Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What is the furthest north AC station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club

...including puddle-jumpers? I'm thinking that all may not show on their map, and/or I may not be able to tell. Thanks much.

It's a bucket list thing.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:48 am

if you are talking AC or Jazz YZF would be the furthest north in Canada. Although you could use your aeroplan points to go farther North with Canadian North or Firstair.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you, Ace Cdn. You read my question fully. I wonder what are Firstair's and Canadian North's northernmost stations.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Firewind
Thank you, Ace Cdn. You read my question fully. I wonder what are Firstair's and Canadian North's northernmost stations.
Furthest north you can get on First Air is Resolute Bay (YRB), it's even jet service (Landing a 737-200 on gravel is fun!). From there, you could always hop the Ken Borek flight to Grise Fiord and reach the northern-most civilian settlement in the country.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:13 am

For Canada North - the furthest would be Pond Inlet - at the top of Baffin Island. I think you would have to fly out of Iqualit.

http://www.canadiannorth.com/interactive-route-map
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:15 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
I'm not sure about Pond Inlet -- its coordinates are listed as 72 N, whereas Resolute Bay is listed as 74 N. I see YRB-YCB as a scheduled service on First Air.

(Wikipedia also says Resolute Bay Airport "is the northernmost destination in Canada to receive scheduled passenger air service").
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:17 am

Canada North does not fly to Resolute Bay. I was responding to this question.

Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you. To somewhat diverge from my own question, while pondering Canada North's and Firstair's destinations, I was researching Yellowknife lodging. What is it with Yellowknife? I'm not seeing anything less than about $150, weeknight or weekend, including Super 8 and Day's Inn, even into November. ...'Though I do want to go while the sun's high. Thank you again.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE
Thank you. To somewhat diverge from my own question, while pondering Canada North's and Firstair's destinations, I was researching Yellowknife lodging. What is it with Yellowknife? I'm not seeing anything less than about $150, weeknight or weekend, including Super 8 and Day's Inn, even into November. ...'Though I do want to go while the sun's high. Thank you again.
It's the north. Everything's expensive. In Resolute, a can of coke will often cost you $3 to $5. You have to remember the logistics of getting everything up there; it's a long way from anywhere else. This becomes especially true up in the remote hamlets, where the sea-lift only comes in once a year. The rest of the year *everything* has to be flown in.

Oh, and 1000 Posts.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hjohnson
It's the north. Everything's expensive. In Resolute, a can of coke will often cost you $3 to $5. You have to remember the logistics of getting everything up there; it's a long way from anywhere else. This becomes especially true up in the remote hamlets, where the sea-lift only comes in once a year. The rest of the year *everything* has to be flown in.

Oh, and 1000 Posts.
First, thank you, hjohnson.

Second, hat tip w/r/t your milestone. ^

Third, makes perfect sense.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:58 am

Is this really only 25k r/t? Matrix shows a sample fare of $5k+ for MIA-YRB next summer, making this a 20cpm redemption if that's the case...

Cheers
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:49 pm

As Hjohnson said, cost of materials etc in the North. But also supply and demand, there are only a few hotels (I think about 8 last time I was there) in the area, there is limited supply and higher demand.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Is this really only 25k r/t? Matrix shows a sample fare of $5k+ for MIA-YRB next summer, making this a 20cpm redemption if that's the case...

Cheers
Yes, only 25k r/t. As you can see from your example, this is excellent value!
I was strictly collecting AP miles to redeem for intra-Canada flights.

I haven't booked any reward trips to the Far North, if you do a forum search, you will see that reward tickets seem hard to come by, you'd have to plan ahead quite a bit.
Again, I have never done it, just going by what other poster have said.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MP - 1K
If you want to get some stories about living in the North, I quite enjoy reading blogs of Southerners moving up there.

http://www.google.ca/#bav=on.2,or.&f...nunavut+blogs+
Old Aug 13, 2013, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you, tnkngn, mromalley and CrownRoyalForever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.