Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Please explain to me the difference between going YOW-YYZ-Asia vs YOW-EWR-Asia if one has global entry.
it's fun to chip in

- price should be the big difference
- Even with Global Entry, one is still subject to secondary inspection, so need to arrive earlier at YOW
- on return, one has to pick up luggage at EWR and re-drop it
- possibly have to overnight in ORD/EWR on return? if ex-Asia flights land very late in USA, and EWR hotels suck
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Couldn't you just get a TSA approved lock? Then you can lock your bag. Sure the TSA might break that too, but at least you make them work for your stuff (as opposed to just having an unlocked bag).
Of course I know about TSA locks. Most of my Rimowa suitcases have them. And I put acrylic into the TSA lock hole to block them off. I don't want any one to open them if they have access to a TSA key or have a 3D printer-made TSA key duplicate while I travel outside of the US. If anyone wants to steal stuff, they can break the lock then it would become a criminal offense and insurance would kick in. If someone breaks into my suitcase via the TSA lock and without any signs of forced invasion, it would be harder to argue that it was a theft rather than mysterious disappearance.

Oh, I forgot. It's not just theft.

It's when those careless idiots close my suitcase after the inspection, without my presence. They couldn't care less about re-packing carefully. So my $600 polo shirt could be stuck outside of the suitcase when it's closed. Or my carefully positioned bottle of wine could be stuffed back to the suitcase without the due protection and got broken during transit.

Even customs would open my stuff to inspect in my presence and let me repack them the way I want them packed.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Please explain to me the difference between going YOW-YYZ-Asia vs YOW-EWR-Asia if one has global entry.
Uh... if you go via YYZ, you don't clear US customs/immigration.

If you go via EWR, you do. Even with GE, it's more of a hassle, and you can get sent to secondary.

That being said, I would totally do it through EWR if it were cheaper, but you can't say there's no difference
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE
hold on there are $600 polo shirts?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Seriously?

Baring the really obvious differences I wouldn't want to be subject to NYC airspace with a connection....plus they all NYC airports are crap compared to YYZ.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
Seriously?

Baring the really obvious differences I wouldn't want to be subject to NYC airspace with a connection....plus they all NYC airports are crap compared to YYZ.
At least for CX the BA lounge in T7 >>> KL lounge in YYZ (only been to PP lounge in the domestic section)
Also, that's another reason why ORD is better.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
only if put in a $1000 suitcase. the poster has a history of claiming to be in a "higher social class" than everyone here

Dorian, good point about NYC airspace and delays.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by jarusoba
So my $600 polo shirt could be stuck outside of the suitcase when it's closed.

"Yeah, the guy wearing the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. COME ON! " -G.O.B
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by 300rwhp
What's wrong? Is it criminal to have these in the suitcase?

only if put in a $1000 suitcase. the poster has a history of claiming to be in a "higher social class" than everyone here
Please substitute the word everyone with myself.

Please do not digress. We were discussing about why going through the US is not a good idea for some people, like myself. Not much to do with the value of the garments. My argument would hold whether the polo shirts were $600 or $800. Although it might not hold if they were $20 because losing a $20 shirt doesn't matter as much as losing a $600 shirt. But I don't own any garment that is worth that little.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
old money or new money?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold

I flew YUL-TPE with BR this week. Outbound via YYZ, return via JFK (BR does not fly to YYZ on Wednesdays). The verdict? Avoid the US. That simple, even if you have GE. JFK is chaos since the moment you step out of the plane: no signs to immigration anywhere, immigration hall too crowded and not big enough to handle big crowds, security control is painful in comparison with other Canadian or Asian airports and the icing in the cake, we waited 45 minutes or so in the tarmac before being able to take off.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
"Yeah, the guy wearing the $4,000 suit is holding the elevator for the guy who doesn't make that in four months. COME ON! " -G.O.B
Hah! A friend at work made a reference to that today, so it was fresh on my mind, and when I read that post, I thought the exact same thing
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

Please substitute the word everyone with myself.

Please do not digress. We were discussing about why going through the US is not a good idea for some people, like myself. Not much to do with the value of the garments. My argument would hold whether the polo shirts were $600 or $800. Although it might not hold if they were $20 because losing a $20 shirt doesn't matter as much as losing a $600 shirt. But I don't own any garment that is worth that little.
I do.
I own several shirts that were bought for <$5 a piece (NOT at value village but overseas. That being said, I do occasionally have to wear a suit for work, but that is typically in a carry on.)
BTW, I shipped a TV from the US by air and it was not damaged.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uni3052
I flew YUL-TPE with BR this week. Outbound via YYZ, return via JFK (BR does not fly to YYZ on Wednesdays). The verdict? Avoid the US. That simple, even if you have GE. JFK is chaos since the moment you step out of the plane: no signs to immigration anywhere, immigration hall too crowded and not big enough to handle big crowds, security control is painful in comparison with other Canadian or Asian airports and the icing in the cake, we waited 45 minutes or so in the tarmac before being able to take off.
In T7 it is fairly simple to find it.
(Then again, this is with CX/BA flights...)
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Notionally, you should be able to understand his point if you can afford $600 polo shirts.

On the other hand, easily gained wealth* (inheritance, usually) seldom discriminates based upon wisdom and intelligence.

This is contingent on income & assets. For some (and yes, they travel at need), the loss of a $20 shirt is a blow and an unnecessary expense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.