Security madness at YYJ

Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC A50K
Security madness at YYJ

Flying AC 8558 Friday evening YYJ-YYC. Brought my cat as carry-on baggage. I was gong through security in Victoria, and had to remove the cat from the carrier (so the carrier could be X-rayed). I had to go through the metal detector while carrying the cat. At that point, the security guy informed me that I had been "randomly" selected for additional screening.

Random? Really? The guy with the cat? Have they been watching too many bad movies at CATSA? (the ones with the evil scientist carrying a cat, a couple James Bond villains or Dr Evil come to mind)

At least cat got priority boarding.

Last edited by km101; Jul 14, 2013 at 10:24 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:34 pm

What would you prefer or expect in future instances?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the cat was randomly selected?
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:26 pm

I have a Nexus card, travel a fair amount, but I get "random" screened 2-3 times a year

Get over it, normal, mind you I would screen cat owners every time, not a fan of cats on planes
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I get random screened >50%. Bad luck? I think not!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Randomly selected by CATSA < 15%

Randomly selected by TSA > 50%

I look like a suspicious guy, shifty eyes, two legs, two arms, black hair including some under my nose! I am low to the ground or ya I look "non white" ya I think that is it!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:42 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
A guy with a cat at the security checkpoint, awww how cute...

Incidentally you didn't happen to fly SCL-YYZ recently, did ya?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
<<< insert cat scan joke here >>>
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by payam81

looooooooooooooooooooooooool @ cat on a leash!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC A50K
no

Originally Posted by payam81

No, only YYJ-YYC. Im not a crazy cat guy who takes animals on vacation. We are moving, and in order to relocate the cat, either me or wife had to bring him, one way only. No leash was involved. I have no problem with security, I understand the need for vigilance, Just thought that they couldn't pick a worse time or less likely candidate for a secondary.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:09 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I'm also a less likely candidate. But guess what....... We don't decide
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by km101
I have no problem with security, I understand the need for vigilance, Just thought that they couldn't pick a worse time or less likely candidate for a secondary.
I fly every single week thru YYJ. Does that make me a less likely candidate?

At least it's now the WTMD that decides who is selected for secondary. I was selected for secondary once at YYZ because "I had lots of time to catch my flight".
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:28 am

[QUOTE=Jebby_ca;21099992At least it's now the WTMD that decides who is selected for secondary. I was selected for secondary once at YYZ because "I had lots of time to catch my flight".[/QUOTE]

Can the CATSA people change the frequency that the WTMD selects people for secondary? I feel like it picks 100% of people in certain lanes, especially those lanes right in front of the body scanner.

With two lanes open at a non-peak hour, that's a 50% chance of winning the body scan lottery.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by xLuther
I have a Nexus card, travel a fair amount, but I get "random" screened 2-3 times a year

Get over it, normal, mind you I would screen cat owners every time, not a fan of cats on planes
In the US, having a NEXUS card gets you TSAPreCheck and you seldom if ever have to even go through the regular lanes, let alone get a secondary check. No shoe or belt removal, keep the baggies and computers in your bag...it's time for CATSA to adopt the same procedure to NEXUS cardholders instead of just a fast track to the front of the lane queues.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by km101
No, only YYJ-YYC. Im not a crazy cat guy who takes animals on vacation. We are moving, and in order to relocate the cat, either me or wife had to bring him, one way only. No leash was involved. I have no problem with security, I understand the need for vigilance, Just thought that they couldn't pick a worse time or less likely candidate for a secondary.
Well, how dod you figure the guy with the cat on a leash wasn't moving just like you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.