Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Amelorn
On the other hand, easily gained wealth* (inheritance, usually) seldom discriminates based upon wisdom and intelligence.

This is contingent on income & assets. For some (and yes, they travel at need), the loss of a $20 shirt is a blow and an unnecessary expense.
Point A - bingo!
Point B - said shirt can easily be replaced by a $8 Polo shirt in BKK
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Notionally, you should be able to understand his point if you can afford $600 polo shirts.
I can completely understand his point: jealousy
On the other hand, easily gained wealth* (inheritance, usually) seldom discriminates based upon wisdom and intelligence.
I can agree to this. But this has nothing to do with this thread.
This is contingent on income & assets. For some (and yes, they travel at need), the loss of a $20 shirt is a blow and an unnecessary expense.
I agree with this too, although if I were willing to wear $20 shirts, I would look at it as a possible expense in case those careless TSA people decide to destroy my shirt. Hence my desire not to travel via the US if not necessary.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by rankourabu
said shirt can easily be replaced by a $8 Polo shirt in BKK
Yes. For you. But not for some people. I cannot stand anything polyester, not even some cotton.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Yes. For you. But not for some people. I cannot stand anything polyester, not even some cotton.
Jarusoba, you make me laugh. I haven't figured out if your elitist snobbery is a caricature or simply brilliant satire.

I'm sure you have many leather-bound books and your apartment smells of rich mahogany.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Jarusoba, you make me laugh. I haven't figured out if your elitist snobbery is a caricature or simply brilliant satire.

I'm sure you have many leather-bound books and your apartment smells of rich mahogany.
One would hope it's the latter, but going by post history its the former, as evidenced by the "I am higher social class than yall" and "jealousy" comments in the past.

Back on topic, slowly people are waking up, I worked with a few small/medium businesses this spring to educate them on AC Tango and scamcharges, and in most cases people have ditched AC and never looked back.
Only ones that seem stuck are the poor saps who fly lots of domestics.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
$600 shirts :|

My most expensive shirt is probably on the order of $20. Half of them were free
And they're all awesome
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow
$600 shirts :|

My most expensive shirt is probably on the order of $20. Half of them were free
And they're all awesome
I don't get why anyone cares about this. I have $5 shirts and I have $800 shirts. $800 suits and $5000 suits. Two trips ago I bought $1 socks and underwear (Rwanda with no luggage).
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I make no secret of my fondness for EVA, However, the introduction of Royal Laurel service on the YYZ-TPE route has been accompanied by fare increases, particularly in business class. The end result is that AC is competitive. I am off to Asia in a couple weeks. I purchased my Z class ticket on AC for approx. $1000 less than on EVA. I have to purchase a couple more RTs and the fare differential is the same, with AC offering a slightly better schedule. Yes, EVA offers a superior inflight experience, with its pre-order meals, much better sleeping pod, helpful ground staff, amazingly fast baggage service, superior wine list and higher quality FAs, but it is pricing itself out of the market for travelers like me. I could fly for even less if I wanted to subject myself to a transfer in a US hub. However, I refuse to fly via the USA whenever possible. I don't have a problem paying more because I know that a transfer through the USA increases the chances of a missed connection or flight delay and subjects me to the belligerent and rude US homeland and TSA security experience. No matter how awful YYZ is, it is always less awful than JFK/EWR/LAX/ORD. The $500 premium on average I pay to fly via Canada is worth it.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I don't have a problem paying more because I know that a transfer through the USA increases the chances of a missed connection or flight delay and subjects me to the belligerent and rude US homeland and TSA security experience.

The $500 premium on average I pay to fly via Canada is worth it.
I don't know folks. I'm seeing folks say "Oh, I don't mind paying extra!"

They get broken down into two groups:

a) Those who aren't paying for their own tickets, or
b) Those who have frail, delicate egos and want to avoid being offended.

For $500, I'm sure I can find someone to come to your house and act polite to you. Especially Jarusoba... I'm sure his mansion is opulent, the doorknob is pure gold, and the toilet is hewn from virgin marble.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I don't know folks. I'm seeing folks say "Oh, I don't mind paying extra!"

They get broken down into two groups:

a) Those who aren't paying for their own tickets, or
b) Those who have frail, delicate egos and want to avoid being offended.

For $500, I'm sure I can find someone to come to your house and act polite to you. Especially Jarusoba... I'm sure his mansion is opulent, the doorknob is pure gold, and the toilet is hewn from virgin marble.
lol I really don't mind paying $500 extra to fly from Canada, and I live in New York. Reasons why are a) more miles ; b) some of the hottest FAs I've had have been on AC, though it seems most SD's are now men (smfh); c) better chance of upgrading on AC; etc. The most important factor is #3.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Wait never mind, I just realized, most AC flights are cheaper if you start in the US than from Canada. So I'm just paying a bit more than UA - but for Trans Atlantic AC is usually the cheapest, though in Tango, Flex is slightly more. That is all.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Wait never mind, I just realized, most AC flights are cheaper if you start in the US than from Canada. So I'm just paying a bit more than UA - but for Trans Atlantic AC is usually the cheapest, though in Tango, Flex is slightly more. That is all.
I was looking at some flights to Europe a few months ago, and AC Flex was consistently the cheapest from SFO.

Works well for me
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was looking at some flights to Europe a few months ago, and AC Flex was consistently the cheapest from SFO.

Works well for me
I don't know if it's the same still, but in 2011 I avoided the fuel surcharge by flying: LAX-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYC, which was more than $600 in savings, and easily offset the $200 positioning flight to LAX.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I don't know if it's the same still, but in 2011 I avoided the fuel surcharge by flying: LAX-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYC, which was more than $600 in savings, and easily offset the $200 positioning flight to LAX.
That might just be an LAX thing.

For Earn Your Wings, I was able to cut about $70 off my itinerary by leaving from LAX instead of SFO, and I got a couple extra badges. The positioning flight was $60.

So definitely not as good as your example, but I think you were able to combine both "US is cheap" and "LAX is cheap".

That being said, the next time I need to go somewhere, I'll definitely check LAX
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:32 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
l I'm sure his mansion is opulent, the doorknob is pure gold, and the toilet is hewn from virgin marble.
While a bit OT, the discussion/satire of wealth did remind me of a friend who one had his housemate convinced that at his home they only had diamond toilets. Evidence by when he clarified "actually only diamond-studded" and the reaction was relief, because said housemate had kept trying to picture a solid diamond toilet and it was bothering him so much that the idea of diamond-studded was so much more believable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.