Canadian Bank VISA for Aeroplan?

Old Aug 10, 13, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Canadian Bank VISA for Aeroplan?

I've been in "search mode" here for almost half an hour but don't seem to see anything posted in the past 3-4 months that addresses my question so please forgive if I missed an obvious thread.
There is currently lots of buzz over CIBC probably dumping Aeroplan under pressure from that big TD bid.
I expect that TD will be offering something to get us to sign up.
But are there other Canadian banks that offer good Aeroplan perks? Most of my searches turn up "AMEX" cards of some kind but I really need a card from a Canadian bank. A VISA card. A card that will give me at least as many miles on my purchases as my present CIBC Aerogold Infinite card with (hopefully) a reasonable annual fee.

All pointers greatly appreciated.

CB
Old Aug 10, 13, 1:39 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Aeroplan has exclusive deals with 1 credit card and 1 charge card, being CIBC Visa and AMEX respectively.

CIBC Aventura MC can convert to Aeroplan 1-to-1 but that's likely to end as well.

AFAIK there is no other Canadian card that you can earn Aeroplan points directly at 1-to-1 or better.
Old Aug 10, 13, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
You can get an SPG Amex (credit card) which can convert 1:1 from Starpoints -> Aeroplan miles. If you convert 20,000 SPG will give a 5000 mile bonus, so the ratio is actually 1:1.25

Only issue is that it's an Amex, so you'll need a backup card.
Old Aug 10, 13, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post

CIBC Aventura MC can convert to Aeroplan 1-to-1 but that's likely to end as well.

AFAIK there is no other Canadian card that you can earn Aeroplan points directly at 1-to-1 or better.
CIBC's Aventura VISA also transfers to Aeroplan at 1:1.
Old Aug 10, 13, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC *G, A3 *G
Sobeys also has a card with a 1 AE point per 2 dollars spend if you choose the option.
Old Aug 10, 13, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thai1 View Post
Sobeys also has a card with a 1 AE point per 2 dollars spend if you choose the option.
Which IIRC has no fee
Old Aug 10, 13, 3:26 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq View Post
CIBC's Aventura VISA also transfers to Aeroplan at 1:1.
Will it too be going away if CIBC breaks with AE?

I like the car rental 'insurance' coverage on CIBC AE gold.

Would need the same elsewhere.
Old Aug 11, 13, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by thai1 View Post
Club Sobeys Points earned on the BMO Club Sobeys MasterCard, Chequing or Savings accounts are not eligible to be converted to Aeroplan Miles.
Old Aug 11, 13, 8:53 pm
alc

There are many CDN bank issued CC that can indirectly earn Aeroplan points. Indirectly as in by earning some others points that can eventually convert to Aeroplan. But the rate will not be the same as you get the AeroGold card directly. Aventura will be close to it, as it offer 1 to 1 ratio, but you will need to convert in increment of 10K.
Old Aug 12, 13, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Looks I asked my question just as the CIBC/TD issue reared its head so I guess I'll wait to see what shakes out. At the moment, AP says only CIBC and AMEX have AP Points cards and AMEX is no good to me in Cuba.

Thanks for responding.

CB

Search this Thread
Search Engine: