upgrade record from this SE

Old Sep 8, 13, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
upgrade record from this SE

First off I am a long standing SE. Whenever I have tried to upgrade with credits I have always been successful except for once from CDG to YUL about 2 yrs ago.

I might be a great critic of AC from time to time but I have found that the UG work pretty well for me.

However it is also totally dependent on how many useable credits you have as a SE or Elite. AC is giving us less and less each year which means there is no way you can up/g on all your flights. So you have to be srrategic in your use of the up/g unless you are paying much higher fares.

All in all SE is still the only category to be in with Air Canada. The recent downgrades are a major disincentive for frequent travelers. It is a real shame and I suspect they will realize this as so many loyal customers are vacating AC for other airlines such as AA, UAL, BA, etc
Old Sep 8, 13, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I haven't had any problems getting upgrades either. The only one I've missed in the past two years is YYZ-PHX. Since e-upgrades came out I've upgraded YVR-SYD roundtrip x 2 (and a non-status friend on YVR-SYD); I've upgraded YYZ-LHR x 3; BRU-YUL x 1; and at least 75 domestic flights (I'm a sugar baby to multiple SEs so I have a vast quantity of eupgrades to draw from).

So basically, no complaints at all.
Old Sep 8, 13, 7:08 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
I have also received every requested upgrade since becoming SE several years ago. Only once did my partner not get upgraded.
Old Sep 8, 13, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I haven't been so lucky, and usually I have to do quite a bit of planning to get my upgrade (changing flights, booking 7 days out, shifting using same-day change)... But generally it's been OK.
Old Sep 8, 13, 8:53 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM,Fairmont Plat, Ritz Platinum , Hertz Platinum, Quintessentially
I've used my eUpgrades on at least 95% of my flights. I too can only think of 1 time and that wasn't upgraded a CPH-YYZ earlier this year.
Old Sep 8, 13, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doing very well with u/gs,have 100+ e-credits and 2 nominee spots open.Mrs.acysb87 has one spot,mom the other
Other Family members will get those nominee spots if they travel.
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by acysb87 View Post
Doing very well with u/gs,have 100+ e-credits and 2 nominee spots open.Mrs.acysb87 has one spot,mom the other
Other Family members will get those nominee spots if they travel.
This thread is about your success upgrading, not your success accumulating e-upgrades looool. Given that you have so many upgrades left, am I right you mainly fly paid J?
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:50 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Dash 8s aside, I haven't seen a Y cabin since the e-up program started.

(Well once actually, YOW-YVR on a Friday evening.)

The only thing I can complain about is the enhancement of flight pass costs.
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
I was 100% for domestic upgrades until today... and got a reminder how crappy it is to sit in the back when the upgrade didn't clear at the gate.

international hasn't been that great - maybe 60-70%. South American destinations have been 0% so far and that may be skewing the total.
Old Sep 8, 13, 11:03 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
This thread is about your success upgrading, not your success accumulating e-upgrades looool. Given that you have so many upgrades left, am I right you mainly fly paid J?
I have around 150 left myself, and only travel economy. Reason for them? Went from AC*A to AC*E last year, and then gained AC*SE after October 1st.

All that stacking of the first year came in handy... don't expect it to happen for 2014
Old Sep 8, 13, 11:20 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by rumblefox View Post
I was 100% for domestic upgrades until today... and got a reminder how crappy it is to sit in the back when the upgrade didn't clear at the gate.
Exactly the same for me... 100% for 2013 flying YVR-YYZ and back, as a lowly E35K. However, for whatever reason J availability went from just fine (last checked on Friday) to virtually nothing across the board, every flight. AC115 was my ride home and was J2R0 on a 333, the next flight after it was J0R0 (a 767)! No hope for an upgrade for me unfortunately. I hate 2-4-2 on the 333, would much rather be 2-3-2 in the 767!

Mark
Old Sep 9, 13, 4:22 am

Programs: Air Canada SE
Hi all,
I was 100% TATL and TPAC until Saturday. I did not receive an upgrade on a flight from YYZ to LHR. The plane was completely full! Air Canada, I think, did well on this flight. I can't complain, however, as I was treated well in economy, had lots of leg room as I had booked an exit on the 777. The flight staff treated me well, too.
Old Sep 9, 13, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
32/32 on flex and latitude passes

upgrade at booking or at 7 day window. Once this year u/g at gate.

Will try the u/g at gate scenario in October when I travel with Mrs.acysb87 who is on same itinerary as me but AE ticket vs. my rev ticket
Old Sep 9, 13, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
100% on flights that are upgradeable (ie. non Dash 8!) and have been able to use a lot of my SO's 50K credits to boot so I still have 140 left which may help when we travel together.
Old Sep 9, 13, 8:25 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, dDiamond; NEXUS+GE
0 for 2 this year

FRA-YOW on a Sat in mid-June

LAX-YYZ on a Sat day flight in mid-July

105 e-up credits remain in the bank ...

Search this Thread