Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Whats a good cut off monetary value for points??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

I found a J class ticket to Asia which when translated for points (125,000) which after taking into account Fuel Surcharge comes out to about 0.036 cents per point.

Of course if I buy the J class...I get to earn more points as well as a more convenient routing (and a chance to fly ANA 787!!!

What is a good value per point cut off to consider when using points?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by llbean
I found a J class ticket to Asia which when translated for points (125,000) which after taking into account Fuel Surcharge comes out to about 0.036 cents per point.

Of course if I buy the J class...I get to earn more points as well as a more convenient routing (and a chance to fly ANA 787!!!

What is a good value per point cut off to consider when using points?
Grab this.

Cutoff value would depend upon status and ability to get access to much watered down IKK. Mine is 2 cents/mile. Flying to Europe this is based upon cost of a latitude pass. But without status, you are back in toaster territory. About 1 cent/mile. Of course onece in a while one does well.

But my estimates above refer to trying to fly where we need to go and when we need to go. Basically, getting my wife to travel with me on business trips.

No just grabbing a good opportunity and going.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
That's a pretty good value. I usually try for a higher value but in many cases I wouldn't actually spend the money. I did however get a 5cpm for YYC-YXE rt in September.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:59 pm

Less than 1 cpm: Poor
1 cpm to 1.5 cpm: Average
1.5 cpm to 2 cpm: Above average
2 cpm to 3 cpm: Good
3 cpm to 5 cpm: Very good
Greater than 5 cpm: Amazing
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
[QUOTE=llbean;21070513]I found a J class ticket to Asia which when translated for points (125,000) which after taking into account Fuel Surcharge comes out to about 0.036 cents per point.

QUOTE]

I hope you mean 3.6 cents per point, or $0.036 per point.
As stated, you are getting almost no value for your points - $45.00 for
125,000 points is certainly not worthwhile.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
What destination in Asian and how many stopovers ?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markandrew
What destination in Asian and how many stopovers ?

AE points to DPS...YEG-YVR-LAX-TPE-DPS

or

Buy a ticket YEG-YVR-HKG-SIN
and get a LCC SIN-DPS

Advantage is I also am going to be about 12k short of SE and this prevents the need for a mileage run in fall!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
I am conceptual-math challenged...

... But I really want to follow and understand this discussion.

If one is getting 2 cents per mile of value on a 125,000 point ticket, does that mean the value of the fare you're spending all those points on is $250??

Sorry not to grasp the direction of this equation. You may start chucking buns at me... Now.

TOA13B
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by TheOfficeAdmin13B
... But I really want to follow and understand this discussion.

If one is getting 2 cents per mile of value on a 125,000 point ticket, does that mean the value of the fare you're spending all those points on is $250??

Sorry not to grasp the direction of this equation. You may start chucking buns at me... Now.

TOA13B
Right concept, wrong math. 125,000 miles x $0.02/mile = $2,500.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Right concept, wrong math. 125,000 miles x $0.02/mile = $2,500.
Clouds part, angelic voices AH!

@:-)@:-) I thought it was 2 cents per mile of distance flown! @:-)@:-)

Now that makes much more sense. Thank you YEG USER!

Q#2: So does that mean, if I get my flyer a ticket YVR-YHZ for 25000 pts, when the cash money is $1000, I am getting him a ticket at 25cpm??

PS I'm really an amazing OA, honestly. I have problems with currency conversions also. :-(

TOA13B

Last edited by TheOfficeAdmin13B; Jul 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm Reason: typo & avoiding extra post
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Clouds part, angelic voices AH!

@:-)@:-) I thought it was 2 cents per mile of distance flown! @:-)@:-)

Now that makes much more sense. Thank you YEG USER!

Q#2: So does that mean, if I get my flyer a ticket YVR-YHZ for 25000 pts, when the cash money is $1000, I am getting him a ticket at 25cpm??

PS I'm really an amazing OA, honestly. I have problems with currency conversions also. :-(

TOA13B
Nope. You're doing it the wrong way again.

It's 4 cpm in that case (not bad either).
Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:50 pm

Thanks!

Originally Posted by jlisi984
Nope. You're doing it the wrong way again.

It's 4 cpm in that case (not bad either).

Uch, man. ^ Thank you!!

I was hired for my presentational skills, writing, and analogue systems hacking. I do seem to need a maths tutor, however

TOA13B
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Less than 1 cpm: Poor
1 cpm to 1.5 cpm: Average
1.5 cpm to 2 cpm: Above average
2 cpm to 3 cpm: Good
3 cpm to 5 cpm: Very good
Greater than 5 cpm: Amazing
So my reward tickets YYT-LHR which cost $1313 in scamcharges plus 120k points (for wife and daughter #1) which equates to a little over 1 cent per mile (if my math is right) is "average"? I thought it was an utter rip off but given that YYT-LHR direct is way better than any alternative routing it's a price one has to pay.

I've actually considered the toaster (well more accurately IPAD and Bose QC15) route for points. It seems that one really spends about double what the item is worth. But in a world when travel on points is more than likely to be the aforementioned route, that actually feels like a reasonable way to burn the points I earn through work travel.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:33 pm

Uch, man. ^ Thank you!!

I was hired for my presentational skills, writing, and analogue systems hacking. I do seem to need a maths tutor, however

TOA13B
And at that your maths are still off...

25,000 + 160.28$ of taxesversus a 1000$ ticket (which is a rip off at Tango prices BTW!) I would be looking at WJ or something simmilar; but say the market price was 1000$...

So for 25,000 you are saving 840$ 3.36CPM;

Realisticaly this route is in the 550-700$ range 2.2 to 2.8 which is good but not extraordinary.

Typicaly best value comes from a J/F redemption mini-rtw that would require full J fares or stacked Z/C/D's with some possible throw aways....

Example; I did YOW-YYZ-IST-JNB-CPT-IST-GVA-ZRH-YUL-YOW. The full fare price was around 15k; stacked round trips in Z came in at around 6k and would not have allowed me to experience the carriers I did. So depending on how you see it (150k points +250$ tax) this redemption came in at 4-10 CPM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by hearna
And at that your maths are still off...

25,000 + 160.28$ of taxesversus a 1000$ ticket (which is a rip off at Tango prices BTW!) I would be looking at WJ or something simmilar; but say the market price was 1000$...

So for 25,000 you are saving 840$ 3.36CPM;

Realisticaly this route is in the 550-700$ range 2.2 to 2.8 which is good but not extraordinary.
Understood. ^

I was trying to confirm I finally understood the equation correctly, so I tried with a very approximate all-in cost, using what I hoped was simple math. :\ But 25 cpm looked completely bananas to me!

Now, I'm sure my flyers would be thrilled to go to JNB / CPT! Not likely this year, however.

Cheers,
TOA13B

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.