FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Distinction, Aeroplan's new member recognition program (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1479850-distinction-aeroplans-new-member-recognition-program.html)

kwflyer Oct 17, 2014 9:21 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr (Post 23580624)
hey everyone I need help on this!

I was disallowed three flights under this promotion as I was told that I needed to stay in the location to qualify. keep in mind this was after I was told Seattle did not qualify and that I did not fly AC.

Two of my flights were to Seattle, on AC metal and AC ticket. I was told I did not qualify as I took other star alliance flights while in Seattle, however I did spend the Saturday night in Seattle at the Hilton.

The AP Supervisor I spoke with stated I had to stay in Seattle for my trip, so I asked how far out of Seattle I was allowed to go, Burien, the Islands, Olympia etc. She simply stated I flew on too many trips! She felt I did not qualify for the bonus as I had other flights during my stay in Seattle, although I did stay the Saturday night as per T & C.

Again staff making stuff up, anyone having issues with this program or am I just special?

Did your case get resolved? I would have tried putting in a request for mileage credit.

CSW Oct 29, 2014 10:32 pm

Distinction - not that bad

Ok, there is a lot of bashing about Distinction - granted it is not elite FF program, but I do find value in the discounts on market fares.

I collect a lot of points on credit card usage and have "Diamond" but due to company policy can't collect FF points on air travel and therefore do not have status on AC.

One of the benefits of market fares is that there is no YQ - you actually just pay the airport improvement fees, the Canadian security fee and the GST on these two items. There is last minute availablity on market fares, no extraneous routings and with Diamond discount, the points required are often acceptable.

Recent example - had to book last minute flight for family emergency from YXH to YYJ. Able to find a wide selection of availability and the points were 32,000 with the discount (15,000 for regular award) but the taxes were only $35. If I had booked Air Canada lowest fare was $700. So, about 2 cents a point but no YQ.

To me that is worth the "diamond" which really doesn't cost me anything.

yvr76 Oct 30, 2014 2:23 am

No YQ for North America. But I believe for international flights there is still YQ.

alc Oct 30, 2014 5:48 am

More discussion on the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ket-fares.html

I do agreed that the whole dDiamond discount on Market Fares does work out sometimes for North America routes.

And they have those "Great Deals" flights like the one they have now to Europe
-> YYZ-LHR round trip for 27,600 AP, tax is ~$700
-> YYZ-FRA round tirp for 30,700 AP, tax is ~$650
-> YYZ-CDG round trip for 30,600 AP, tax is ~$600
-> YYZ-CPH round trip for 35750 AP, tax is ~$525

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...eat-deals.html

24left Oct 30, 2014 6:19 am

Originally Posted by alc (Post 23762249)
More discussion on the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ket-fares.html

I do agreed that the whole dDiamond discount on Market Fares does work out sometimes for North America routes.

And they have those "Great Deals" flights like the one they have now to Europe
-> YYZ-LHR round trip for 27,600 AP, tax is ~$700
-> YYZ-FRA round tirp for 30,700 AP, tax is ~$650
-> YYZ-CDG round trip for 30,600 AP, tax is ~$600
-> YYZ-CPH round trip for 35750 AP, tax is ~$525

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...eat-deals.html

I assume the YYZ-LHR you quote above is for just plain Y seat?

If so, I just checked ac.com and there are Tango seats for $800 and change.
I don't see the advantage of paying 27,600 plus $700, unless there is something else that comes with the "Great deals" seat

montezume Oct 30, 2014 6:25 am

Originally Posted by CSW (Post 23761260)
Ok, there is a lot of bashing about Distinction - granted it is not elite FF program, but I do find value in the discounts on market fares.

I collect a lot of points on credit card usage and have "Diamond" but due to company policy can't collect FF points on air travel and therefore do not have status on AC.

One of the benefits of market fares is that there is no YQ - you actually just pay the airport improvement fees, the Canadian security fee and the GST on these two items. There is last minute availablity on market fares, no extraneous routings and with Diamond discount, the points required are often acceptable.

Recent example - had to book last minute flight for family emergency from YXH to YYJ. Able to find a wide selection of availability and the points were 32,000 with the discount (15,000 for regular award) but the taxes were only $35. If I had booked Air Canada lowest fare was $700. So, about 2 cents a point but no YQ.

About 2 cents a point, but you would have earned 1400 points for booking on your cc, and some points for flying a revenue ticket, so after all of that it starts to look a little worse.

Geoflying Oct 30, 2014 6:58 am

Agreed

We typically use AP miles to fly YYZ-YHZ where our son is at university. Market fare rewards are usually available for any flight we want for around 35000 AP miles rather than the 25000 AP miles for classic rewards where you can usually only travel on late night or early morning flights AND you have to pay a lot more in scam charges. $73 for a round trip YYZ-YHZ plus some AP miles (of which I get more in a year than I use) is, for me, a good deal. I just priced out a round trip for Dec 12-15 at around $700 at the cheapest (no Tango fares left on Dec 15 YHZ-YYZ!!)

pkfk13 Oct 30, 2014 9:30 am

I also used the market value for Christmas flights to SJU from YOW via YYZ...with the Diamond discount it was cheaper than priority rewards, and the scam charges were only $28 bucks a ticket.

Worked out to about 2.2 cents per point - crappy compared to a J redemption for TATL, but I have tons of points so saving $1600 bucks was good.

QUESTION - the booking shows up as a Latitude fare:
- does that mean the meal is complimentary as if it was a purchased latitude fare ?

- any experience with e-upgrade ? Is is offered at check-in because it is a latitude fare, or is it blocked because it was "bought" via aeroplan ?

Cana2013 Oct 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76 (Post 23761722)
No YQ for North America. But I believe for international flights there is still YQ.

Very little availability of market fare for international flights.

Shareholder Oct 30, 2014 4:54 pm

[QUOTE=CSW;23761260]...due to company policy can't collect FF points on air travel and therefore do not have status on AC./QUOTE]

Perhaps you should find yourself another employer. Even civil servants are permitted their FF accounts/miles on government travel. How low can a company go in screwing an employee out of a rightful benefit available to any Canadian?!

heraclitus Oct 30, 2014 8:47 pm

[QUOTE=Shareholder;23765808]

...due to company policy can't collect FF points on air travel and therefore do not have status on AC./QUOTE]

Perhaps you should find yourself another employer. Even civil servants are permitted their FF accounts/miles on government travel. How low can a company go in screwing an employee out of a rightful benefit available to any Canadian?!

That strikes me as a remarkably petty policy. So a company with a policy like that simply doesn't allow an employee to enter a FF# on their itinerary when flying, the points go to waste, and that's it? WOW. I hope the company has other upsides... I don't think too many FTers would voluntarily remain in circumstances like that!

Argonaut1000 Oct 30, 2014 9:20 pm

I heard that a large international furniture retailer has this policy.

Pseudo Nim Oct 30, 2014 9:52 pm

[QUOTE=heraclitus;23766735]

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 23765808)

That strikes me as a remarkably petty policy. So a company with a policy like that simply doesn't allow an employee to enter a FF# on their itinerary when flying, the points go to waste, and that's it? WOW. I hope the company has other upsides... I don't think too many FTers would voluntarily remain in circumstances like that!

I find this not simply petty but impossible to enforce. You don't put a FF# on a reservation, then retro claim the points. Which is electronic these days anyway, so no need to modify or submit boarding passes.

1Newflyer Nov 2, 2014 10:34 pm

What else is Diamond status good for? I might just hit it next few weeks.

cennis Dec 23, 2019 4:08 pm

3000 miles short of diamond, worth it to reach diamond? Any other benefits outside of change/cancellation fees?