Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Tango Advanced Seat Selection!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Tango Advanced Seat Selection!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K / Marriott Silver Elite / SPG
Tango Advanced Seat Selection!

Hey everyone,

1). I am wondering if there is an more convenient way of picking my seats when I purchase a Domestic Tango flight.

I know I have to call in to pick my seats but was wondering if I could pick my seats online given I am an Altitude member.

2). As a follow-up question, I know if I book tickets with my family all on one itinerary, I am able to move everyone including myself towards the front of Y cabin by calling in.

BUT, can I move my family members when they purchased separate itineraries but to the exact same destination and same time? For expense purposes, having multiple passengers on the same itinerary could potentially be a red-flag.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyer4Ever
2). As a follow-up question, I know if I book tickets with my family all on one itinerary, I am able to move everyone including myself towards the front of Y cabin by calling in.

BUT, can I move my family members when they purchased separate itineraries but to the exact same destination and same time? For expense purposes, having multiple passengers on the same itinerary could potentially be a red-flag.
Not sure about the first question. I didn't think Tango allowed advanced seat selection.

However, for the second question, the answer is no. I've tried it, and been denied.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:43 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by more convenient. You book your ticket on aircanada.com, you pay for your seat selection, and you choose your seats. Alternatively, you book somewhere else and you call in to pay for seat selection. Your status only allows you to select preferred seats where complimentary seat selection is allowed (or after you've paid for it on Tango fares).

You'll be able to get the separate PNR's cross referenced and they'll seat you all together; I've done this numerous times on T+ bookings.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I assume with Tango fares, P25K is not eligible to pick seats in advance at no cost?

If not, which level of status do I need to achieve in order to pick Tango seats in advance for no cost?

Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:06 pm

I assume with Tango fares, P25K is not eligible to pick seats in advance at no cost?

If not, which level of status do I need to achieve in order to pick Tango seats in advance for no cost?

Thanks!
My understanding was that no status level could do it. However, with high enough status, if you have access to seat selection, you can pick preferred seats on Tango.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My understanding was that no status level could do it. However, with high enough status, if you have access to seat selection, you can pick preferred seats on Tango.
Yes, anyone can pick seats in advance, but there is a cost depending on distance.
I was wondering what status I need to pick my seats in advance at no cost with a domestic Tango fare.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:31 pm

Yes, anyone can pick seats in advance, but there is a cost depending on distance.
I was wondering what status I need to pick my seats in advance at no cost with a domestic Tango fare.
No published status level will allow seat selection on domestic Tango*. Maybe VIP allows for it but even that is doubtful.

Last edited by SensFan; Aug 21, 2013 at 7:51 pm Reason: * - see other posts below.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by SensFan
No published status level will allow seat selection on domestic Tango. Maybe VIP allows for it but even that is doubtful.
SE allows preferred seats for free on all fare classes

Preferred seat selection is complimentary:

when you travel on a Latitude fare;
for you and your travel companion(s) on the same booking if you are:
an Altitude Super Elite 100K customer travelling on any fare:
An Altitude Elite 75K customer travelling on a Flex fare;
An Altitude Elite 50K or Elite 35K customer or Star Alliance Gold member (with another airline) travelling on a Flex fare (front row bulkhead only).
I'm sure that SE's get seat selection on domestic Tango as well. I can't find it on the AC site but I know I've done it. If SE's are allowed to pre select preferred seats then it wouldn't make sense to not be able to pre select a non-preferred seat.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by 4havnfun
SE allows preferred seats for free on all fare classes

I'm sure that SE's get seat selection on domestic Tango as well. I can't find it on the AC site but I know I've done it. If SE's are allowed to pre select preferred seats then it wouldn't make sense to not be able to pre select a non-preferred seat.
See I read that as "once you are at the stage where you can select seats, S100K can select preferred seats on any fare". So if you pay for Tango seat selection, S100K can select preferred seats, but E75K cannot.

But as always, it's up to the interpretation of the agent
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I'm 99% that even SE100K don't get free seat selection on Tango.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
As an SE100K, I've been able to secure advance seat selection on a Tango ticket without paying the fee. I had to call in and walk the agent through the website page quoted earlier in this thread, but once he read it, he let me select the seat.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Access to preferred seats on Tango fares by SE's was new for 2013.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:02 pm

It was a major enhancement. I must say.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:24 pm

I still think you're reading that statement differently than it was intended.

It does NOT say S100K gets free seat selection on Tango.

It says they get free preferred seats on Tango.

"Seat selection" is a prerequisite of "preferred seats".

I think the reason some agents have done it is that it's worded poorly.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Bumping an old thread...

So if I buy a tango fare for a companion (no status) and myself (SE) on the same PNR can I select preferred seats for both of us? I understand we MIGHT have to pay the advanced selection fee.

Since I already have 75AQS this year i'm not seeing the value in buying flex. Travelling with a companion in Y preferred seats is more enjoyable than flying in J with a stranger anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.