FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Um, hello? (New low in J vs Y etiquette?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1505119-um-hello-new-low-j-vs-y-etiquette.html)

EllaMinnowPea Sep 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Um, hello? (New low in J vs Y etiquette?)

So, as a friend of mine (let's call her Ella) was settling in for a long YVR-YYZ flight last evening in seat 12F, she pulls out her excellent book and begins to read by the light of the late, sunny afternoon. Rather quickly after take off, Mr Seat 5F not only kneecaps quiet Miss Ella with his slam-back seat recline but then reaches back AND CLOSES MISS ELLA'S WINDOW SHADE.

Really? Really? What. Is. Up. With. That?? Please explain this entitled, selfish and ignorant behavior to me. Am I missing something?

Doc Savage Sep 21, 2013 7:50 pm

5F and 12F? He must have long arms and you must have long legs.

Sounds like a juicebag, nonetheless.

winnipegrev Sep 21, 2013 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 21483176)
5F and 12F? He must have long arms and you must have long legs.

Sounds like a juicebag, nonetheless.

Row 5 is the last row of J and 12 is the first row of Y on AC A321s.

The reverse - I've had E90 12F reach forward and close my window shade in line with 3F (when reclined). I just immediately reopened it.

Symmetre Sep 21, 2013 7:54 pm

I hope young Miss Ella's response was to simply re-open the shade. If given grief about it by the clown in 5F, she could have simply pointed out that the light won't bother him if he does not recline the seat all the way down into her lap.

Doc Savage Sep 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev (Post 21483180)

The reverse - I've had E90 12F reach forward and close my window shade in line with 3F (when reclined). I just immediately reopened it.

Ah.... I forgot aboot the fact you Canucks use the metric system.;)

rankourabu Sep 21, 2013 7:57 pm

#classwarfare

Clearly, Mr.5F is a very important businessman, how dare you questions his actions when he sits in the luxurious executive cabin on an airplane.

EllaMinnowPea Sep 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 21483185)
I hope young Miss Ella's response was to simply re-open the shade. If given grief about it by the clown in 5F, she could have simply pointed out that the light won't bother him if he does not recline the seat all the way down into her lap.

That was, in fact, Miss Ella's response. Mr. D**checanoe did turn around to glare at our poor heroine, but as luck would have it, Miss Ella had spent years perfecting her icy death stare so she was well equipped to handle it.

canadiancow Sep 21, 2013 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 21483185)

There are so many reasons I dislike the last row of J on the 319/20/21, and a clash of the windows would just be one more.

One time the person in 12B stuck his cane through into the armrest on the AC side in my row. It was my first time in J as an adult, so I didn't know what to do. I mean it was a mobility device and all...

Swarez Sep 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Mr 5F was interested in Ella. Did not have confidence/game to talk to her, used other means to put himself in her view. Hoped this would lead to some sort of interaction, and from there interest. She didn't pick up his signals.

Good job Ella, missed your chance of flying in J in the future.

This is middle school tactics, am I the only one young enough to remember middle school?

EllaMinnowPea Sep 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Swarez (Post 21483388)
Mr 5F was interested in Ella. Did not have confidence/game to talk to her, used other means to put himself in her view. Hoped this would lead to some sort of interaction, and from there interest. She didn't pick up his signals.

This is middle school tactics, am I the only one young enough to remember middle school?

I can't....I don't even....are you seri...what?

mevlannen Sep 21, 2013 9:24 pm

A thoughtful grandmother who usually hangs out in 1C (but upon occasion occupies 12F) suggests sneezing loudly and damply in the direction of Mr J. Daddy Warbucks, Esq. Amazing how well that works. ^_^

Oscar Goldman Sep 21, 2013 9:46 pm

I just think it's funny you feel YVR - YYZ is a long flight. :D

maradori Sep 22, 2013 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Swarez (Post 21483388)

ROFL :D :D :D :D Thanks for making my day!!!

Symmetre is right, Miss Ella should just re-open the window shade. In fact, Miss Ella should help out Mr 5F by suggesting he buy a pair of eyeshades for his future flights ;)

yyz_atc_qq Sep 22, 2013 2:10 am

Originally Posted by winnipegrev (Post 21483180)

I know it's been a few months since I flew, but last I checked the E190 has a hard physical bulkhead between row 3 and row 12. Is there a window that splits the bulkhead?

cperciva Sep 22, 2013 3:16 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 21483217)
One time the person in 12B stuck his cane through into the armrest on the AC side in my row. It was my first time in J as an adult, so I didn't know what to do. I mean it was a mobility device and all...

One of my first flights in J had be seated in 5A and a baby (maybe 6 months old?) kept crawling through from 12B onto the armrest. The mother was very apologetic, but I didn't mind -- I wasn't trying to get any work done at the time, and the baby was more entertaining than the movies!