Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Updates on Air Canada Altitude: AQM & eUpgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updates on Air Canada Altitude: AQM & eUpgrades

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by acysb87
SEs with Ecredits will be mobbed at airport
Actually, that's interesting. ALL members with status will be able to do this on North American flights, but only SEs on international.

I could totally see myself going up to a GA, asking how much space there is in J, and then shouting "Anyone want to sit in business class? I'll get you there for $200"

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Ah, the infamous co-pay. Twice.

Notwithstanding that Air Canada has often claimed, incorrectly, that they don't have a co-pay, they really did. The difference was that on other airlines you could request the upgrade and then only pay the co-pay when the upgrade cleared. With Air Canada you needed to pay the co-pay up front (in the form of much higher Tango+/Flex fares) and all you got was the risk of an upgrade.

Now you need to pay the non-refundable, up-front co-pay, regardless of whether or not you get an upgrade, and then pay another co-pay if the upgrade clears. Ta-da! The Double Co-Pay!
I hadn't thought of it that way. On United, you have to buy a higher fare to use a GPU, but I believe you can confirm those at time of booking a lot of the time. And it still isn't as much as Flex. Now, as you said, it's a double co-pay, and you pay one of them regardless of whether you get the upgrade.

Originally Posted by KenHamer
SE is certainly now worth a mileage run, or 17. For the price of about 10 Asia/Australia co-pays you could actually earn the 100K miles required for SE. I also see a lot of non-SE elites abandoning international upgrades altogether.
Or you could just fly United
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:13 pm

umm...what did I just read?
The flex prices to Asia are already ridiculous.
Buying flex + paying the upgrade add-on will be just a little shy of buying a Z fare...no?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Mozzarella
Wow

Just when you think that AC couldn't make it worse...
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Yer funny.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Wow, this is going to piss a lot of people off big time!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Indeed. Even though I earn 100k-150k status miles on AC metal each year, the MM benefits get "enhanced" faster than I can earn MM status, thereby eliminating any motivation to reach MM status. I´m quite sure that when I reach MM status, only lounge access and possibly upgrades from B fares will be left.
Don't forget the upcoming lounge co-pay.

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
How does the new accumulation schedule work with the minimum aeroplan miles for altitude members (500 miles)? If I fly YVR - YYC on Tango, will I get the minimum 500 AQM or will I just get 125 AQM?

Looks like Lounge access and baggage are only thing left to "enhance"

Lounge, maybe a new threshold level to get in a guest ?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The AQM changes are welcome and long overdue. The add-on program is the first step from effectively allowing free-upgrades only from premium economy.

Eliminating e-upgrade nominees is unfortunate. This was a great benefit that I used for my immediate family over the past couple years. They kept 2 for SE, but could have at least kept 1 for E50K and E75K. With add-ons, it's mostly only useful for NA routes anyway.

So in effect, it's easier now to get status, but you just can't do as much with it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Will this become the fast growing thread in FT/AC history?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
[erroneous post]

Last edited by Dorian; Aug 19, 2013 at 3:39 pm Reason: Lies.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:26 pm

I like changes to AQM, they needed to simplify and for any Executive fare it should be 150% ( I have a few coming so helpful to get to 100K this year )

The co-pay on non-NA flights, well since I mostly pay for it on those long flights rather then hope to upgrade really does not impact me. I might even do the co-pay since there should always be upgrade room now.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
Just dawned on me that this essentially kills Canada/Europe Latitude Flight Passes.

Only value is to SE's now.
? as far as upgrading ?

Latitude flights do not require co-pay, only Flex
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
Just dawned on me that this essentially kills Canada/Europe Latitude Flight Passes.

Only value is to SE's now.
Errr...why?

There is no co-pay on Latitude fares, so nothing changes there.

Programs: AC*E50k, AvisFirst, HHonors Diamond
I'm too shocked to even comment right now. That's a massive step change in benefits.

I used to go out of my way to fly AC via FRA for Poland, but now I'll just take the LOT flight.
Original Member

Not that anyone cares (except perhaps me) but this is how I feel about the changes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxajLWwzqY

My, how things have changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.