Search

What more could I have done?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC
What more could I have done?

Flew my first two flights on ac today after making 75k ten days ago. 5.5 days out I called aeroplan and requested my upgrades. Nice agent. Today at yvr I asked at the checkin counter re:upgrades and was told to check at gate after some discussion as to the likelihood. Went to gate. No upgrade although
10 people minimum were called for upgrades. Got to lounge in yyz for my flight to turkey and was told it was too early for her to check. (Grumpy lady) While on the ground in yvr I had checked my upgrade account and saw I was still wait listed for both. Lounge lady told me to go to gate 40 minutes before which I did and when I asked about the upgrade I was told they were complete and I wasn't even on the list. She told me to contact customer service. I suspect I wasn't on the list in yvr to yyz either.

Okay. Not the end of the world. But what does one have to do to not fall through the cracks in the system? Be a constant pest?

Signed,

1 for 7 in 2013
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Hmm that's odd. Seems like somebody accidentally took you off the upgrade list. Not sure what else a normal person could have done.

Hope you get it on the way back!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you check on the web that the upgrade request was indeed done properly?

Agents make mistakes.

I prefer to do it myself, and I check regularly. I believe at least in one instance a request that had been there vanished.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stranger

Agents make mistakes.

I prefer to do it myself, and I check regularly. I believe at least in one instance a request that had been there vanished.
Good idea. Checking on the web is much easier.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger

Agents make mistakes.

+1. I trust the web more than a random agent.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Lornag
Flew my first two flights on ac today after making 75k ten days ago. 5.5 days out I called aeroplan and requested my upgrades. Nice agent. Today at yvr I asked at the checkin counter re:upgrades and was told to check at gate after some discussion as to the likelihood. Went to gate. No upgrade although
10 people minimum were called for upgrades. Got to lounge in yyz for my flight to turkey and was told it was too early for her to check. (Grumpy lady) While on the ground in yvr I had checked my upgrade account and saw I was still wait listed for both. Lounge lady told me to go to gate 40 minutes before which I did and when I asked about the upgrade I was told they were complete and I wasn't even on the list. She told me to contact customer service. I suspect I wasn't on the list in yvr to yyz either.

Okay. Not the end of the world. But what does one have to do to not fall through the cracks in the system? Be a constant pest?

Signed,

1 for 7 in 2013
Next time, bring a box of Timbits for the GA.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I find it's a bit confusing when checking in online for a flight that you are already on the upgrade WL. It will then ask you again whether you want an eUpgrade.

Why does it ask you this if you are already supposedly on the list?

If you assume you are on the list and do not reconfirm the eUpgrade does this remove you?

Last edited by Argonaut1000; Sep 25, 2013 at 12:18 am
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
A couple of years ago (pre eUpgrades) I was flying to CDG and I had called in a couple of days prior to get on the upgrade wait list.

Flight day. I got to the airport early, was waiting in the lounge, and at boarding time I went to the gate and asked if they had processed the upgrade list yet. I was told (1) Yes they had and J was now full, (2) I was not even on the upgrade list, and (3) it's too bad because I had higher status than some people who did get upgrades, so if I'd been on the list then I would have cleared.

Missing out on an upgrade happens ... but missing an upgrade because there's some screw-up about the list is even more frustrating. Since then I've made it a habit to confirm with the checkin agent that I am at least on the list. They will not tell you if your upgrade has cleared, or where you stand on the list ... but they will at least confirm that you are on the list.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
A couple of years ago (pre eUpgrades) I was flying to CDG and I had called in a couple of days prior to get on the upgrade wait list.

Flight day. I got to the airport early, was waiting in the lounge, and at boarding time I went to the gate and asked if they had processed the upgrade list yet. I was told (1) Yes they had and J was now full, (2) I was not even on the upgrade list, and (3) it's too bad because I had higher status than some people who did get upgrades, so if I'd been on the list then I would have cleared.

Missing out on an upgrade happens ... but missing an upgrade because there's some screw-up about the list is even more frustrating. Since then I've made it a habit to confirm with the checkin agent that I am at least on the list. They will not tell you if your upgrade has cleared, or where you stand on the list ... but they will at least confirm that you are on the list.
I posted about this a while back, but one time, I had a confirmed upgrade YVR-YUL. Due to IRROPS, I missed the flight, and was rebooked onto a YVR-YYZ the next day. They said they couldn't give me the upgrade, but they put me on the list. J was wide open, so I had high hopes.

Next morning, I ask the MLL agent if I should eat in the lounge, or if my upgrade's going to go through. She said to just eat a very small snack.

I get to the gate, and boarding has begun. Up to the podium, and I ask if the upgrades have been processed. "Yes, what's your name?" "cow" "You weren't on the list." "The lounge agent sure seemed to think I was."

She checked her computer for a few minutes, then to a colleague, said, "Hey, come look at this. This gentleman isn't on this upgrade list, but is on THIS upgrade list." "Oh that's very strange."

"Sir, would you like window or aisle?"

So I got the upgrade, as J was only half full. But had there been a lot of people on the list, I doubt I would have been nearly as lucky. And I had checked with someone at the airport, and I was on a list, just not the list.

So while there are things you can do to verify, it's hard to know exactly what you need to do. "Hi can you tell me if I'm on both upgrade lists?" is probably going to get you a blank stare.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC-E50. Marriott Plat
and with that kind of track record, AC still expects us to pay huge price differential for Flex over Tango, for the privilege of participating in an opaque scheme with many IT glitches and confusion among staff on how to administer the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.