Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dragon Relations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Dragon Relations

5:00am YEG MLL, gentleman walked in, addressed the dragon by first name, exchanged pleasantries like old friends. Addressed the clean-up lady by first name during coffee, then proceeded to ask about her family and how her (son or daughter) is doing in school - obviously a continuation of an earlier conversation. Those exchanges were not lengthy but brought smiles to both ladies. If not for the luggages, I would have guessed he was an AC employee.

I can't imagine how often you have to visit the MLL to know the dragons on sight. Half the time I was there, I was in such a rush that I didn't even notice if the dragon was male or female. I imagine if we all treat the dragons like this gentleman, they "may" just be nicer to us.

Just curious, is that gentleman the exception or do most FTers try to be friendly with the dragons/concierges.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Qster
5:00am YEG MLL, gentleman walked in, addressed the dragon by first name, exchanged pleasantries like old friends. Addressed the clean-up lady by first name during coffee, then proceeded to ask about her family and how her (son or daughter) is doing in school - obviously a continuation of an earlier conversation. Those exchanges were not lengthy but brought smiles to both ladies. If not for the luggages, I would have guessed he was an AC employee.

I can't imagine how often you have to visit the MLL to know the dragons on sight. Half the time I was there, I was in such a rush that I didn't even notice if the dragon was male or female. I imagine if we all treat the dragons like this gentleman, they "may" just be nicer to us.

Just curious, is that gentleman the exception or do most FTers try to be friendly with the dragons/concierges.
I try to be friendly, but that's above and beyond what I call "friendly"
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:19 am

I'm polite and friendly, but I don't get personal with them.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AC*SE, BA, UA, Hilton Diamond

You may want to reconsider the word "dragon", just because it seems to be a popular description on FT doesn't make it right.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AC A50K
Obviously the guy is a regular commuter who is friendly with the staff at the lounge. May be a little extreme, hwever being friendly to people is a good thing.

You might be an important business person, or be having a bad day, but there is no reason to be anything but polite when talking to people (such as at the lounge or the FA in the air) you encounter during your day.

All retail/customer service jobs suck. The pay is generally low (lower than an engineer/nurse/teacher/etc), and they have to deal with the general public. A simple hello, please, thank you will brighten thier day, and maybe even brighten yours.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR-er
You may want to reconsider the word "dragon", just because it seems to be a popular description on FT doesn't make it right.
Oh come on. This is political correctness taken way too far.

Plus, we really need to act as dragons. Keep the cheaters and other non status folks out.

Plus, dragons are *good* don't you know? Wasn't you son born in the year of the dragon?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
At my YEG MLL the dragon moniker rarely applies.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I´d say there aren´t many FFs who are as talkative as the guy you saw (and I´ve never come across a FF who talked to the cleaning staff), but yes, I do make an effort to be friendly/polite, ask how their day is going - essentially some friendly small talk without holding up the process.

Only at a few airports I visit regularly I´ve got to know the lounge agents and the concierges a little better, they recognize me and it´s always nice being greeted by name before handing over my BP.

I also make an effort to drop off a box of chocolates during the holidays or when they´ve provided excellent service during irrops which seems to be appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Agreed, just like everywhere else, there are nice people, grumpy people and everyone in between. Although I am not a frequent lounge user - I have on rare occasions encountered a less than polite lounge agent. They have always been professional - which is all I expect and some have been down right country style pleasant.

Originally Posted by km101
Obviously the guy is a regular commuter who is friendly with the staff at the lounge. May be a little extreme, hwever being friendly to people is a good thing.
I suspect this is the case, I know many of the gate agents that work my regular flight times and several CATSA personnel know me well enough to greet me by name in the morning as I'm getting ready to pass through the metal detector and the people at night are able to tell what kind of day (in some cases) I had by the way I look, what I am or am not carrying and by the time I am at the airport.

Nothing wrong with being friendly with those you see and interact with on a daily basis, it makes everyone's day more pleasant and go by faster.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:54 pm

Hear Hear
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Oh come on. This is political correctness taken way too far.
BS
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:24 pm

Programs: AP*SE SPG-PLAT
The dragons at YYZ TB are quite familiar with my schedule, if one week I dont get a chance to stop by they will tell me the next week that they missed me.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
At my YEG MLL the dragon moniker rarely applies.
I do apologize for my choice of the word "dragon" in my original post. I am relatively new to the forum. At the YEG MLL (my home MLL), all of the staffs have always been professional and polite with me. It is just that I see the term used so often that I just assumed that it is a common nickname as oppose to somthing negative. I shall be more careful in the future (i.e. fully understand the definition of the term before using it).
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:17 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´d say there aren´t many FFs who are as talkative as the guy you saw (and I´ve never come across a FF who talked to the cleaning staff), but yes, I do make an effort to be friendly/polite, ask how their day is going - essentially some friendly small talk without holding up the process.
I do the same as well, with polite conversation and a smile. I figure that they deal with enough DKYWIA and unhappy people that being polite and kind is a small thing to do on my part.

Same for the check-in agents; occasionally I'll notice that when I first step up they are either reserved or brief in conversation, but after they see that you're not there to be a burden - again, with a smile and polite conversation - they warm up and are occasionally extra helpful.

Unless you encounter a dragon/agent that is specifically rude or abrupt towards you, what's the harm? I don't usually go into personal details though, or see them often enough to be recognized on sight.

As for familiarity, I've never seen that activity before in any of the lounges... wonder if he had one of those VIP cards from all his travels
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:29 pm

The YEG MLL staff are usually quite good but I don't really know anymore because I go across the hall to the Plaza Premium Lounge exclusively ever since it opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.