ac refused to help me again in ewr

Old Sep 17, 13, 5:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Posts: 182
ac refused to help me again in ewr

I am traveling from bda to yvr and tix was booked on united with connection in ewr. The ewr to yvr is on air Canada. Paid J. And I am E75 with ac. Upon arrival in ewr I went to ac check in counter to see if everything is ok with my reservation (my phone was dead so I wasn't able to check my reservation on the phone). When I approach the Agent behind counter and she told me that I have to use the kiosk before come to see her. So I went to the kiosk and punched in the AC reservation number (not the ua reservation number)and the machine could not locate my reservation. I have also tried to type in my name my aeroplan number with no luck at well. So I went back to her and told her the kiosk could not locate my reservation. I told her my flight leaves tomorrow morning at 7am .(it was 5pm) Then she told me just to come back tomorrow morning without even look it up on her computer. I told her the kiosk couldn't locate my reservation and she said that I will have to take it up with the morning crew or call ac reservation. She said she couldnt check my reservation unless the flight leaves before midnight (which doesn't make any sense to me). With no help at ac I walked to UA counter. I was attended by Alice s. I told her I booked a codeshare flight operated by ac but I couldn't locate my reservation on ac kiosk and ac staff refused to help me. (I got no status with UA). She immediately checked on her computer and told me she saw my reservation on her system and she said she wanted to make sure ac has it too so she called ac reservation right away. After talking to ac she told me that ac has my reservation as well and she also checked me in with ac and told me I can obtain my boarding pass with ac. Last month I was flying ewr to yvr on ac. The flight left with a few empty j seats and my eupgrade didn't clear.. The GA refused to check if I was on the waiting list. I am pretty sick from my trip in Bermuda. just hope everything will go well tomorrow.
supremekai is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:11 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 21,700
If you have the AC locator, you should be able to check on internet. At aircanada.com.

Perhaps you had the wrong locator?

As to upgrades, situation differs between booked on the AC flight number or the UA codeshare.
Stranger is online now  
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:13 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,690
Cool

Originally Posted by supremekai View Post
I am pretty sick from my trip in Bermuda. just hope everything will go well tomorrow.
Condolences on your trip to Bermuda.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:15 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
If you have the AC locator, you should be able to check on internet. At aircanada.com.

Perhaps you had the wrong locator?

As to upgrades, situation differs between booked on the AC flight number or the UA codeshare.
My phone was dead so I couldn't check in online. Last time I booked ewr to yvr on ac.com flex fare and requested eupgrade at t-7. This time it is ua code share operated by ac. Paid j class so i dont need to worry about eupgrade.
supremekai is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:17 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Quote:





Originally Posted by supremekai


I am pretty sick from my trip in Bermuda. just hope everything will go well tomorrow.




Condolences on your trip to Bermuda.
Lol at least I am still in 2013.
supremekai is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Posts: 1,252
If you can log onto united.com and go under the "Manage Your Reservations" section, you can click on that, and click on the additional PNR number box in the left hand corner. That will bring up the Air Canada code.
yqtyyz is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:41 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by yqtyyz View Post
If you can log onto united.com and go under the "Manage Your Reservations" section, you can click on that, and click on the additional PNR number box in the left hand corner. That will bring up the Air Canada code.
Yes. I know that and I have the ac reservation code. But my phone was dead I couldn't check my reservation or check in online. That's why I went to ac counter seeking help. The ac kiosk couldn't locate my ac reservation with my ac reservation code and ac staff refused to help me too.. I just wanted to make sure they have my reservation. Thanks to unite I finally got helped by united. They have called ac reservation for me to confirm they have my reservation and checked me in.
supremekai is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 6:51 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto, ON, CANADA
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Posts: 1,663
I can sympathize with the treatment you received from AC - no paying customer should be treated badly. However, most airport agents will not be able to help you with flights departing the next day. Also, the kiosk only allows you to check-in up to 12 hours before departure time.

It looks like you were trying to check in at 5pm for a flight leaving at 7am the next day, thus you were outside of the 12 hour window. Best bet would have been to find an outlet (there are outlets at EWR by the Air Canada check-in area, I've used them myself before), plug in your phone, and attempt to check-in online.
Jebby_ca is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 7:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Posts: 1,252
Yeah, there is that window where you cannot access the details. I didn't catch the timing of your flights. It happens to me as well, whenever I have an AC flight that's under a United Reservation. No excuse by AC not to help you out, though.

Originally Posted by supremekai View Post
Yes. I know that and I have the ac reservation code. But my phone was dead I couldn't check my reservation or check in online. That's why I went to ac counter seeking help. The ac kiosk couldn't locate my ac reservation with my ac reservation code and ac staff refused to help me too.. I just wanted to make sure they have my reservation. Thanks to unite I finally got helped by united. They have called ac reservation for me to confirm they have my reservation and checked me in.
yqtyyz is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 7:15 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Posts: 182
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca View Post
I can sympathize with the treatment you received from AC - no paying customer should be treated badly. However, most airport agents will not be able to help you with flights departing the next day. Also, the kiosk only allows you to check-in up to 12 hours before departure time.

It looks like you were trying to check in at 5pm for a flight leaving at 7am the next day, thus you were outside of the 12 hour window. Best bet would have been to find an outlet (there are outlets at EWR by the Air Canada check-in area, I've used them myself before), plug in your phone, and attempt to check-in online.
thanks for the tip. My brain wasn't functioning at all. Just wanted to get it done and get to my hotel and have some rest.
supremekai is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 11:49 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 4,252
I have also had a bad experience in EWR by AC about two weeks ago.

Recently flying Costa Rica - Newark - Vancouver on UA ticket stock, with Newark - Vancouver on AC metal. I am AC E35k, my wife is E75k.

Three bags between us.

My wife asked EWR AC check in agent for him to check the 3 bags in under her entitlement for 3 priority bags under Star Gold + E75K. Agent refused to do this - checked in two bags under priority and one under regular checked baggage as I was E35K. Indirectly brushed us off before we realized one bag is down the conveyor belt without a priority tag on it.

I ask what is the point of the entitlement? We are both headed to the same house. Of course we ended up waiting extra time unnecessarily in Vancouver for that extra bag.

Further challenges by the gate staff on boarding- "your status isn't showing on your Boarding Passes. You can't use the priority boarding lane." So what if the UA paper stock doesn't show AC Top Tier - merely Star Gold?? This despite obvious E75 K tags on hand luggage. . . Further waits while all bags are put down and the cards are pulled out- blocking up the line.

Groan.

I'm proud to say that I've flown less than 3,647 miles on this carrier this year. This included the 2,429 EWR-YVR miles.

RANT over.
worldtraveller73 is offline  
Old Sep 17, 13, 11:59 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LGA
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Posts: 2,252
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
I ask what is the point of the entitlement? We are both headed to the same house. Of course we ended up waiting extra time unnecessarily in Vancouver for that extra bag.

Further challenges by the gate staff on boarding- "your status isn't showing on your Boarding Passes. You can't use the priority boarding lane." So what if the UA paper stock doesn't show AC Top Tier - merely Star Gold?? This despite obvious E75 K tags on hand luggage. . . Further waits while all bags are put down and the cards are pulled out- blocking up the line.
This reminds me of the time at the whole foods recently where the cashier straight up LIED and said he validated my parking, so I pull out, hand my parking ticket to the gate attendant and am told that it isn't validated and I owe $3. While protesting (literally 1 minute or less) 15 cars line up behind me. I told them, just waive it, here are three bags of groceries and a receipt for $90 - nopes. So she pages two guys to back cars up, so I can back up, and go inside to get my ticket validated.... ridiculous waste of 5 minutes of everyone's time.

Last edited by Tedgrrrr; Sep 18, 13 at 5:33 am
Tedgrrrr is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 6:10 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Posts: 984
it seems as though the staff are getting increasingly more reliant on the kiosks and have forgotten that they are customer service agents and providing a service to the customer is in their direct job description. I for one prefer to use the kiosks or OLCI as much as possible; however there are going to be times where the system either doesn't work as designed or as the OP has said the means by which we use OLCI might not be available.
For someone to completely disregard the request to check the reservation whilst having the capability to do this is sheer laziness and nothing more. This isn't isolated to EWR as I've had the same issues in other US airports where the kiosk wasn't able to bring up my reservation and the overpaid muppet at the desk was quite upset that they had to do their job...shocking!!!
Neil791 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 6:12 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 11,920
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
was it the straight up &*()(*& with the hijab? she's the biggest [email protected]#$%&$#$%& I've ever been had the displeasure of meeting. I'm flying to YYC soon, and if she gives me any attitude I'm going to give her a big yelling, and I NEVER yell.
This ought to be good.What is your point? Yelling at people who apparantly give attitude will not resolve the situation. There has to be a better way
acysb87 is offline  
Old Sep 18, 13, 6:59 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LGA
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Posts: 2,252
Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
This ought to be good.What is your point? Yelling at people who apparantly give attitude will not resolve the situation. There has to be a better way
That's why I never yell, but I'll make an exception @ EWR, if this gal gives me a reason to. The attitude of EWR staff has been documented well on Flyertalk.
Tedgrrrr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread