Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Least *paid* airfare YVR-YHZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Least *paid* airfare YVR-YHZ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
Least *paid* airfare YVR-YHZ?

Afternoon FTers...

I'm doing a little research for an upcoming project, and would be grateful for your input, if you would be willing to answer:

Within the last three years, what is the least you (or your company) have / has paid to fly YVR-YHZ?

As we are all well aware, in 1858 the cost was £5 and included a five-course meal for you and a packet of Cheetos for your valet; which is why I'm looking for data points no older than 2011. . Certainly, the more recent the info, the better!

Thanks in advance for any help! Sincerely yours,

Your friendly neighbourhood OfficeAdmin13B
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Unsure how many of us fly that route....
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
Originally Posted by Dorian
Unsure how many of us fly that route....
Understood; but I thought I'd try asking anyway!

TOA13B
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you just check what it costs right now and in the near future?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Maybe I'm missing something, but why don't you just check what it costs right now and in the near future?
Probably because OP wants to know the absolute cheapest fare, which can change depending on day, season, whether or not there is a seat sale, etc. Just because it's $X today doesn't mean that it's an all time low.

For example, based on my experience flying YUL-YWG or YWG-YUL, I can say that the absolute lowest fare for that route is $159 (booking class A). Slap on a $65 surcharge if you want Flex. Then throw on all the taxes.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:55 pm

August 2011 I flew YVR-YHZ on AC for $748 all in. June 2013 I flew YYJ-YHZ for $740 all in, but on WS. My company has a $750 cap on flights, anything above needs CFO approval and I struggle to find flights to Halifax for less than $750, but it is occasionally possible.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Probably because OP wants to know the absolute cheapest fare, which can change depending on day, season, whether or not there is a seat sale, etc. Just because it's $X today doesn't mean that it's an all time low.
^

Hope to be able to assert something along the lines of:

"$X is a fair and reasonable amount to pay for a flight YVR-YHZ, given that I understand truly low fares on this route in the recent past have not been less than $Y or $Z".

TOA13B
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, workerparasite!

TOA13B
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:32 pm

You don't need our help.

Look for fares now.
You can then accurately assert something along the lines of:
"$600 roundtrip is possible booking a month in advance, with flights midweek or on Saturdays, on Westjet"
through to
"No advance purchase on either WS/AC costs $600 each way"
depending on what your real requirements are, which you haven't disclosed to us.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy
...depending on what your real requirements are, which you haven't disclosed to us.
You make it sound like I have mysterious plots afoot! Not at all. My real requirements as you say are / is information along the lines of what workerparasite kindly offered by way of his / her experience.

Naturally, I wouldn't expect any disclosure of confidential, "unique to your company / field / profession" contract arrangements with AC, if that's what you're concerned about.

Best,
TOA13B
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheOfficeAdmin13B
You make it sound like I have mysterious plots afoot! Not at all. My real requirements as you say are / is information along the lines of what workerparasite kindly offered by way of his / her experience.

Naturally, I wouldn't expect any disclosure of confidential, "unique to your company / field / profession" contract arrangements with AC, if that's what you're concerned about.

Best,
TOA13B
I think he was getting at something more along the lines of whether you're going to be booking flights 6 months in advance with flexible dates and durations, or if you'll have very last minute requirements for travel, etc.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:57 pm

The current seat sale has roundtrips in Tango for just under $600.
In the scheme of things, not much more than an aeroplan ticket.
I haven't seen it much lower than that.
I recall flying to YQM for about $550 but that was almost 10 years ago. Shortly after WestJet started flying there.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Has anyone flown YVR-YYT?

I've always wanted to visit Newfoundland but just couldn't afford the air fare! Am saving up to use an award (not Aeroplan though).
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I had a $696.55 all-in tango-plus but that was in 2008.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:45 am

Last May I booked YHZ-YYZ-YVR one-way $428 booking class T. (Had taken the train there.)

And although I see where you're going with this - even if you looked now, fares are horribly fickle, today could be one price, Tuesday and Wednesday something else - so it's just data for the big picture if you can get some historical data. Problem is, there isn't much correlation between a handful of fares that we throw out there and what could actually be charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.