Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by gcashin
Yes, but there is also a rule against peripheral devices, which would cover off a wired mouse even if it doesn't receive or transmit. I'm speculating, but I'd expect the rule against peripheral devices is due to safety in the event of an evacuation (e.g. if you have laptops with a bunch of wired devices connected, it presents a potential hazard for tripping/tangling).
Are you sure?!?! Wouldn't the USB ports/in seat power be more of a trip hazard than a mouse?!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
lol I really don't mind paying $500 extra to fly from Canada, and I live in New York. Reasons why are a) more miles ; b) some of the hottest FAs I've had have been on AC, though it seems most SD's are now men (smfh); c) better chance of upgrading on AC; etc. The most important factor is #3.
I don't like long lines and I don't like unnecessary aggravation when I travel.
As I stated, the likelihood of a delay or cancellation on my routings is higher if I connect through the USA. I value my time, and I have better things to do than to waste 2 hours at LAX standing in line. I don't like the chaos at AC's US transfer hubs. Have you looked at some of the ridiculous connection times AC connections to United out of Chicago give? I don't want to have to run between terminals. The flights are almost always late arriving in Chicago, and that 50 minute - 90 minute transfer time, can shrink to 20 minutes. I have never missed a connection when using Canada on my long hauls. It works for me. If you enjoy the US airport experience, then knock yourself out. In any case, I'd rather AC's B777 seating configuration in business than the sardine can layout on United. How anyone tolerates the 4 abreast J cabin on United is for another thread.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I don't like long lines and I don't like unnecessary aggravation when I travel.
As I stated, the likelihood of a delay or cancellation on my routings is higher if I connect through the USA. I value my time, and I have better things to do than to waste 2 hours at LAX standing in line. I don't like the chaos at AC's US transfer hubs. Have you looked at some of the ridiculous connection times AC connections to United out of Chicago give? I don't want to have to run between terminals. The flights are almost always late arriving in Chicago, and that 50 minute - 90 minute transfer time, can shrink to 20 minutes. I have never missed a connection when using Canada on my long hauls. It works for me. If you enjoy the US airport experience, then knock yourself out. In any case, I'd rather AC's B777 seating configuration in business than the sardine can layout on United. How anyone tolerates the 4 abreast J cabin on United is for another thread.
Using US airports can, and often are, cheaper thanks to subsidies.
Since it's not my money financing said airports, I will happily use them.
I will NOT gain Canadian citizenship and not use the rights associated with it (which is why I bothered to get it in the first place, other than my parents demanding I get it.)
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The announcement always said you can't use anything that transmits or receives. I don't know why this even surprises you. If you don't like your touchpad, buy a wired mouse.
The rule is rubbish anyways, and I don't follow it unless directly instructed to by a FA, and I am still alive.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I don't know if it's the same still, but in 2011 I avoided the fuel surcharge by flying: LAX-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYC, which was more than $600 in savings, and easily offset the $200 positioning flight to LAX.
No longer the same - YQ now applies on US-originating flights. For a while after they "fixed" the YQ problem one could buy cheap Tango Plus tickets out of the US when Tango had been initiated to Asia, but they fixed that too.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
The flights are almost always late arriving in Chicago, and that 50 minute - 90 minute transfer time, can shrink to 20 minutes. I have never missed a connection when using Canada on my long hauls.
See, but that's a positive for some people because you can make the connecting flight but your suitcase won't. I've had two delayed baggage claims through ORD in the last couple years which to me = $1000 in insurance money for buying new clothing and then getting my suitcase back the following day, or the day after.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DistressedAssetInvestor
AC fares TPAC to PEK are now a often a tad cheaper than going to PVG, finally some adjustment to competition on that route... So I guess we need to see Shenzhen Air or China Eastern or China Southern put a direct route to Toronto and we might finally get more rational pricing on these legs.... But then again, I'm probably just being hopeful...
EVA now flies to YYZ so that should help
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aiminghigherYVR
I, for one, happen to prefer the male SD's. Especially the "girly" ones.

Rules schmules. My problem is that I have the misfortune of constantly being seated next to a large, smelly, farty, mind-in-the-gutter, male SE most times I fly J!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Maybe they don't like your "perfume" either.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:57 am
Suspended

I make no secret of my fondness for EVA, However, the introduction of Royal Laurel service on the YYZ-TPE route has been accompanied by fare increases, particularly in business class. The end result is that AC is competitive. I am off to Asia in a couple weeks. I purchased my Z class ticket on AC for approx. $1000 less than on EVA. I have to purchase a couple more RTs and the fare differential is the same, with AC offering a slightly better schedule. Yes, EVA offers a superior inflight experience, with its pre-order meals, much better sleeping pod, helpful ground staff, amazingly fast baggage service, superior wine list and higher quality FAs, but it is pricing itself out of the market for travelers like me. I could fly for even less if I wanted to subject myself to a transfer in a US hub. However, I refuse to fly via the USA whenever possible. I don't have a problem paying more because I know that a transfer through the USA increases the chances of a missed connection or flight delay and subjects me to the belligerent and rude US homeland and TSA security experience. No matter how awful YYZ is, it is always less awful than JFK/EWR/LAX/ORD. The $500 premium on average I pay to fly via Canada is worth it.
+1
the only thing to watch for on AC is change fees. they can kill you if you are on a trip that could require a change in plans.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:01 am
Suspended

old money or new money?
make believe money I would suggest
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AC-E50K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rainorshine
True. That too can be an issue. But it's interesting you assume I'd wear perfume and not cologne
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EVA now flies to YYZ so that should help
Actually, they have been for at least a couple of years. What is new is that they recently joined Star Alliance.

BTW miles posted promptly.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
On my flight yesterday they made an announcement asking the person who was using nail polish remover to kindly stop because the smell was disturbing other passengers.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aiminghigherYVR
True. That too can be an issue. But it's interesting you assume I'd wear perfume and not cologne
the word perfume was in italics and meant to be generic
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AC-E50K, SPG Gold
the word perfume was in italics and meant to be generic
I think you meant it was in quotes but, yes, you're right. And I'll shut up now that I've totally hijacked this thread. So, those AC transpacific flights in flex are crazy expensive eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.