Suites or Seats? Flying J class to BKK

Old Sep 10, 13, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E50K, Hyatt Platinum, NEXUS/GE, Amex Platinum, CX Gold (till July 2015), Mlife Gold

Hi All,

Am surprising my wife by taking her to Thailand for Xmas and we're going to fly up front. I know that AC has transitioned their 77W's to the new "Executive First Seat", and was just curious as to how they compared to the older pods that are still on the 77L. The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out if I want to route through NRT (77W) or HKG (77L), depending on the feedback I get. No real difference in the price at this point.

Any and all feedback from the experts here is always appreciated.

Best,

Cale
Old Sep 10, 13, 3:48 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I believe only YVRHKG has the high density config for Asia.

So far the three people who've flown J on the new 777 prefer the pods.
Old Sep 10, 13, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Cale905 View Post
Hi All,

Am surprising my wife by taking her to Thailand for Xmas and we're going to fly up front. I know that AC has transitioned their 77W's to the new "Executive First Seat", and was just curious as to how they compared to the older pods that are still on the 77L. The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out if I want to route through NRT (77W) or HKG (77L), depending on the feedback I get. No real difference in the price at this point.

Any and all feedback from the experts here is always appreciated.

Best,

Cale
J class looks to be an identical seat so far as I can tell via aircanada and seatguru.

I would book which ever one got me a connection with a Thai a380 for the BKK leg.

Are you planning revenue or reward seats? If reward keep in mind you can avoid AC and fly another airline (eg EVA) to avoid the reward taxes.
Old Sep 10, 13, 4:02 pm

Pods are not designed well for travel as a couple. You will not be able to talk easily. The new config seats are much better for sitting together.
Old Sep 10, 13, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
Originally Posted by echino View Post
Pods are not designed well for travel as a couple. You will not be able to talk easily. The new config seats are much better for sitting together.
For sure!!!!!
Old Sep 10, 13, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by echino View Post
Could be a benefit to some
Old Sep 10, 13, 5:11 pm

Programs: Aeropeso
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
Could be a benefit to some

*insert drum rimshot sound*
Old Sep 10, 13, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E50K, Hyatt Platinum, NEXUS/GE, Amex Platinum, CX Gold (till July 2015), Mlife Gold
Revenue seats...don't have enough points for both of us to fly up front.

Looks like YYZ-HKG-BKK is going to be the route for me. Thanks for the input!

Cale
Old Sep 10, 13, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cale905 View Post
Revenue seats...don't have enough points for both of us to fly up front.

Looks like YYZ-HKG-BKK is going to be the route for me. Thanks for the input!

Cale
Dont let people scare you too much about pods and talking to your significant other. While its not ideal, its not impossible. Pick two seats in the middle and there is a little divider you can lower. When reclined slightly you can see each other and talk just fine. You won't be playing cards but you can have a conversation. It still beats sitting in Y

BTW, you could also consider a Amex card to get a bonus which would permit you to have enough points for J. Depending on how much you need. How short are you?
Old Sep 10, 13, 7:44 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

Just boarded AC870 (new HD plane)......would way rather have the pods, FYI.
Old Sep 10, 13, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I am sure you love your wife but comfort > conversation. She can talk your ear off for the entire vacation. Consider the flight some relaxation time
Old Sep 10, 13, 7:53 pm

OT Question: Whats the purpose of these high density 77W's anyway? Is this the future of AC long haul or just specific routes?
Old Sep 10, 13, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by donnyk View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorian

I am sure you love your wife but comfort > conversation. She can talk your ear off for the entire vacation. Consider the flight some relaxation time

I'm solo beside a YUL Concierge's husband.....
Old Sep 10, 13, 8:07 pm

OT Question: Whats the purpose of these high density 77W's anyway? Is this the future of AC long haul or just specific routes?
Only 5 coming.....will be oddballs.

Was a make good discounted purchase for late 787's.
Old Sep 10, 13, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Dont let people scare you too much about pods and talking to your significant other. While its not ideal, its not impossible. Pick two seats in the middle and there is a little divider you can lower. When reclined slightly you can see each other and talk just fine. You won't be playing cards but you can have a conversation. It still beats sitting in Y

BTW, you could also consider a Amex card to get a bonus which would permit you to have enough points for J. Depending on how much you need. How short are you?
Only about 20K...and I have both an Amex AP Platinum Card (which I'm about to cancel) as well as the regular Platinum card. We're taking friends to NYC next summer for their anniversary, so I want to save my points for that trip as well. Before I cancel the AP Platinum card, I'm going to use the 2-for-1 short-haul benefit so that my wife and I will only cost 15K points.

I haven't tried the new type of J seating, but I enjoyed the Pod format. Compared to United's business-class seat, it's still quite a bit better. I just noticed that EVA has a decent connection through TPE. Anyone ever flown their business-class seats?

Cale

Search this Thread