Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Boarding Anytime or No?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: down to Zone 5
Priority Boarding Anytime or No?

Had a tight connection YVR->YYC->YQR this past Monday evening. Spent about 5-10 min in MLL at YYC then went to A03 to board. When I asked the GA she said they've already done Priority Boarding & made me go to the end of line behind 15-20 people.

I thought we can board anytime. No?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Never had that issue, have always just walked to the priority lane and been boarded right away, even if general boarding was underway.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
bolding mine

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../boarding.html

Priority Boarding is offered on all flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada Express and allows eligible customers to board the aircraft first. On flights operated by aircraft with more than 50 seats, Priority Boarding also offers you a dedicated boarding lane which allows you the luxury of boarding at any time, even once general boarding has already begun. Learn the true meaning of 'board at your leisure'!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. Plane was a DH4 Q400 with 74 seats. But for those familiar with the sucky A01-A08 domestic gates downstairs at YYC, there's no separate priority boarding lane & usually just 1 GA processing the boarding passes.

I didn't want to make a scene so I just walked behind the lineup. Could I have insisted to be boarded first if there's just 1 lane?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have a similar issue with SEA (which has United GAs).

They call priority boarding, a few people line up, but then EVERYONE lines up. In one line. There's no "priority lane".

Then after processing maybe 10 people, they call general boarding.

So at what point can I step in and say "let me on"?

Not that I really want to board early on a DH3, but it's the principle of the matter.

I'd suggest filling out the standard form, if only so AC knows about it. I did something similar for a priority check-in issue at SFO, and they acknowledged the issue and gave me a 10% code. And hopefully that will help fix the problem in the future.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow

They call priority boarding, a few people line up, but then EVERYONE lines up. In one line. There's no "priority lane".

Not that I really want to board early on a DH3, but it's the principle of the matter.

I'd suggest filling out the standard form, if only so AC knows about it. I did something similar for a priority check-in issue at SFO, and they acknowledged the issue and gave me a 10% code. And hopefully that will help fix the problem in the future.
So what is the proper protocol when trying to "board at your leisure" when the GA does general boarding in the priority boarding lane?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Go around and right to the front. If there's a priority lane, there's definitely no reason not to expect to go to the front.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

You don't, it's a Dash 8. Unless you want to look like a DYKWIA FF.

What principle? By AC's own rules, dedicated boarding lane is only available on aircraft > 50 seats.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by hydrogen
So what is the proper protocol when trying to "board at your leisure" when the GA does general boarding in the priority boarding lane?
If flying C class I go to the front of the line and show my boarding pass. Haven't been sent back yet.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
You don't, it's a Dash 8. Unless you want to look like a DYKWIA FF.

What principle? By AC's own rules, dedicated boarding lane is only available on aircraft > 50 seats.
Sorry, my point was that there really was no priority boarding. Within 5 seconds of them calling priority boarding (on two flights), EVERYONE was in line (most were in line before boarding was announced).

So if I'm actually entitled to priority boarding (I am), how do I go about using it?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

That was kinda my point too. My flight has >50 seats and my backpack & hand carry clearly spot the Altitude E75K luggage tags (until I get the E100K next month). Why wouldn't she process me next since I was talking to her already?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Silv, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,
I tend to hang in the YYC lounge and walk down to the gate as late as possible, it may make the gate angents grumpy but this is one of the reasons. They have 5 counters but 2 staff doing all the flights.

If they want me down their early, they need to: 1) board on time 2) really do priority boarding

as 1) is impossible for AC and 2) wont work with their setup I enjoy my coffee or beer in the MLL and come down and be the last guy on the plane.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I posted about this before - but I recall boarding a UA flight once, and a family of six (3 kidlets + grandma) were boarding as I strutted up to the priority line. The two parents had "gone through", but the gate agent held up her hand bruskly to stop the granny and three children and waved me over as though I were royalty. I thought that was incredibly rude of the gate agent and so I feel self conscious about late priority boarding with UA, just because the gate agents do it in such a brusk (for lack of the better word) fashion.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
You're not alone...

You're entitled to board whenever.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-boarding.html

You should write in.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dark169
I tend to hang in the YYC lounge and walk down to the gate as late as possible, it may make the gate angents grumpy but this is one of the reasons. They have 5 counters but 2 staff doing all the flights.

If they want me down their early, they need to: 1) board on time 2) really do priority boarding

as 1) is impossible for AC and 2) wont work with their setup I enjoy my coffee or beer in the MLL and come down and be the last guy on the plane.
That's the way to go

But with a 20" roller and a backpack for laptop & iPad and no skycheck, I always have to fight for overhead bin space unless I board reasonably early before the crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.