Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:21 am

Anyone know how fast referrals show up? I know it says 8-10 weeks, but I had a friend tell me it's almost instant, and it'll show up on your next statement as long as they got instant approval.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by KGnowies72
Anyone know how fast referrals show up? I know it says 8-10 weeks, but I had a friend tell me it's almost instant, and it'll show up on your next statement as long as they got instant approval.
For AMEX Aeroplan Gold referral, you will only see any miles (welcome or referral) on your monthly statement

e.g. if you refer someone today (12/20), he got approved today (12/20), you'll see 10K referral bonus on your NEXT monthly statement after 12/20, depending on your statement date. It could be say 12/27 or Jan 20

AMEX MR family card do see Referral bonus posted NEXT DAY after applicant's approval
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by KGnowies72
My experience has been good with referral bonus. It shows up on the next statement after your friend got approved. It is always on a seperat line in the stement.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
My experience has been good with referral bonus. It shows up on the next statement after your friend got approved. It is always on a seperat line in the stement.
What makes me nervous is some experiences posted here where the Amex rep thinks the referral bonus, is the actual bonus received on the statement by the cardholder.

How are we supposed to sort out whats the card bonus and the referral bonus, when the rep doesn't even know which bonus applies?

Hopefully, they sort out these bonus problems. I'm still in limbo with one card.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What makes me nervous is some experiences posted here where the Amex rep thinks the referral bonus, is the actual bonus received on the statement by the cardholder.

How are we supposed to sort out whats the card bonus and the referral bonus, when the rep doesn't even know which bonus applies?

Hopefully, they sort out these bonus problems. I'm still in limbo with one card.
In my statement it always says as:
Referral bonus xxxxxxx
So it is clear.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:59 am

Just thought I'd cross post my results from RFD.

So I ended up with 40k from this promotion. First statement generated around Oct 17; and I received 5k points. I complained via secure message that I was planning on booking travel and needed the points. (Accurate, and since booked!)

On my Nov 17 statement I received another 10k points. The first 15k in points also qualified as distinction points. Finally today, I received an additional 25k points as a 'welcome bonus' that didn't qualify as distinction. Lots of different results with this promotion, eh?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by shakezula
Just thought I'd cross post my results from RFD.

So I ended up with 40k from this promotion. First statement generated around Oct 17; and I received 5k points. I complained via secure message that I was planning on booking travel and needed the points. (Accurate, and since booked!)

On my Nov 17 statement I received another 10k points. The first 15k in points also qualified as distinction points. Finally today, I received an additional 25k points as a 'welcome bonus' that didn't qualify as distinction. Lots of different results with this promotion, eh?
You are very lucky. I never heard that anyone's welcome or referral bonus points qualified for distinction. This might be an error, but it is a good one.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:04 pm

Can confirm that friend who signed up and got 5k on first statement (after meeting spend), got the balance on her 3rd statement.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:10 am

Update: I referred my mom to Amex Gold - she spent over $500 in her first month and got the full 30,000 points on her first statement!!

Meanwhile, I also spent over $500 right away but I am still waiting on my 25,000 owed (got the first 5,000 in my first statement). I expect they will show up on my next statement - otherwise, i will have to call Amex again.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by kidsomething
Update: I referred my mom to Amex Gold - she spent over $500 in her first month and got the full 30,000 points on her first statement!!

Meanwhile, I also spent over $500 right away but I am still waiting on my 25,000 owed (got the first 5,000 in my first statement). I expect they will show up on my next statement - otherwise, i will have to call Amex again.
Did you get only one statement so far?

If you are in need of those miles, then make the call and explain the situation; otherwise, you can always call but if they tell you that you have to wait 6 to 8 weeks from the moment you spent the $500, then you'll just have to wait a little longer.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:31 pm

Hi Erik, it's been 15 weeks since I spent the $500... I have had 2 statements already (no bonus points awarded on the 2nd statement) - my 3rd statement did not generate bc I had no activity on the card (didn't know I needed activity to get a statement!) so now I am waiting for my 4th statement.

I called them when it had been 12 weeks since I had spent the $500 and they said they put in a request for head office to look into it - but I have heard nothing since.

I expect the points to arrive in a couple weeks with my 4th statement.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: Many
Hi Erik, it's been 15 weeks since I spent the $500... I have had 2 statements already (no bonus points awarded on the 2nd statement) - my 3rd statement did not generate bc I had no activity on the card (didn't know I needed activity to get a statement!) so now I am waiting for my 4th statement.

I called them when it had been 12 weeks since I had spent the $500 and they said they put in a request for head office to look into it - but I have heard nothing since.

I expect the points to arrive in a couple weeks with my 4th statement.
Wow! Fifteen weeks is rather long and unusual. I had a similar issue in the past with a different Amex card, but upon waiting 10 or 12 weeks and giving them a call to remind them I was supposed to get my miles (I had waited more than the 6 to 8 weeks I had been told, and I had waited to get my 3rd statement) I got the remaining miles deposited in my account the following day. I guess you should call... in 2014!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:08 pm

it's been 15 weeks since I spent the $500...
Definitely call if you don't get anything on your next statement!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:52 am

Just got my amex aeroplan gold card.

what do you mean by bad credit? Canadian Kilometers has a good blog about churning. you could apply for the amex gold card (see signature ). however if you have bad credit I would wait 3 months and ensure you do not carry a balance by paying your balance completely off every month that should improve your credit.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jeremyhalifax88
I just got my Amex aeroplan gold card and will make a $500 purchase next week so I should have 30,000 aeroplan points.
I applied for the Aeroplan member gold card also last week(around the same time I applied for my last aeroplan card) and hopefully it gets approved.

So what is the trick here to churn and make the most out of these cards?
Should I apply for more cards? (I have bad credit)

I also have the BMO World elite card.
My end goal is to travel from Halifax to Orlando return with my girlfriend for free
Welcome to your first post on FT!

Glad you found benefit on this promo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.