 30, 13, 9:07 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
I heard on the radio this morning that they're expecting a 14% furlough at the Department of Homeland Security. That means fewer border guards which I assume would dramatically increase processing time. I wonder how well those new passport-reading machines at YUL are working out
Old Sep 30, 13, 9:11 am

Programs: AC E35K
TSA, CBP, and air traffic continue to operate.

They are all considered "essential" (insert your favourite TSA joke here).

The people doing the work might not get they pay until a shutdown stopped.

I don't know about visa and passport matters.
Old Sep 30, 13, 3:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
I heard on the radio this morning that they're expecting a 14% furlough at the Department of Homeland Security. That means fewer border guards which I assume would dramatically increase processing time. I wonder how well those new passport-reading machines at YUL are working out
Not good. I am going to the US next week.
Old Sep 30, 13, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE*100K
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-s-gov...pens-1.1870936

Air traffic control, the military, prisons, border security, mail delivery, anything related to national security and public safety, social security cheques, emergency medical care, and food safety inspection are examples of things that would be unaffected.
I'll find out first hand tomorrow I guess, but I'm not expecting any changes at the airport.
Old Sep 30, 13, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by Cana2013 View Post
I"m here now and my wife is flying 7am tomorrow morning back to Canada

I don't get to stressed about delays but my wife gets all worked up when traveling solo.

I'd suspect things will start backing up as the day go on and if it lasts more then a few days and/or a massive weather event happens I sure wouldn't want to have connections.
Old Sep 30, 13, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cana2013 View Post
I'm taking some domestic US flights this weekend. And I have a 40 minute connection in EWR.

I will be very annoyed if this affects anything related to flying
Old Sep 30, 13, 6:34 pm

Programs: TK*G, AC Aeroplan, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Nexus/GE, Hertz #1 Gold
I've also got a few flights in the next couple of days. Mrs. CanadaDH is flying back from DCA tomorrow evening. I'm flying to ORD, CLE and BWI over Wed and Thurs. Hopefully it will all go smoothly!
Old Sep 30, 13, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Should be interesting over the next little while. The shutdown has started. Per The Washington Post:

The Twitter account for the U.S. Capitol is now officially offline:

Due to a lapse in government funding, this account will not be active until further notice.

U.S. Capitol (@uscapitol)
Old Sep 30, 13, 11:28 pm

Programs: AP, CX Gold, HHonours Gold, SPG Gold, KL/AF Gold
Originally Posted by RCyyz View Post
Should be interesting over the next little while. The shutdown has started. Per The Washington Post:

The Twitter account for the U.S. Capitol is now officially offline:

Due to a lapse in government funding, this account will not be active until further notice.

— U.S. Capitol (@uscapitol)
Let the Idiot Olympics start... Bunch of partisan bullies and buffoons really... Sad part is Canada, while a good while away from the circus in the US, is slowly getting every bit partisan and polarized.
Old Oct 1, 13, 9:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'm taking some domestic US flights this weekend. And I have a 40 minute connection in EWR.

I will be very annoyed if this affects anything related to flying
Now officially down.

Please let us know your experience in the US
Old Oct 1, 13, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
I'm in DC now. Government workers reported to offices to turn in BB's, laptops. No immediate sign of impact yet. Flying home tomorrow from DCA. Will report back on observations.
Old Oct 1, 13, 10:30 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
The 14% furlough refers to employees who are not excepted. This does not include TSA/Border officials.

Unlike the sequestration which dealt solely with budget, the shutdown does discriminate between job types. So, if your job type is not excepted, you go home, no matter how many there are in your department. The exceptions tend to include people involved in immediate safety and security jobs, so the TSA, FAA, Immigration, etc. continue to work. In some government agencies, like NASA, virtually the entire agency is shut down, with only a skeleton crew staying on. Other agencies like Homeland Security have most of their staff working. Other exceptions include staff who care for animals at the National Zoo (although the Zoo itself is closed) and staff who are funded by fees and non-tax revenue, such as the Postal Service, visa services, and the Kennedy Center.
Old Oct 1, 13, 10:35 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by You want to go where? View Post
The 14% furlough refers to employees who are not excepted. This does not include TSA/Border officials.

Unlike the sequestration which dealt solely with budget, the shutdown does discriminate between job types. So, if your job type is not excepted, you go home, no matter how many there are in your department. The exceptions tend to include people involved in immediate safety and security jobs, so the TSA, FAA, Immigration, etc. continue to work. In some government agencies, like NASA, virtually the entire agency is shut down, with only a skeleton crew staying on. Other agencies like Homeland Security have most of their staff working. Other exceptions include staff who care for animals at the National Zoo (although the Zoo itself is closed) and staff who are funded by fees and non-tax revenue, such as the Postal Service, visa services, and the Kennedy Center.
Cool, thanks for the clarification The news report on the radio was very clear about the 14% applying to DHS and CBP in particular, but all subsequent reports have said otherwise. Hopefully there won't be too much impact on air travellers, but I guess we'll see what happens in the coming days.
Old Oct 1, 13, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by You want to go where? View Post
Thanks for the detail.

Search this Thread