FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1479850-distinction-aeroplans-new-member-recognition-program.html)

flyertalker00156 Jun 27, 2013 10:36 am

I am very confused what is happening right now so if I have 22K a year on my CC + 17K on flights that gives me 50K dblack. Will dblack give me any flight advantages upgrades etc? I think not so what will it give me apart from able to by a reward flight for less?

lowside67 Jun 27, 2013 10:36 am

No... this is a sign of the other thread regarding Aeroplan that started this morning and already has 8 pages of replies...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...n-program.html

Ah Cho Jun 27, 2013 10:36 am

it is just technical problems.
from AP facebook:
Aeroplan contact centre fees apply to all bookings made at the contact centre. We are working to resolve the issue on Aeroplan.com and you’ll be able to make a reward booking online once the site is back up. Thank you for your understanding.

Call centre system is also down for the moment.

flyertalker00156 Jun 27, 2013 10:37 am

people are getting too excited about Distinction from Aeroplan ;)

lowside67 Jun 27, 2013 10:38 am

Pretty much nothing. All the other changes are global and don't depend on Aeroplan Status... ie changing fixed mileage redemption levels, eliminating 7 year expiry, 50% one-way rates, etc.

alc Jun 27, 2013 11:05 am

I like the 50% one-way ClassicFlight reward. As I always need to wait that 355 days for my "return" date in order for me to book my trip. A lot of time, the outbound flight that I want is gone. But now I can do 2 one-way tickets. Also, I can now do 1 one-way ticket from my account, and then another from another account.

flyertalker00156 Jun 27, 2013 11:06 am

Originally Posted by alc (Post 20999984)
I like the 50% one-way ClassicFlight reward. As I always need to wait that 355 days for my "return" date in order for me to book my trip. A lot of time, the outbound flight that I want is gone. But now I can do 2 one-way tickets. Also, I can now do 1 one-way ticket from my account, and then another from another account.

+1 Good Point!

lowside67 Jun 27, 2013 11:07 am

One thing I wasn't clear on is whether the 1-way classic reward at 50% starts immediately?

alc Jun 27, 2013 11:14 am

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 20999995)
One thing I wasn't clear on is whether the 1-way classic reward at 50% starts immediately?

as far as I can tell, everything start at Jan 2014. They are informing us the changes only so we can get to the status that we want to be when the program start.

yodayoda Jun 27, 2013 11:22 am

Amazing how a 20% mileage hike for Business/First class redemption is being hailed as "Good News". And to be honest, the ClassicPlus redemption rates have been so absurd, a 20% reduction via Market Fare is an absolute joke.

It looks like we're in for a very painful 5 yr run until the AC/AE partnership status is resolved. It looks like both sides have pre-emptively laid the ground work for an eventual divorce (or at least we hope will be).

danapop Jun 27, 2013 11:34 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 20998740)
but its not too hard to sign up for a couple Amexes to get to 100k ;)

Per T&C sign-up bonuses don't count. Sorry if that is posted already. Just landed in YYJ from YYZ and catching up on the thread.

WR Cage Jun 27, 2013 11:42 am

Originally Posted by danapop (Post 20998207)
Maybe I'm niive but I don't think that many people spend 75-100K a year on a CC...

Doctors, Dentists, Orthodontists, anyone with company in the a medical field, Owner Managed Enterprises would all have spend north of $75K per annum on business supplies. Over 15 years ago (as an Accounting student in college) I asked my dentist about the ego wall photos of him at Disneyland (annual trip). The flights were paid for with AE miles (family of five) and the other expenses werew written off through the company so that he could be the "Cool" dentist to all the youngsters.

hastuk Jun 27, 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ (Post 20999518)
Wait...don't we have until end of this year?

For rewards that will take place in 2014 but that are booked now, what redemption amounts will be requested? If the current round trip redemption levels are good for travel booked now but taken in the future (ie 2014), there may be lots of people booking now so that could deplete the availability of flights which is often scarce to begin with. I also wanted to continue with my checking of possibilities today but with the site being done I can't.

yscleo Jun 27, 2013 11:47 am

Originally Posted by alc (Post 20999984)

The flip side is you booked the one-way out. Then on the day the return seats are available, you didn't get it right away. Then you're left having to spend much more in order to get back.:mad:

But yes, having the one-way at 50% does make it better that you'd grab the outbound ASAP when it's available.

echino Jun 27, 2013 11:56 am

Keep in mind that one ways are only available to/from Continental US and Canada. The mileage is decreasing from 67% to 50% of rt, but since stopovers are not allowed on one ways, you can't book you mini-RTW in two halves.