Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Amex points to Aeroplan conversion bonus promos dead??

Old Sep 11, 13, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan; Driver's Edge

Amex points have been excluded from the last few conversion bonus promos. Any idea if we may ever see a bonus for Amex conversions again?
Old Sep 11, 13, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Nobody knows, but it's safe to assume so (yes, it's dead) after last 2.5 years without any AMEX-included transfer bonus

Aeroplan/AIMIA has other busy plans with TD and CIBC and etc..
Old Sep 11, 13, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Last Amex (Canada) bonus was May '12, not 2.5 years ago.

I remain hopeful. AP funds sign up bonuses, so given the new incentives on the Amex AP card, AP seem to want to sell more miles to Amex. More likely out than in, but I would not be as surprised to see it included in a future round. Recall that if there is a September transfer bonus this has typically been for hotel points only. It is November when we will see, if AP follows its usual calendar.

Fingers crossed!
Old Sep 11, 13, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
Amex points have been excluded from the last few conversion bonus promos. Any idea if we may ever see a bonus for Amex conversions again?
Doubt it.
Old Sep 11, 13, 6:26 pm

There has been speculation that it's dead because Amex wants to promote their AeroplanPlus cards. No one will sign up for those cards if they can earn MRs and have big transfer bonuses to AE. I wonder if they'll exclude the transfer altogether at some point...
Old Sep 11, 13, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by pokee View Post
There has been speculation that it's dead because Amex wants to promote their AeroplanPlus cards. No one will sign up for those cards if they can earn MRs and have big transfer bonuses to AE. I wonder if they'll exclude the transfer altogether at some point...
don't say such things!
Old Sep 11, 13, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've got 188K of Amex points and my wife has 18K of Amex points. Total of possible 680K of AE points if I transfer all to AE.

If I end up getting CX Gold through Marco Polo Gold offered through American Express Plat, I've heard that I can transfer to BA One World and it costs less miles to do our HI jaunt (with status, possible for upgrades, baggage, etc), although no stopovers allowable from what I can tell. Still researching the possibilities, but being led down the garden path.. so to speak.

Without the bonus, low hanging fruit visions are starting to surface on this end.
Old Sep 12, 13, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
I've got 188K of Amex points and my wife has 18K of Amex points. Total of possible 680K of AE points if I transfer all to AE.

If I end up getting CX Gold through Marco Polo Gold offered through American Express Plat, I've heard that I can transfer to BA One World and it costs less miles to do our HI jaunt (with status, possible for upgrades, baggage, etc), although no stopovers allowable from what I can tell. Still researching the possibilities, but being led down the garden path.. so to speak.

Without the bonus, low hanging fruit visions are starting to surface on this end.
Or your math is wrong?
Old Sep 12, 13, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Or your math is wrong?
I was about to ask how that could be. Too good to be true...
Old Sep 12, 13, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Or your math is wrong?
Originally Posted by erik19283 View Post
I was about to ask how that could be. Too good to be true...
Forgot to indicate, the balance of all of my points are in my and my wife's AE account. So if we transferred all of the points to AE, we would get 680K of AE points.

So 474K of AE points total in my and my wife's AE account. About 17K AE in my wife's and 457K AE points in mine, for a 474K total AE points. 474K plus 188K Amex points in my Amex account, plus 18K Amex points in my wife's Amex account, gives a total of 680K AE points if all the Amex points are transferred over.

I'm considering transferring to BA, if I have CX gold through Amex Business Platinum (would be an exception), flying with status on cc points. So have the 188K and 18K Amex points that can be transferred over.
Old Sep 12, 13, 8:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others

I am no MPC expert, but I did not those types of transfers were possible. Maybe ask on the CX forum.
Old Sep 12, 13, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Forgot to indicate, the balance of all of my points are in my and my wife's AE account. So if we transferred all of the points to AE, we would get 680K of AE points.

So 474K of AE points total in my and my wife's AE account. About 17K AE in my wife's and 457K AE points in mine, for a 474K total AE points. 474K plus 188K Amex points in my Amex account, plus 18K Amex points in my wife's Amex account, gives a total of 680K AE points if all the Amex points are transferred over.

I'm considering transferring to BA, if I have CX gold through Amex Business Platinum (would be an exception), flying with status on cc points. So have the 188K and 18K Amex points that can be transferred over.
Originally Posted by grumbler View Post
I am no MPC expert, but I did not those types of transfers were possible. Maybe ask on the CX forum.
He probably just meant that he can transfer 188K+18K AMEX MR >> BA Avios during a transfer bonus (say 50%)

or he can transfer AMEX MR >> CX directly, at a bad ratio too

There's no way to transfer from Aeroplan >> CX MPC/Asia Miles easily, or without much loss
Old Sep 12, 13, 9:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
He probably just meant that he can transfer 188K+18K AMEX MR >> BA Avios during a transfer bonus (say 50%)

or he can transfer AMEX MR >> CX directly, at a bad ratio too

There's no way to transfer from Aeroplan >> CX MPC/Asia Miles easily, or without much loss
Correct.. I meant I could transfer to BA, the points I have with Amex. I did not intend to transfer from AC to BA. CX gold would be status on Oneworld which would give me status on BA. Plus its less to redeem HI on BA, and with upgrade possibilities and baggage, thus the low hanging fruit ripe for the picking.

I did not know that BA has the 50% bonus. How often does this happen? I assume its transferring from Amex to BA..
Old Sep 12, 13, 10:27 am

Amex Canada -> Avios 50% transfer bonus ended a couple of months ago. For YYC-Hawaii, you will need 34,000 Avios per ticket round-trip in Y, and the only possible one-stop routing is via SEA on Alaskan. Avios charges per segment, so you can make a stop at SEA at no additional cost. No upgrades though, as your status will be with CX, not AS.
Old Sep 12, 13, 10:30 am

This is my thread, should be fairly complete, but let me know if I missed anything: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/avion...story-1138250/

Amex to Avios has happened once each of the last 2 years in May and March

Last Amex Canada transfer was May/June 2012, Last Amex US was November 2011

Search this Thread