Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Respectfully,
What followed wasn't very respectful.

rainorshine is exactly correct.

This forum (and others discussing somewhat-captive markets like Australia and New Zealand) is filled with complaints how the once-flag-and-now-just-dominant carriers have exploitative pricing. Somehow a subset of travelers think it is their right to be offered below-market fares on the once-flag carrier. They rarely defend why they think this.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:35 pm

Oh look: an example of the above from today.
YYZ to HNL fares
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Respectfully, you two - when I read self-serving claptrap like that, I instantly say to myself "Well, isn't that nice... a conversation between two people who don't pay for their own airfare, complimenting each other on finding 'value.'"

Riiiiiiight.......
Respectfully,

You know nothing.

Dorian
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
If you have a passport that requires a visa to enter the US, or you are a visible minority that the US likes to target, then, yes, I can see why the US might not be pleasant. (and even for the second point, I am one and haven't had any problems. ESTA passport might be a problem if you stay in both Canada and US for more than 90 days consecutively, combined, but that doesn't apply to me either.)
Otherwise, I don't see what the big problem is.
Even without US connections, there are JL/BR/CX/CA (though the last one is hardly better than a connection in the US if final destination isn't China.)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
Respectfully,

You know nothing.

Dorian

(Anyone around here for 10+ years would understand the humour)
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: QF
I started to opt for CA between YVR-PEK as I think their J product is decent & great value, but I ended up flying AC last month due to timing (the new redeye). Don't get me wrong, I love the relic 763's on AC, but man, after flying new 330's and 380's for the past couple years, I was reminded how loud the cabins are on AC - during take-off I swear the FA was pushing a lawn mower down the aisle!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Oh look: an example of the above from today.
YYZ to HNL fares
You're funny. I do not think it is 'my right' to be offered below market prices. I probably pay more 'market prices' than 99% of flyers due to the nature of my business. When I see the kind of complete lack of market knowledge that goes on sometimes on the AC website though, it stuns me. Yesterday YYZ to HNL was $1900 outbound with no flex. Today it is $1200 with flex offered. Below market my A**. I got a great fare on United for Biz, if the overall fare on AC had been in the $2K area, I never would have ventured over to United, and never would got the great deal. There is this thing called the internet my friend, and any airline, 'flag carrier' or not should be aware of it. There are no captive markets any more. I am a case in point. Hope this is reason enough for you, it is for me.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jjclancy
What followed wasn't very respectful.

rainorshine is exactly correct.

This forum (and others discussing somewhat-captive markets like Australia and New Zealand) is filled with complaints how the once-flag-and-now-just-dominant carriers have exploitative pricing. Somehow a subset of travelers think it is their right to be offered below-market fares on the once-flag carrier. They rarely defend why they think this.
OK, in that case why is AC still selling <900 TPAC K/A fares xYVR?
They are still losing money on those fares... (though I didn't buy them as they only credit 50%, I'm sure others have.)
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Please explain to me the difference between going YOW-YYZ-Asia vs YOW-EWR-Asia if one has global entry.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by rainorshine
Dorian, you make absolute sense but some people get the feeling AC is aways out to hammer them on fares and they get emotional about it instead of strategically looking at options like you do.
I'm not sure if this is a response to my posts, but just in case, there's no emotion about fares in my decision. I just enjoy flying with NH/OZ/SQ more than with AC.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Please explain to me the difference between going YOW-YYZ-Asia vs YOW-EWR-Asia if one has global entry.
HUGE! (to me that is)

Going via Canada, one can lock the bags. Going via the US, the bags cannot be locked and are subject to search and theft by the TSA thugs without one's presence. That can even pick and choose and open the ones with items they want to steal.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't ORD be a more suitable connection point?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jarusoba
HUGE! (to me that is)

Going via Canada, one can lock the bags. Going via the US, the bags cannot be locked and are subject to search and theft by the TSA thugs without one's presence. That can even pick and choose and open the ones with items they want to steal.
Right. Baggage handlers in Canada and other countries would never break locks and steal valuables from luggage
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Right. Baggage handlers in Canada and other countries would never break locks and steal valuables from luggage
At least it would be way easier to steal in the US when the bags are not locked.@:-)
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Wouldn't ORD be a more suitable connection point?
Why's that? EWR/JFK work too.

Originally Posted by jarusoba
At least it would be way easier to steal in the US when the bags are not locked.@:-)
Couldn't you just get a TSA approved lock? Then you can lock your bag. Sure the TSA might break that too, but at least you make them work for your stuff (as opposed to just having an unlocked bag).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.